Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2,536 of 8,735
I've been using some National/Matsuschiita 6DJ8's I got off of ebay for the past two weeks. They've become my favorite tubes in the Lyr, even a tad bit better than the Mullards I love so much. Very nice sound, overall. Clean without being thin.
The real test comes next week: I have a DNA Sonett amp coming in. Gonna compare the Lyr to it to see which I will be keeping.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #2,537 of 8,735
I've had my Lyr now for for 3-4 months and bought it with the NOS 6BZ7 tubes and was wondering what peoples general consensus was with them? My headphones are Senn HD600's which are by no means bright but since buying the Lyr these things are almost as bright as the Grado SR225's I used to have. Not only the brightness but it seems like the bass I used to enjoy with these is nearly gone from the last amps I've owned. I can't even clearly follow bass lines anymore in the music. While I don't want to rag on them or anything but I can't really think of any redeeming qualities to these tubes yet. What are these tubes supposed to be good at? 

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,538 of 8,735
I've been using some National/Matsuschiita 6DJ8's I got off of ebay for the past two weeks. They've become my favorite tubes in the Lyr, even a tad bit better than the Mullards I love so much. Very nice sound, overall. Clean without being thin.
The real test comes next week: I have a DNA Sonett amp coming in. Gonna compare the Lyr to it to see which I will be keeping.

They are fair tubes at best I sold those long ago... maybe with your sound chain they sound better than the Mullards but which Mullards there are many variants..

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #2,539 of 8,735
If I want a tube for my lyr that is quiet, really strong bass and some sparkle in the trebles.What would be the best tube to use?
Mullard CV2492 / E88CC ??
Gold Lion?
Or are there anything better?

Thanks
Matthew

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,540 of 8,735
Hey Likui. We can only speak in generalities, as your audio chain will have much to do with how much bass, mids, dimensionality or treble you hear. Many Mullard tubes share those characteristics (CV2492 is one of them). You'll also find that German E188CC's or Amperex 7308's fit your bill. I'd say that either of these would be a good place to start and then roll from there. Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on your viewpoint), there's no direct path to finding your optimum tube. Too many variables. Then when you find your ideal tube for your chain, you'll upgrade something and the rolling starts again 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
If I want a tube for my lyr that is quiet, really strong bass and some sparkle in the trebles.What would be the best tube to use?
Mullard CV2492 / E88CC ??
Gold Lion?
Or are there anything better?

Thanks
Matthew

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #2,542 of 8,735
Quote:
Subscribed! So much to read here. Thanks very much for the plethora of posts, all! :)

It's our pleasure to promote and perpetuate prolific posts in perpetuity for your personal pondering, in public or private, providing you proffer a preponderance of personal proverbs of your positive, or perhaps negative, experiences in said posted plethora...
biggrin.gif

Err...what was the question again? 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Poop! Now I gotta go pee!

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2,543 of 8,735
Wow. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
It's our pleasure to promote and perpetuate prolific posts in perpetuity for your personal pondering, in public or private, providing you proffer a preponderance of personal proverbs of your positive, or perhaps negative, experiences in said posted plethora...
biggrin.gif

wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2,544 of 8,735
Quote:
biggrin.gif

wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2,545 of 8,735
Quote:
Quote:

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Yeah, I always enjoy watching that part.  I guess Evie's question applies to me as well, "Are you a crazy person?"

Guilty as charged.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2,546 of 8,735
Thanks for the warm wordy welcome, HK and cohorts! I heard that you tubies are a strange sort, but now I am experiencing this, firsthand. I hope it's not catching, but you may also call me "V", for I generally go by V, Vin, Vince or Vincent.
wink.gif

Near the beginning of this thread, there was quite a lot of hype concerning the 6N23P's (vs the 6N1P's that sound rather unmusical and thin to these ears; maybe extensive burn-in is warranted). Is this still the case, or can I expect to have to seek out rather expensive Amperex PQ's/Bugle Boys and/or Mullards and call it a day? So far, I am rather happy with my Gold Lion E88CC's and Sylvania 6BZ7's, but have an itch to try several more.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,547 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for the warm wordy welcome, HK and cohorts! I heard that you tubies are a strange sort, but now I am experiencing this, firsthand. I hope it's not catching, but you may also call me "V", for I generally go by V, Vin, Vince or Vincent.
wink.gif

Near the beginning of this thread, there was quite a lot of hype concerning the 6N23P's (vs the 6N1P's that sound rather unmusical and thin to these ears; maybe extensive burn-in is warranted). Is this still the case, or can I expect to have to seek out rather expensive Amperex PQ's/Bugle Boys and/or Mullards and call it a day? So far, I am rather happy with my Gold Lion E88CC's and Sylvania 6BZ7's, but have an itch to try several more.

Hi, V!

There are two fairly low cost tube options with excellent sound I can recommend:

Tungsram PCC88 which have a surprisingly good overall sound (especially when using tube dampers).  You can find them here: http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm  or perhaps even cheaper for a set on ebay.

The other tube is the Matsus*ta 6922 tube found here: http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm  ...another surprisingly good sounding tube.

There are many people that do like the 6N23Ps (I had a set for a while myself), but there are some other reasonably priced options that can tailor your sound such as the above.

I will say (as would Mr. Scary), the higher you set the bar for sound quality, the more you will end up spending on tubes.  Good luck in your tube rolling journey!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,548 of 8,735
I use both the 6N1P and 6BZ7 in my LYR and both have exc sq but the large sound stage with the 6NIPs is addictive even if the 6BZ7s are smoother with more pronounced bass on my HF HE 5LE That just my experience.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #2,549 of 8,735
What other qualities do the 6N1P's have that the GE 6BZ7's don't have? Is there supposed to be a burn in time for tubes like most amps or is it just a matter of them warming up and good to go? I probably have about 40-50 hours on them so far. Don't know much about tubes. Might have to try the 6N1P's tho.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #2,550 of 8,735

Quote:
Quote:

One thing eludes me.....

For that amount of Verbose Verbiage, you have left out the most important V, and that's VALVES!

atsmile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back