Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 29, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #149,686 of 151,801
Definitely the very best speaker cables i've ever heard of.
No such claim is made. Best I could find for my Apogees at near zero cost - yes. Best, nope. At the time the Symo cable (wicked expensive, and recommended by Jason Bloom at Apogee) were audibly better, but they were epically costly, IIRC over $2K for a pair back then. I decided industrial (literally) was fine.

I’ve no idea what they sound like on any speakers other than Apogees and my old Vandersteen IIc’s (where they worked well also).

So, not objectively (nor necessarily subjectively) the “best”.

That said, if anyone can find such cabling cost-effectively today, it’d be well worth experimenting in my experience.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #149,687 of 151,801
You should check out Wine For the People next time you’re in Fredericksburg and cruise over to Blanco to visit Real Ale, one of the OG Texas craft brewers (just celebrated 28 years) with a (relatively) recent micro-distillery on-site (full disclosure, I consider Rae the winemaker at the Winery and Tim the head of brewing at Real Ale friends), but I think you’d enjoy their approaches to both business and product. There are some similarities in your corporate DNA.

Also, had friends with a solar/rainwater catchment system in the Hill Country. Solar worked out pretty well (with 15 or 20 year older tech), but the rainwater tanks required top-ups many summers.
Wifey and I went there multiple times (Real Ale). Great place, product, and people. We miss how dog-friendly all the places in the Hill Country are as well. Blanco’s an easy peasy shot up 281 from Comfort/Boerne area (heck you could even take back roads - fun to drive - via Sisterdale… and tour Luckenback, which is just around the corner.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #149,688 of 151,801
Sorry turn of events! I simply asked a question and raised an issue. I did not say your cable was not proper. Clearly it’s ok being multi strand et al. Now we are raising professional credentials? I will not get into that.

I wished we would be less high strung.
Wasn’t trying to be, just seemed like you were questioning their efficacy based solely on guage and issues I know I didn’t/never had. My “credentials” as a EE are extremely and sorely out of date and rusty. Don’t even ask me to dig back into FFT’s and all the other crap I had to learn. I remember the concepts and bigger picture stuffs; anything else I’d literally have to almost re-learn at this point. Plus bring into computer software, I was more into the then very nascent digital logic and circuitry. TI had only just come out with their TTL series which changed - while not everything - quite a lot. Everything back then was discrete… but now we could build with chips! LOL

It’s funny, I first learned that credentials/specifications/theory was all fine and dandy, but the real world always wins… as a relatively newly minted engineer, I bought into CD’s claims of “perfect sound forever” at the very beginning. After all… the specs! The theory! It was Perfect. Nyquist was God, etc…

Except, it sounded like ass. Life lesson learned. Experts aren’t always/always applicable.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #149,689 of 151,801
Many people around where I live do not have enough capacity in their rainwater system to last out a dry summer. Given we are far away from reticulated supply here, a large system is essential unless you want to top it off by tanking in water ($$s + chlorine). We have 2 x 5000 gallon main tanks, plus a 5000 gallon overflow system for the garden. It is all fed from a large roof area (385m2) so we get a lot of capture. As well, we can top off the garden tank from our own dam (... that water is only good for the garden!) but the main system can last us 8 months or more if needed. In 17 years, we've only dropped to 50% once.
Yeah, 20K tanks, 4200SF roof collection area, 2 people, half time (keeping Corpus house), literal xeriscape...I don't think we're going to have a problem with rain capture. But it's not for everyone.

For what it's worth, the local rain capture guys recommend 30K tanks if you have a family and a yard and the roof is smaller. Also of note: they learned from Australians and also use a lot of Australian gear.

Cost is a wash between rain capture and a 1K foot deep well on a difficult sloping site like ours. On a flat lot, rain capture will save 20-25% with a 30K tank.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #149,690 of 151,801
Yeah, 20K tanks, 4200SF roof collection area, 2 people, half time (keeping Corpus house), literal xeriscape...I don't think we're going to have a problem with rain capture. But it's not for everyone.

For what it's worth, the local rain capture guys recommend 30K tanks if you have a family and a yard and the roof is smaller. Also of note: they learned from Australians and also use a lot of Australian gear.

Cost is a wash between rain capture and a 1K foot deep well on a difficult sloping site like ours. On a flat lot, rain capture will save 20-25% with a 30K tank.
The bigger problem with wells (I’m kept up to date by my old neighborhoods email bulletin board) in the Hill country is that no matter how deep you go, the table is falling faster. Texas’ archaic groundwater rights law (basically anyone is entitled to draw an unlimited amount of water from a well on/under their private land) is creating huge problems; Cities that are rapidly growing, like greater San Marcos, New Braunfels, etc. (the corridor) are buying land up on the plateau and pumping water and piping it elsewhere. Several former neighbors with 800 foot wells ran dry in the last year. The draw from greater Austin is far exceeding the replenishment, but there’s no (current) legal ways of stopping/modifying it.

Hell, the amazing deep well/hole: Jacobs Well (Wimberley) sometimes stops now, it used to push epic amounts of water literally up so fast and at such high volumes that you could drop small stones and watch them NOT sink.

Had we stayed, rain system was going to be the route.

On edit: I forgot that many (most) of the wells in the Edwards aquifer have issues with Iron Sulfide; water literally stinks. We forced the folks renting us the house to install special filtration; they claimed they didn’t smell it (it was disgusting). Rain water has no such problems.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #149,691 of 151,801
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #149,693 of 151,801
>snip<

About 15 years ago I switched to Apple computers for my home system. Over time I had a moderate library of songs and CD's download to the computer. I'm very much attuned to alternate takes and versions of songs, performances, and like obscure rare versions. and had a lot of those stored on the computer.
One day Apple music upgraded. Either I fell for the "you should always upgrade your computer" myth, or maybe Apple decided to 'help' me and do it for me.
Apple music seemed operate as if there was one a single version of any song or CD with the same name. It deleted any "extras." Even CDs with the same title but by different artists and different songs.

Hmm. If I behave in fashion to ensure that when I die I will go to Hell, I can, um, "discuss" this with Steve Jobs.
Source of the problem: Apple music is run by geeks and techno-nerds, who go autistic when any input involving music, music appreciation, art etc. etc. comes their way.
It has been many years since I've had an Apple product (coincidentally right around 15 years), I really liked their hardware and the simplicity of their ecosystem, but I did not like being tied to iTunes to handle all of my media.

On the PC side, I recently built a new HTPC because I wanted something smaller and quieter (old one I built during the last crypto mining boom and had it setup where it could CPU and GPU mine and at least make some $$$ when it wasn't being used, so it had 7 fans in it to keep everything cool, which is a lot for only being 16 litres) The new one is only 4.5L and is 100% silent as it's a fanless design using the HD Plex H1.TODD case which looks quite similar to the front of my old Parasound JC-1 amps.

With how much this case cost, there could be a product opportunity for Schiit to make a fanless PC case using a Vidar/Aegir or Ragnarok 2 chassis to match the Schiit look, I'd love a PC case to match my Vidars.

1714393591253.png

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #149,694 of 151,801
That has little to do with what the gentleman mentioned, nor does 2 inch wire at 50k. Muting you now, bye.
.... adios adias 👋 .... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #149,695 of 151,801

This looks really interesting. Please share more details on the solar and construction methods as things progress and when your time allows.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #149,696 of 151,801
Wifey and I went there multiple times (Real Ale). Great place, product, and people. We miss how dog-friendly all the places in the Hill Country are as well. Blanco’s an easy peasy shot up 281 from Comfort/Boerne area (heck you could even take back roads - fun to drive - via Sisterdale… and tour Luckenback, which is just around the corner.
That's a memory from my visits there. Very pet friendly

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #149,697 of 151,801
Wasn’t trying to be, just seemed like you were questioning their efficacy based solely on guage and issues I know I didn’t/never had. My “credentials” as a EE are extremely and sorely out of date and rusty. Don’t even ask me to dig back into FFT’s and all the other crap I had to learn. I remember the concepts and bigger picture stuffs; anything else I’d literally have to almost re-learn at this point. Plus bring into computer software, I was more into the then very nascent digital logic and circuitry. TI had only just come out with their TTL series which changed - while not everything - quite a lot. Everything back then was discrete… but now we could build with chips! LOL

It’s funny, I first learned that credentials/specifications/theory was all fine and dandy, but the real world always wins… as a relatively newly minted engineer, I bought into CD’s claims of “perfect sound forever” at the very beginning. After all… the specs! The theory! It was Perfect. Nyquist was God, etc…

Except, it sounded like ass. Life lesson learned. Experts aren’t always/always applicable.
You certainly seem to have taken the time to put together a fine audio system. Getting free speaker cables never hurts as well.🤪
I gave away much of my excess cable so it could be put to use.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #149,698 of 151,801
...I decided industrial (literally) was fine....
I like how you said they're so flexible. Stiff wires make cable management such a chore.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #149,699 of 151,801
You big city guys have no idea what I have to put up with, I have to haul the water from a stream in wooden buckets. Filtered water? Every now and then I have to remove a frog or tadpole or small snake. Can that be considered filtering?😁
'n' don't ferget th' midnite barn raisins'! Takes ahlotta raisins to fill a barn, ya know...

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #149,700 of 151,801

Users who are viewing this thread

Back