Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #61,981 of 154,835
Maybe this will inspire a firmware update for a special Freya S/+ mode that puts it into HT bypass mode? :)

I was thinking it would respond to two new IR codes that would switch the preamp to a particular input (say, balanced 1 or SE 3 depending on which IR code), turn on passive mode, and turn the volume up full, maybe muted so if it accidentally happens, it won't blow your speakers away. One can dream!

We experimented with firmware that let you set the volume per input, but it was simply too confusing. It's wayyyy too easy to turn it into a one-button speaker launcher.

Just turn the volume all the way up in passive for home theater. That's what I'll be doing.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #61,982 of 154,835
To answer your rain question, I'm south of the Seattle area and it rains a little more there than here, but when it rains, it's generally more of a heavy mist or sprinkle, but that may last several hours or a couple of days. The thing that I don't care for is it may be overcast for many days in a row during late Fall thru middle to late Spring. I last lived about 20ish miles east of St Louis and the rain that you experience there almost never happens here. Sometimes we do get an actual downpour but it doesn't last very long and is very, very infrequent. To give you an example, I have a huge Douglas Fir at the end of my driveway and even after it "rains" all day, I come home from work and the ground underneath it is dry.

edited to add: I missed the much shorter answer to the rain question. Soory aboot that.
Yeah I think the prevalent overcast and mostly-cloudy (but dry) days would bother me almost as much as a rainy days.

I still really want to visit the PNW though. I love nature, hiking, and camping and I've yet do so anywhere around there.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #61,983 of 154,835
I posted them before...these guys.speaker transport.JPG
Circa 1992.

point one and center.jpg
At the old house.

So many things to love. The flamed El Camino and a Fiero are noteworthy, but the Odeon steals the show!! :D

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #61,984 of 154,835
So many things to love. The flamed El Camino and a Fiero are noteworthy, but the Odeon steals the show!! :D

Technically, scalloped. Something that was popular for a few seconds in the 80s.

But yeah, not bad looking for something from the big bumper years.

Edit: oh hell, and looking at it again, those are the early versions with back-firing drivers...that means it's more like 1989 than 1992. Those speakers were made in Jose's backyard shop we built with $1000 of lumber from Home Depot (the shop, not the speakers). The ones I have were built in our clapped-out, heater less, ac-less, 1000 square foot wood shop in Sylmar. Truly palatial!

Edit to the edit: jeebus, these damn things are 30 years old! Time for some updates, for sure. Nothing's been done to them except replacing a couple of blown drivers. They sound great for home theater, but are a bit rolled on the top end for music.

Attachments

• PIC_0017.JPG
    PIC_0017.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #61,986 of 154,835
On a remastering-related topic:
Does anyone have any experience with the various Led Zeppelin remasters out there? The Japanese SHM? The Complete Recordings box set? Rather than derail this thread, please send a PM with your thoughts.
YES! Whatever you do, DON'T DERAIL THIS THREAD!

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #61,987 of 154,835
Not really wanting to searching this whole thread, is there an opinion from those who may have heard the Bifrost Unison vs Gen 5 as to the potential sound difference?
yes.... also the new Transport will feature (per Mike's thread) a Unison based transmitter. on the Yggdrasil impressions thread many users (including the beta testers) noticed a sound difference between gen 5 and Unison.

Mike has touted Unison as being better sounding over Gen 5 and predecessors, and was for the longest time a skeptic of USB as an audio interface, also preferring coax s/pdif over optical (toslink). Personally, I have tested optical vs coaxial on my setup: old Sony NS500V SACD player using both optical and generic RG-59 coax video cable into a Bifrost Multibit OG / Asgard 2 setup, and find the coax to have much better performance vs optical, consistent with Mike's recommendation-- so I take Mike at his word that Unison is something special for USB audio sources.

yggdrasil thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-676

mike's thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-a-long-strange-trip-its-been-robert-hunter.784471/page-849

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #61,989 of 154,835
Technically, scalloped. Something that was popular for a few seconds in the 80s.

But yeah, not bad looking for something from the big bumper years.

Edit: oh hell, and looking at it again, those are the early versions with back-firing drivers...that means it's more like 1989 than 1992. Those speakers were made in Jose's backyard shop we built with $1000 of lumber from Home Depot (the shop, not the speakers). The ones I have were built in our clapped-out, heater less, ac-less, 1000 square foot wood shop in Sylmar. Truly palatial!

Edit to the edit: jeebus, these damn things are 30 years old! Time for some updates, for sure. Nothing's been done to them except replacing a couple of blown drivers. They sound great for home theater, but are a bit rolled on the top end for music.

probably just need some new caps in the crossovers.

Jul 17, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #61,991 of 154,835
Jul 17, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #61,992 of 154,835
Capture.JPG

Installing the new car speakers in the El Camino proved to be a difficult task, but well worth the effort. My Pioneer Supertuner never sounded better -- as long as I didn't accelerate suddenly, brake suddenly, or make any sharp turns.

**OK. Jason really didn't say that, but I'm sure he thought it.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #61,995 of 154,835
I got a set of HEDD headphones, all 718 grams of them, princess leia's buns with AMT drivers in them!!

After many hours and 20 + amps the one amp that I have consistently settled in on with these fairly inefficient cans is the Jotenheim!
Over the Lyr 3, Magni 3 and lots of other good amps...and of course a fine Bifrost 2. Balanced.

Run on high gain, SE (building a balanced cable) and the overall sound, presention is just sublime...drives the HEDDs with authority...

Alex

Thought I would give you all a good laugh this AM!!
Almost silly as those bw pix with the Camino and Speakers!! LOL

1me.jpg

1WP_20200324_10_00_43_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back