Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #14,417 of 151,794
                                              <snip>        big 'Murican iron.

Ha Ha. Almost Spit My coffee out.

My Experience Running My Bimby into ta Emotiva Amp with Built in Volume (Technically Integrated) Is when running it through the Valhalla 2 as a pre amp is The Volume Control on the EMotiva Integrated does not need to go as high When Just Using The Bimby Directly into it. I will Say I Prefer the sound of the Valhalla in Line as Bass Hits Harder, Highs sound better and of course a little more warmth. I don't think the first two is due so much to the "Tube Effect"  But the Elac UniFi speakers are not super efficient and are said to be power hungry, Most reviews said they need a good amount of power to sound their best. My Assumption is the Gain boost By having the Valhalla 2 In the Chain may be helping. I Suspected it was going to be Under powered After I bought the UniFI's

I Know Jason Is not a Fan of the announcing Gear Early However I Was very close to buying another amp and possibly pre amp.  I was looking at Parasound or Bigger Emotiva amp after I bought the Uni FI's Until this Whole Freya, Saga, Vidar talk was brought up.Now I Wait.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #14,418 of 151,794
  Yep: I just went and checked. Naim still uses DIN inputs and outputs rather than RCA, and the output voltage of their NAC 252 preamp is listed as 775 mV, or 0.775 V. No problem if you're staying within the Naim ecosystem, but an issue if you're trying to drive some big 'Murican iron.

This DIN thing seems to be  evidence of British Nationalism.  I have seen it frequently on Brit gear.  Occassionally inconvenient, but harmless in a market where adapters are readily available.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #14,419 of 151,794

This DIN thing seems to be  evidence of British Nationalism.  I have seen it frequently on Brit gear.  Occassionally inconvenient, but harmless in a market where adapters are readily available.

They claim DIN is better than RCA for this application. The only place I'm sure that it is better is that no-one makes stupid-expensive cables for DIN connectors.

Here's my collection: the black one in the back is the original Quad cable, complete with cheap white pot metal connectors. It finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago. The grey cable with the 1/8" jacks is what I had made up at a local hi-fi dealership back in the '80's when I used to use the Quad with a Trace Elliot bass preamp to power my bass stack when I was in a band. Finally, the blue (if you can tell) cable on the right is what some nice guy in the UK made up for me to replace the Quad original, using decent cable and good hardware, for a very good price.

I never had a Quad pre-amp, so I never had a DIN-to-DIN cable.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #14,420 of 151,794

I never had a Quad pre-amp, so I never had a DIN-to-DIN cable.

When I saw the announcement for the Saga, I thought how well it would mate with the Quad amps. The Quad with it's low input sensitivity, and the Saga with it's buffered output to help with the Quads' lowish input impedance. That could be a very nice pairing!

I let a clean 909 slip through my fingers last month. As others have said,with Vidar on the horizon, I will have to wait a bit now before making any amp decisions.

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #14,421 of 151,794
In other news, the Freya first articles are here, and they're looking good! That means we may be shipping as early as next week. We'll see....

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 2, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #14,425 of 151,794

Baldr said the Modi puts out 1.5 V. That would mean (continuing to oversimplify) you would run your volume control at 1/1:30 instead of noon.

More like 12:20p.m. instead of noon with a typical log pot.
wink.gif

"This DIN thing seems to be  evidence of British Nationalism"
DIN - Deutsches Institut für Normung

according to Wikipaedia 
smile.gif

Line levels and their approximate nominal voltage levels
Use​
Nominal level​
Nominal level, VRMS
Peak amplitude, VPK
Peak-to-peak amplitude, VPP
Professional audio+4 dBu1.2281.7363.472
Consumer audio−10 dBV0.3160.4470.894

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #14,429 of 151,794
In other news, the Freya first articles are here, and they're looking good! That means we may be shipping as early as next week. We'll see....

Next week?! Grr...dang it!?.....Fine!!

What about the t-shirts Man?

Baz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back