Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #149,776 of 152,594
He's obviously of fine pedigree and a privileged upbringing. Plain ol' cats would be happy with single wall. 🤣
True, but other than the additional real estate and the fact that it's a Schiit box (No, not a litter box! 🙄 A Schiit-provided shipping box.), I feel like he downgraded compared to his usual digs.

And speaking of cats with questionable relationships to high-end cardboard: You should ask @JamminVMI about his cat Azzy and the condition of a certain brand-new cardboard cat bed. If you do, I hope he includes a trigger warning; it's not for the faint of heart, to say the least.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #149,777 of 152,594
True, but other than the additional real estate and the fact that it's a Schiit box (no, not a litter box! 🙄), I feel like he downgraded compared to his usual digs.
Perhaps he's trying to experience how the lower class lives. 🤣

When you get to your new digs, you should set up a rec room for him:

Cat Porch.jpg

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #149,778 of 152,594
Here's a fun treat. Anybody like Andes mints? Well, get yerself some proper 125 proof Absinthe (doesn't have to be OSD but bonus points if you do) and add 2-3oz straight into your hot chocolate. The dilution is perfect and it makes that cocoa zing!

It's even a good one for those who are licorice-averse as that flavor component largely disappears.

IMG_7213.jpeg
Somehow, I ended up with the pocket sized version... will need to request the larger size next time. :cocktail:

IMG_1318.JPEG

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #149,779 of 152,594
Perhaps he's trying to experience how the lower class lives. 🤣

When you get to your new digs, you should set up a rec room for him:

Cat Porch.jpg
The new place is a second floor apartment. Now that you posted this I'm contemplating if I should get one of these and have it dangle out one of my windows. I'm sure the downstairs neighbors will appreciate just how blessed they are to be in such a privileged position to watch Mojito lounge in an oversized kitten-hammock right outside their own window. 😁

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #149,781 of 152,594
Somehow, I ended up with the pocket sized version... will need to request the larger size next time. :cocktail:

You need an Embiggenator! That's good for one cup of cocoa.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #149,782 of 152,594
I may well have received the Amperex from a friend on here. I am so glad the surgery went well. I am about to open another box of record albums to see if which gems I received. Early on Finnegan tried to make friends with this striped “cat” and luckily got away with just a warning. 🙀IMG_7842.jpegIMG_7841.jpeg

You've got to train Finnegan that it's definitely not a squirrel...! 🥴

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #149,783 of 152,594
You've got to train Finnegan that it's definitely not a squirrel...! 🥴
I believe he learned his lesson, hopefully he does not try to befriend coyotes, we get those as well.

Todays listen goes well back in time, early folk and rock.
Don Quixote by Gordon Lightfoot
Snow Blind Friend by Steppenwolf
Lots of Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Seeger, Kingston Trio etc.

Lots of record cleaning.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #149,784 of 152,594
I believe he learned his lesson, hopefully he does not try to befriend coyotes, we get those as well.

Todays listen goes well back in time, early folk and rock.
Don Quixote by Gordon Lightfoot
Snow Blind Friend by Steppenwolf
Lots of Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Seeger, Kingston Trio etc.

Lots of record cleaning.
Glad that you are pleased with your acquisitions---more to follow.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #149,785 of 152,594
Glad that you are pleased with your acquisitions---more to follow.
The Vanguard record of the 1963 Newport Folk Festival is in amazing condition. This music is a bit of a time capsule and receiving it in smaller batches helps me appreciate each album more.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #149,786 of 152,594
The new place is a second floor apartment. Now that you posted this I'm contemplating if I should get one of these and have it dangle out one of my windows. I'm sure the downstairs neighbors will appreciate just how blessed they are to be in such a privileged position to watch Mojito lounge in an oversized kitten-hammock right outside their own window. 😁
Perhaps the neighbors will be accommodating if you use something other than empty Tidy Cat containers for structural support.

Then again, where better to store used litter? 🤣

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #149,787 of 152,594
Only hypothesis that makes any sense to me is that the cheap SMPS with the Netgear injects more noise in the wiring.
I'm not an EE (my faculty advisor, if he was still alive, would tell you that I'm barely a ME) but through my recent research, I am beginning to understand how much a tiny amount of noise can affect circuit performance. I have been reading up on power supplies; how they (should) perform (theoretically) and how they are affected by injected or induced noise. The same caveats should apply to Ethernet... which would likely make PoE devices verboten for audio use, but of course YMMV.

I always thought of noise in a circuit in the context of audio, as an increase in the overall noise floor. It's much more insidious in the real world - distortion in an AC waveform actually rides on the 60Hz sine wave and affects the "smoothness" of the "curve" itself. I can imagine that the same schiit happens on a Cat 6 cable if the transmitter/receiver pair are less than stellar in their noise performance... and that would affect timing, and that would affect the integrity of the delivered stream. Or it could. YMMV more than ever, here.

My streamer gets its data wirelessly, from a (relatively ancient) dedicated Netgear WAC120 AP that is cabled to my router. I have my fingers crossed that it continues to perform, because as far as I can hear, it does its job well.

Now, to get back to those room treatments... <g>

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #149,788 of 152,594
Yeah, that's a pretty old article. Computes double every 2 years so, since that was written, we can do 32-64-128 times more filtering in the same amount of time, or something.

In that article, the response by the author of Audiolense was most illuminating.
Like others, I have to thank Artur9 for calling my attention to the comments there - far more interesting than the article, to me. Something about black and white oversimplification versus the nuance and detail of how things really are.

As has been said, 2010 is quite some time ago in these matters. Electronic sound absorbers are definitely on the market now, I once saw some ANC solutions for large spaces when looking for vibration cancellation for electron microscopy. I guess to some extent such things did exist in 2010 as well but now it is an expected feature on consumer headphones.

I do think it is now the case that DSP can help greatly with most acoustic issues, but also that it can never 100% solve most if even any of them. It may come close for one specific listening position in the room and I think it can even be beneficial in a LIAR test, but I'd be very surprised if acoustic treatment can ever be replaced (without using a similar area of speaker cones).

On the other hand, it requires digital, ADC and DAC. And I may be crazy but it seems to me that there is still some intangible quality in a full analog PA system that disappears in pretty much all recordings as well as when there is a digital mixing console or DSP-corrected loudspeakers in the mix. I have yet to hear True Multibit, not to mention with equally non-approximate math on the ADC side. I wonder if that might do it, really retain the magic that otherwise seems to go missing when going digital... and if it does not, what understanding of digital representation of sound we're still missing.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #149,789 of 152,594
Perhaps the neighbors will be accommodating if you use something other than empty Tidy Cat containers for structural support.

Then again, where better to store used litter? 🤣
Structural support? Empty Tidy Cat containers? Nah, I'm not that fancy. It'd just be dangling in the hill country wind, jungle gym style.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #149,790 of 152,594
I may well have received the Amperex from a friend on here. I am so glad the surgery went well. I am about to open another box of record albums to see if which gems I received. Early on Finnegan tried to make friends with this striped “cat” and luckily got away with just a warning. 🙀IMG_7842.jpegIMG_7841.jpeg
Finnegan sure gets around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back