Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 17, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #6,436 of 23,494
Other than the ********* going on above which is exceptionally childish, I have a super legitimate question.

Anyone here own the Lyr/2 and Mjolnir or heard the two or own one and heard the other (etc...) who can give a little impression of the two? I won't be getting either for quite a long time, and listening to the Carbon in balanced is going to be a big deciding factor for me as well, but I need something with end-game capability and pre-outs for speaker amps in the future.
I mean, I'd love to get into tubes and all, but I really just want to go solid state so I don't get itchy fingers and try to get into 200+ tubes or something dumb like that. :p

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #6,437 of 23,494

I would offer that a 48 hours cease fire here and in Ember thread be considered by all.
let Jude do the due diligence.

but it's also clear that the one sided moderation and massive post deletions to (and reactions about) rb2013's banning escalated the topic way beyond initial "amp to amp" disagreements.

I agree 100%

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6,438 of 23,494
Other than the ********* going on above which is exceptionally childish, I have a super legitimate question.

Anyone here own the Lyr/2 and Mjolnir or heard the two or own one and heard the other (etc...) who can give a little impression of the two? I won't be getting either for quite a long time, and listening to the Carbon in balanced is going to be a big deciding factor for me as well, but I need something with end-game capability and pre-outs for speaker amps in the future.
I mean, I'd love to get into tubes and all, but I really just want to go solid state so I don't get itchy fingers and try to get into 200+ tubes or something dumb like that.
tongue.gif

Dumb but fun...lol

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #6,440 of 23,494
  ...but it's also clear that the one sided moderation and massive post deletions to (and reactions about) rb2013's banning escalated the topic way beyond initial "amp to amp" disagreements.

@jexby, once again, I'm going to look carefully through both threads, but I'm going to need some time to do it.

Regarding the posts discussing the ban that were deleted: As on many other forum sites I visit, the discussion of bans isn't something we allow on our forums. While I understand you probably don't agree, yesterday didn't change my nearly 14-year position on that policy.

As @rb2013 stated, I am the one who lifted the ban and contacted him to let him know, with an explanation of my position on it, and I won't discuss it here further.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #6,442 of 23,494
I mean, I'd love to get into tubes and all, but I really just want to go solid state so I don't get itchy fingers and try to get into 200+ tubes or something dumb like that.
tongue.gif

The question is, which Lyr/2? You change the tubes and you have a different amp! Whereas the Mjonlnir never changes. It is the ability to tailor the sound of a tube amp in search of a certain synergy with the rest of my gear that I find so appealing.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #6,443 of 23,494
Good point!  You said you don't own a Lyr or a Ember.  So what are you doing trolling here?

He's defending himself because you keep including him in a list of people you associate with 'uncool'. He's being chill and calm and hasn't done any trolling at all. You, on the other hand, are in need of a time out. Close the tab and go get a snack. Cool out before you post again dude.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #6,444 of 23,494
I still haven't even heard a tube amp, so maybe I'll have to find a meet 'fore I throw down my cents and dollars on something I'm gonna live with for the rest of my headphone enthusiade!

I really like my Lyr.  Big upgrade from my Fiio.  I also have a Emotiva DC-1 I use as a DAC, but I use my Lyr as the amp not the solid state amp in the Emotiva.

As far as tubes. It took over a dozen pairs to find what I really liked.  Everybody ears are different.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #6,445 of 23,494

I would offer that a 48 hours cease fire here and in Ember thread be considered by all.
let Jude do the due diligence.

but it's also clear that the one sided moderation and massive post deletions to (and reactions about) rb2013's banning escalated the topic way beyond initial "amp to amp" disagreements.

I agree 100%

+1

...but it's also clear that the one sided moderation and massive post deletions to (and reactions about) rb2013's banning escalated the topic way beyond initial "amp to amp" disagreements.

@jexby, once again, I'm going to look carefully through both threads, but I'm going to need some time to do it.

Regarding the posts discussing the ban that were deleted: As on many other forum sites I visit, the discussion of bans isn't something we allow on our forums. While I understand you probably don't agree, yesterday didn't change my nearly 14-year position on that policy.

As @rb2013 stated, I am the one who lifted the ban and contacted him to let him know, with an explanation of my position on it, and I won't discuss it here further.

Guys,
I am quite happy that @jude is going to look at this now. I for one, have been quite for the past 24 hours even though I am a fairly active member of head-fi and the Lyr thread. I was worried that there is no one making sure our freedom of speech, as long as we maintain politeness and factualness, remains intact. Seeing this post and previous posts from Jude makes me feel a bit better that this situation is not gonna be tolerated and will be investigated.

@Jude you will have your hands full this weekend and we appreciated the community and your efforts on this issue. Trust me when I say, that your intervention to decide what's what will be instrumental to make sure a ton of good knowledge and community contribution doesn't migrate to another forum away from head-fi. We like it here and we want to stay, as long as we are allowed to speak freely, maintain respect, and make sure there is no deletions or censorship of what we write.

May I kindly request all you guys to cool your jets and let's call a truce for a couple of days as mentioned above?

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,446 of 23,494
The question is, which Lyr/2? You change the tubes and you have a different amp! Whereas the Mjonlnir never changes. It is the ability to tailor the sound of a tube amp in search of a certain synergy with the rest of my gear that I find so appealing.

How big would you say the changes are in different tubes? And where does the rate of return start to fall on tubes themselves? I don't doubt the Lyr2 is a fantastic amp, I'm just worried that upgraditis will kick in and I'll have urges to upgrade tubes all the time. :p

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,447 of 23,494

@jude
agreed, it's time consuming to do it properly.  but your efforts will be appreciated over hasty one-sided methods.

not asking you to change a 14yr policy, asking for fair and impartial moderation which has not been occurring in this case, or many others frankly.

and finally, not asking for any public explanation.  hoping it get's handled internally.

best of luck,

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #6,448 of 23,494
I really like my Lyr.  Big upgrade from my Fiio.  I also have a Emotiva DC-1 I use as a DAC, but I use my Lyr as the amp not the solid state amp in the Emotiva.

As far as tubes. It took over a dozen pairs to find what I really liked.  Everybody ears are different.

Here's where I wish I had a hifi store near me that sold tubes. If I spent some quality time with the owner, I'm sure they'd let me audition the tubes!

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,449 of 23,494
tongue.gif

One man's idiocy is another man's passion.  Passionate people can sometimes get a little testy.  Just sayin'.

That said, there's no reason you can't own and enjoy the Lyr [2] with just the stock tubes, or a couple pairs of better NOS tubes.  You're obviously aware of the arguments for better tubes, so you can take that into account when making your decision.  If, however, as you say, you really just want to go SS, there is no dearth of excellent choices.  Perhaps your efforts are best spent exploring those options.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,450 of 23,494
My posts here speak for themselves mate. I've been brought into something I'd rather not be involved in but I will not have my good name traduced in this way. It would be interesting to hear what Schiits people think of this guy trolling other companies thread, presumably in their name. It's not cool.

And your name calling me a 'Shill' for Schiit.  And no ban for you.  Now you show up here?  That's cool? I didn't troll the thread like you and your buddies have been doing for months on the Lyr 2 thread.  Just since half the Ember thread was about the Lyr with much false information.  I only stated some facts.  Before you and the rest of the pack  -pounced on me with personal attacks.  I will defend myself.  What was my transgression?  Restating one of the folks there who called himself a Fanboy.  Every other of the 3 or 4 posts were the true facts about the Lyr not the frequent misstatements.

But for Currawong those factual posts (polite and respectful) were deemed blasphemy and deleted and I was Banned!  You all can troll the Lyr 2 thread for months and personally attack me and others no problemo.

PS Anyway - don't get your panties in a bunch all this will be deleted by morning as is the SOP here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back