Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 3, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #14,452 of 151,922
For the record - another fine use for a Schiit Sys - as an adjustable volume attenuator Between a DAC and an amp with too much gain for your headphones.  In my current use, it allows a reasonable amount of volume travel on the amp.  Previously, I had 7 - 8:30 or so volume travel.  Insert Sys, set in the 12 to 1:30 range, and problem solved.  I can detect no sonic difference.  The Sys is just a cool and useful thing, and $49!

That is the reason I bought the Sys. There is too much gain on my Glenn OTL Darna. Might be replaced by Freya in future.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #14,453 of 151,922

In reply to USBlue's comment on my post.  Were you there at the RMAF Schiit room when the one Vidar overheated?  It displayed a flashing LED and that speaker went quiet.  I went out to the hallway to get Jason, and he came in, looked it over, and cycled power on it.  When he came out, he cheerfully said, "Well, we know the overheat protection logic works."

I suggested that a little elaboration on what the fault indicator was might be helpful -- something like a 7 segment display.  The pained look on Jason's face was priceless!

It will be very, very hard to get the production Vidars to do this--where the show design ran 93 degrees C, the new design runs at 52 degrees C. No kidding.

Good work @FrivolsListener, you pried another tidbit of info from Jason regarding the Vidar. And it's nice to hear how the newly designed heat sink array is working out.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #14,454 of 151,922

Good work @FrivolsListener, you pried another tidbit of info from Jason regarding the Vidar. And it's nice to hear how the newly designed heat sink array is working out.

Jason would have spilled that, eventually.  That kind of cooling problem is just too juicy to keep under your hat.

I hope at this point the wait on Vidar is down to board house and metal house returning prototypes to check out, then first articles.  That way the pipeline of projects can continue to move forward.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #14,455 of 151,922
Jason would have spilled that, eventually.  That kind of cooling problem is just too juicy to keep under your hat.

I hope at this point the wait on Vidar is down to board house and metal house returning prototypes to check out, then first articles.  That way the pipeline of projects can continue to move forward.

Yeah, you probably wouldn't bring an exposed 93°C product to market. 93°C exceeds the vicat softening point of many common plastics, and comes uncomfortably close to many others.

Flammability is not one of my areas of expertise, but at some point things get hit enough to become a hazard even in an office setting. There is some research regarding the flash points of dust on hot objects, 93°C isn't quite there but I would still be concerned.

There are probably standards regarding exposed hot surfaces, but this is not my expertise. I wonder if IEC 60601-1 3rd Ed. has any sections regarding heat.

Dec 4, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #14,456 of 151,922
Yeah, you probably wouldn't bring an exposed 93°C product to market. 93°C exceeds the vicat softening point of many common plastics, and comes uncomfortably close to many others.

Flammability is not one of my areas of expertise, but at some point things get hit enough to become a hazard even in an office setting. There is some research regarding the flash points of dust on hot objects, 93°C isn't quite there but I would still be concerned.

There are probably standards regarding exposed hot surfaces, but this is not my expertise. I wonder if IEC 60601-1 3rd Ed. has any sections regarding heat.

So, 60601-1 does set a limit of 41°C for any exposed part of a product not specifically intended to generate heat.

Keep in mind however, this is for medical products in which the risks and applications are very different so this would likely be overkill for an amp, unless you plan of sticking it inside your body :p

I'm not familiar with what - if any - the equivalents to 60601-1 are for consumer products. My suspicion is that there ha e to be some requirements to pass electrical safety testing, but what they are is a mystery to me.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #14,457 of 151,922

100°C is the boiling temperature of water at sea level. At an elevation of ~2,000 m (~6,700') water boils at 93°C. [Reference]. For comparison, Calgary, AB, is at ~1,000 m, Denver, CO, is at about ~1,600 m and Mexico City is at ~2,200 m.

You don't want anything in your home reaching that kind of temperature that is not designed for use in the kitchen or soldering. Lightbulbs are an exception: which is why they always need adequate ventilation. Well, except in your Easybake™ Oven, of course. 
smile.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #14,459 of 151,922
  100°C is the boiling temperature of water at sea level. At an elevation of ~2,000 m (~6,700') water boils at 93°C. [Reference]. For comparison, Calgary, AB, is at ~1,000 m, Denver, CO, is at about ~1,600 m and Mexico City is at ~2,200 m.

You don't want anything in your home reaching that kind of temperature that is not designed for use in the kitchen or soldering. Lightbulbs are an exception: which is why they always need adequate ventilation. Well, except in your Easybake™ Oven, of course. 
smile.gif

Strangely enough, I live at 6700' ASL.  So, I missed out on an easy way to boil water.  (You guys call yourself Steampunk, lemme show you some steam for your steampunk!
smile.gif
)

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #14,460 of 151,922

My initial reply was to @US Blues's comment about the donut shaped Vidar prototypes.  Presumably it was the tunnel (the donut hole) that got that hot, so it wouldn't entirely be exposed.

But yes, I was thinking along those lines, too.  All those components with a thermal upper range of 80 C just basking in the heat!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back