Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 15, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #151,801 of 153,436
The Kraken -Syn is probably what I will try, but I have a question. I have 5 (really 8 total) cerwin vega (15 in woofers) in storage. Are these speakers too much for the center and surround channels? Guessing that I wouldn't need a sub .
Would you need a sub? Maybe. What's the bottom end on the CVs? A dedicated sub may go a lot lower, but depending on your use case, perhaps not a need.

May 15, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #151,804 of 153,436
For me, Syn is awesome. For background it replaced an XMC-1 (after it replaced a number of AVRs over the years).
I wanted a a few outcomes:
- Centered dialogue
- "Ambient" surround, bring the soundstage forward and past the seating position
- Subwoofer output
- significant size savings as trying to build a system that takes a LOT less space, and had the XMC-1 and Freya+ running the stereo side of things, cables, space etc

The ability to run Syn in "stereo + extra" for music is a bonus. And I usually have it it in full process mode, providing a center and ambience for even 2 channel.
The sub channel is well judged, and rolls off sharply. I can easily integrate by ear.
The width control is great to focus center for movies, and for headphones provides that "crossfeed" effect without it being a crossfeed. Depending the material it's also a great tweak.

AFAICT it's transparent.

Everything Jason said in the chapter holds true for me :relieved:

Chain for me is usually Node 2i > Bifrost 2 > Freya+ > Syn > Lokius > AMPS or Asgard 3
My Bluray/Apple TV feed audio into the Bluesound Optical inputs.
Very well said. 😁

May 15, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #151,805 of 153,436
May 15, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #151,806 of 153,436
May 15, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #151,807 of 153,436
I am assuming that it would probably need to dwarf his desk, Tom, and you'd have to ship it on a flatbed...

Bill's Tube Rack 02.png
Oh AI-rendered images. Weird! Made me think on this episode (and by extension, the Tyr)…

May 15, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #151,808 of 153,436
Welcome to Texas. Enjoy the, ah, "weather."

Edit: last night in Corpus it went from hot and muggy to cool and breezy and dry (Texas style dry, Corpus style breeze--think 20-30mph winds) to torrential horizontal rain for about 15 minutes, to an insane sunset and still kinda cool and dry to next day hot as balls...)
It is now May in Texas. To be crystal clear: it will be “hot as balls” (with brief stormy respite) until November 1st. Bank on it.

Oh unless you’re having an epic flood/thunderstorms mingled about randomly.

<grin>

Watch out for the fire ants and scorpions and coral snakes! :wink:

May 15, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #151,809 of 153,436
Tubes must be just like wine… they have good years and bad years, they improve with their age (at least it is perceived), and the price always goes up with age regardless of type 😄

Oh, and as soon you open the bottle, the value quickly declines 🤣
I even score tubes using a similar point system used on some wine,😁 I have mentioned before that studies have been done using the same wine in two bottles but a price tag is put on each. People tend to pick the higher priced bottle as better based on just the tag. If you know one tube sells for $1000 and another $100, expectation bias tends to kick in. Do a blind test and a $20 Foton might beat many a higher priced and more well known tube.

May 15, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #151,810 of 153,436
A few years back, I had the chance to buy 50,000 of these for about $10,000...should have done it. Argh.

Notes to past self:

1. Paint everything
2. Make all 6x9 products 1/2" larger on each side
3. Make all 16x8 products something like 14x9 (less important, but still, while you're at it...)
4. BUY ALL THE TOOBS. Well at least deals like the above.
The link I posted earlier to the iFI story on why the GE 5670W was interesting in that they found and bought out an entire wharehouse of these tubes for their
stuff.....

If only I had.....

:>)
Alex

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #151,812 of 153,436
The biggest user facing difference I’ve seen… well… felt… is the volume knob. The original Rag 2 volume knob was some sort of milled aluminum, but the new knob seems like it might be powder coated, feels like the Magni 3+ knob. My hand misses the old knob.
I have the latest Rag 2 so I suppose I’ll never know what I’m missing, but nice hefty knobs are a major reason why I buy the big Schiit! 🤓🤌

May 15, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #151,813 of 153,436
It is now May in Texas. To be crystal clear: it will be “hot as balls” (with brief stormy respite) until November 1st. Bank on it.

Oh unless you’re having an epic flood/thunderstorms mingled about randomly.

<grin>

Watch out for the fire ants and scorpions and coral snakes! :wink:
Texas is the only state I’ve ever been to where I’ve heard people say, “it’s too hot out to use the swimming pool.” 🤷🏻‍♂️😅

Still, sounds like what I’d call a “high quality problem” when you’re coming from New York in February!

May 15, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #151,814 of 153,436
For me, Syn is awesome. For background it replaced an XMC-1 (after it replaced a number of AVRs over the years).
I wanted a a few outcomes:
- Centered dialogue
- "Ambient" surround, bring the soundstage forward and past the seating position
- Subwoofer output
- significant size savings as trying to build a system that takes a LOT less space, and had the XMC-1 and Freya+ running the stereo side of things, cables, space etc

The ability to run Syn in "stereo + extra" for music is a bonus. And I usually have it it in full process mode, providing a center and ambience for even 2 channel.
The sub channel is well judged, and rolls off sharply. I can easily integrate by ear.
The width control is great to focus center for movies, and for headphones provides that "crossfeed" effect without it being a crossfeed. Depending the material it's also a great tweak.

AFAICT it's transparent.

Everything Jason said in the chapter holds true for me :relieved:

Chain for me is usually Node 2i > Bifrost 2 > Freya+ > Syn > Lokius > AMPS or Asgard 3
My Bluray/Apple TV feed audio into the Bluesound Optical inputs.
Do you run the Syn at full volume and use Freya+ for attenuation?

May 15, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #151,815 of 153,436
The link I posted earlier to the iFI story on why the GE 5670W was interesting in that they found and bought out an entire wharehouse of these tubes for their
stuff.....

If only I had.....

:>)
Alex
I listened to three different GE’s extensively and scored the five star just above the 5670W but it was so close I could honestly see nine other people giving the edge to the 5670W. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back