Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,081 of 23,494
Another good budget tube is the genalex Gold Lions, that sounds better than the stock tubes. I do plan on doing a review on as current production Telefunken E88CC TK tubes.

That would be great. I was wondering about those new current Telefunken.  Many say they are just rebranded JJ tubes. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,082 of 23,494

The two most affordable that come to mind are: Tesla ECC88 and Voskhod Rocket 6N1P/ECC88

The Voskhod Rocket 6N1P is not completely equiv to the ECC88 - I think you might mean the 6N23P. 

The 6N1P requires considerably more heater current then the 6N23P - so is not compatible with the Lyr2 at all and runs very, very hot in the Lyr 1 (which is already a little toasty).

From a sound quality perspective the 6N1P is not even in the same league as the vintage 70's 6N23Ps. 
I know this thread is insanely long - but this has been posted about extensively.

But if anyone wants to give the 6N1Ps a try - I have quite a few available.  The very rare Novosibirsk '66 6N1P-E with triple micas, gold grids and black box anodes, '74s and '75s Voskhod 6N1P-IVs with gold grids, Voskhod '66 double mica 6N1Ps, very rare heavy duty 6N5P '60s Novosibirsk with triple micas and black box anodes , etc...  You name it I have it!  Just PM if interested.

For those fans of the 6n23p - just aquired the rarest of the rare - a 1963 Reflektor with an extra plate above the top mica - so a 'triple mica' two micas and a plate!  AND the single wire getter support.  This one goes under glass - up on the mantle.  If anyone comes across a similar tube  - let me know I only have one and would like to try in the Lyr.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #4,084 of 23,494

For those fans of the 6n23p - just aquired the rarest of the rare - a 1963 Reflektor with an extra plate above the top mica - so a 'triple mica'!  AND the single wire getter support.  This one goes under glass - up on the mantle.  If anyone comes across a similar tube  - let me know I only have one and would like to try in the Lyr.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Nice acquisition 
beerchug.gif

Not to be nitpicky, but is that really a triple mica, or is the top plate/disc below the getter holder just a splash guard?  The material looks different than the micas in the photos.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #4,088 of 23,494
I thought this was a triple mica:

:)

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #4,089 of 23,494

Nice acquisition 
beerchug.gif

Not to be nitpicky, but is that really a triple mica, or is the top plate/disc below the getter holder just a splash guard?  The material looks different than the micas in the photos.

Tough crowd -

"For those fans of the 6n23p - just aquired the rarest of the rare - a 1963 Reflektor with an extra plate above the top mica - so a 'triple mica' two micas and a plate!  AND the single wire getter support.  This one goes under glass - up on the mantle."
deadhorse.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #4,090 of 23,494
Rare indeed! I've never seen one like that before. :)

Tough crowd -

"For those fans of the 6n23p - just aquired the rarest of the rare - a 1963 Reflektor with an extra plate above the top mica - so a 'triple mica' two micas and a plate!  AND the single wire getter support.  This one goes under glass - up on the mantle."
:deadhorse:

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #4,091 of 23,494
That would be great. I was wondering about those new current Telefunken.  Many say they are just rebranded JJ tubes. 

I plan to burn in the Telefunken E88CC TK tubes and listen to my favorite headphones and let everyone know how they sound. I have not heard JJ tubes, but will take pics and compare to JJ tubes.
Cheers.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #4,092 of 23,494

Give the vintage '70s  6n23p Voskhod Rockets a try - they're awesome. Very detailed, smooth, deep bass, and a wide and deep sound stage.  And matched pairs of early '70s can be had for around $40-$60.

Here was a great post from over on the Lyr2 thread:
The dates codes are super easy to read - years plainly marked and months in roman numerals.  It's best to get them as closely matched as possible - as least by year, factory (there are only 2 - Voskhod and Reflektor) and construction (gray or silver shield, wire or plate getter posts).  The Rockets have little rocket stamps on them.

Here is my review of the different yrs and constructions from last year:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/8595 post #8606

Good Luck and Happy Rolling!
beyersmile.png

Cheers!~
beerchug.gif

The two most affordable that come to mind are: Tesla ECC88 and Voskhod Rocket 6N23P/ECC88 (revised)

Wonderful, thank you both for your recommendations 
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4,094 of 23,494

What is the Russian equivalent of a 6922 or 7308, gold pins, balanced triodes and the like? 

I have a set of 6n23p 1977 grey shield, I think I bought them from you.  Would those tubes be more like the standard 6dj8.

Thanks

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #4,095 of 23,494
  I just got my pair of Telefunken tubes.  They were used matched pair.
When I installed it.  One is taller and the other shorter. 

Sound wise, there is definitely more air, more detail and layering.  But I'm confused about the size?

I got the reply from the eBay seller.  Here was his explanation: 
"Here's a site that talks about the tube codes. http://www.audiotubes.com/teledate.htm perhaps you can determine if they are from different years or maybe one was made in Berlin and the other made at the Ulm factory. When I mentioned closely matched in the listing, I was referring to the Gm readings taken with my tube tester. One might be a mm taller, but they have the same getters and construction looks the same. They could have been made at the same factory but on different days by different people. So yes, they are both 6DJ8 tubes and they are both Telefunken manufactured as evidenced by the diamond in the base of the tube."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back