Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 27, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #13,666 of 152,754
  The Bel Canto C7R (class D) integrated I'm listening to is definitely not crap, but there's a reason a Hegel H360 (class AB with its own proprietary circuitry) is on its way to replace it. There may be many factors why I fell for the H360 when I auditioned it, but even its little brother the H160, which is just a bit more expensive than the C7R, is more convincing. The funny part is that what sent me looking to replace the C7R was listening to a lot of the same music on my mid-range Schiit headphone chain (Bimby>Jodie) and finding that the C7R's mid-to-upper frequencies feel overly smooth in comparison. There are complications in these comparisons, especially different DACs, and the C7R still sounds pretty good overall, but the reference that the mid-price Schiit headphone stack provide is pretty demanding. I need an integrated for my living room speaker system (long story), so I went with the Hegel, but I'll be complementing it with an Yggy just in case 
wink_face.gif

If you like the H360, don't audition the BIG brother, the H30. Just sayin' 
wink_face.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #13,669 of 152,754
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you can help me decide what AMP+DAC stack is best for me.
I'm getting into testing headphones with my channel and website. I get all kind of headphones so I want a good set that will be good for a long while and to enjoy a natural sound with headphones like HD600, DT880 etc.

These are what I'm considering:
Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber 
Or
Asgard 2 + Bifrost 

I read about them on the website and forum but still couldn't decide.
Can you help me decide please?

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #13,670 of 152,754
If you get all kinds of headphones and assuming you may get some with balanced cables it may be worth investing into either a modi multibit (or a regular Bifrost if you rather D/S) + a Jotunheim with no module (or phono if you care) - for testing purposes I feel the multibit technology would be worth your while and if you can afford a Jotunheim over a magni/asgard then I'd say that's definitely the better move also.

I'd say both the Modi MB and the Jotunheim are natural, they are characterless and will let the headphones you are testing shine through with their own sound signatures (for better or for worse).

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #13,671 of 152,754
If you get all kinds of headphones and assuming you may get some with balanced cables it may be worth investing into either a modi multibit (or a regular Bifrost if you rather D/S) + a Jotunheim with no module (or phono if you care) - for testing purposes I feel the multibit technology would be worth your while and if you can afford a Jotunheim over a magni/asgard then I'd say that's definitely the better move also.

I'd say both the Modi MB and the Jotunheim are natural, they are characterless and will let the headphones you are testing shine through with their own sound signatures (for better or for worse).

Sorry Im comfused, the Jotunheim is a amp+dac?

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #13,673 of 152,754
  These are what I'm considering:
Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber 
Or
Asgard 2 + Bifrost 

For the DAC I would suggest a "Multibit" version as a minimum, there is a significant detail and soundstage improvement! (Jotunheim has the older DAC only)

If you need upgradeability the Bifrost Multi would be a good end game DAC, otherwise the Modi Multi is so affordable it might be smarter to go Modi Multi and sell it when an upgrade is needed.

For the amp, the Vali 2 is a solid alternative to the Modi 2 Uber, it's very neutral for a tube amp and the ability to alter the signature by changing tubes could be useful with a wide array of headphones...

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #13,675 of 152,754
So is a Jotunheim better than magni modi stack?

The Jotunheim is a modular desktop device - it can be just an amp (cheaper), it can be an amp with a built-in balanced DAC unit (which is pretty good in and of itself) or it can be an amp with a built-in phono pre-amp if you have a turntable or plan to buy one in the near future, both at +$100.

My brother has a magni + modi in his office and I have a Jotunheim - if price and form factor are not a big deal then yes, sonically speaking both of us feel more than confident in saying the Jotunheim is superior even with the built in DAC.

So if you get a Modi multibit which I strongly advise you do and you don't want/need the built in balanced DAC for convenience (assuming you don't own a vinyl setup) you just get the Jotunheim with no module and then RCA it to the Modi MB.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #13,677 of 152,754
So is a Jotunheim better than magni modi stack?

Best would be to get a Modi Multibit and a Jotunheim, as either the MM stack or the combo Jot/DAC are compromises IMHO.

The MM stack is a bit weak on amp specs (comparatively) while the JOT's DAC is a little weak on DAC specs (comparatively).

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #13,678 of 152,754
Thanks so much for explaining!

I wonder if the Jotunheim and Modi Multibit isn't an overkill because I won't be testing a ridiculously expensive headphones. I recon the maximum will be a something like a HD700, HE-500 etc. Maybe a modi multibit + magni 2 uber is enough?

-Vigrith - I wont be using a vinyl records on this one, just a PC for now.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #13,679 of 152,754
  Thanks so much for explaining!
I wonder if the Jotunheim and Modi Multibit isn't an overkill because I won't be testing a ridiculously expensive headphones. I recon the maximum will be a something like a HD700, HE-500 etc. Maybe a modi multibit + magni 2 uber is enough?

It also looks nicer as a stack! This is a good review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/799731/review-schiit-modi-2-uber-magni-2-uber-and-vali-2

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #13,680 of 152,754
jangofett,

In my opinion Modi Multibit and Jotunheim would be a bit overkill. Don't get me wrong. If you have the cash to put in now, and you think you might be getting farther into the hobby later on with more headphones, then go for it. Those components are well worth the price. 

However, (and Jason has said something similar himself in this thread) it's my opinion that the most important component for the sound is the headphone. The HD 700 is one of the better models you mentioned I believe, and it can be found well below $450. I think using it with a $650 stack (Mimby + Joty) isn't going to give you the best bang for your buck. Swapping out the Mimby for a Bifrost multibit will make the discrepancy worse. And this is all even more true for the less expensive headphones you mentioned. If you do want to spend this much however, I still think Mimby + Joty is a better sounding (though less uniformly shaped) stack than the delta sigma Bifrost + Asgard 2. 

So there are a couple other options:

If you like the idea of something balanced, I'd go for the Jotunheim with the built in DAC option. At $500, it will be fully balanced (including the DAC), which is pretty awesome. And as per your previous question, yes, it will be noticably better than a Magni/Modi stack (in my opinion). I think the people in this thread sometimes underestimate the DAC card in the Joty, just because it's not multibit. This setup will only accept USB sources. I personally really like this option, especially taking into account how compact and nice the Joty is as a product. 

If you really want to try out Multibit, then I would suggest you get the Modi Multibit with either a Magni Uber or a Vali 2, depending on if you like tubes or solid state. The total of this stack is $400 - $420. More in line with the kinds of headphones you will be using. The upgrade to Asgard on the amp side is another option here, but not worth the price and size difference, in my opinion. This setup will accept toslink and coax as well as USB, if that's important to you. 

That all being said, I personally think you shouldn't underestimate how well a plain old Modi + Magni Uber/Vali 2 stack will work for you. Especially if this is your first investment into headphone electronics. Don't convince yourself that you have to spend a fortune to get good sound. A Magni Uber or Vali 2 with Modi (USB only, steel enclosure) will only set you back $250 - $270, and it might give you everything you're looking for. If you need more digital inputs other than USB, or it will bug you to have a steel enclosure on your DAC, get the Modi 2 Uber, bringing the total to $300 - $320. Still very reasonable in my opinion. 

Good luck on your journey!

As a side note to everyone else, writing this post has made me realize how many amazing options there are in the Schiit lineup. There are so many good combinations for so many different price ranges. Also, and I know this is probably impossible or stupid for some reason, but it would be amazing if there was a balanced multibit DAC with discrete outputs, but using the same chip and comboburrito filter as the Bifrost, priced between the Bimby and Gumby (maybe $900 - $1000??). This would pair nicely with Joty, and it would bring much of the benefits of the Gumby to those that simply don't need anything more than 16 bits (like me :). But maybe the cost would be to similar to Gumby to be worth it. I have no clue lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back