Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 26, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #13,636 of 151,562
There is quite a bit of research as well that shows that too many choices can paralyze the consumer and they end up not making a choice. Sometimes it's better to leave them wanting for more.

Even so, I will continue to campaign for a voltage switch on all your products that don't need a wall wart; mounted on the underside just like the gain switch for the Schiit Mani. For one it falls into the category of 'less customization' where everyone gets a switch instead of choosing 115V or 230V. Another reason is that it would simplify stocking by not carrying two different types of product.

And of course it would help people like me that take our gear with us to other countries 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #13,637 of 151,562
  There is quite a bit of research as well that shows that too many choices can paralyze the consumer and they end up not making a choice. Sometimes it's better to leave them wanting for more.

Even so, I will continue to campaign for a voltage switch on all your products that don't need a wall wart; mounted on the underside just like the gain switch for the Schiit Mani. For one it falls into the category of 'less customization' where everyone gets a switch instead of choosing 115V or 230V. Another reason is that it would simplify stocking by not carrying two different types of product.

And of course it would help people like me that take our gear with us to other countries 
bigsmile_face.gif

I hear you on this one. Jotunheim would have gotten this if I could have identified a switch that fit (the back panel is completely full, and the AC-rated switches are too tall to go under the board.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 26, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #13,638 of 151,562

bigsmile_face.gif

It Must be fun telling the TSA agent about your Schiit. I can Understand why you would take gear with you when traveling. I traveled for years but was/am a 2 channel Guy and never looked much into head gear, I wish I had though, it would have made those times away from home much more pleasant. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #13,641 of 151,562
But aren't they all switching supplies?  Jason has already expressed his feelings on these.  :)

No, step down transformers are available. The ones I have seen take 220 in and output 110. The AC frequency does not change, so 50Hz in means 50Hz out. This should not be an issue with any of Schiit's equipment.

Power outputs of these transformers can be limited, so choose carefully.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #13,643 of 151,562
Hey Jason. With Halloween getting closer and the decorations and Halloween taking shape at my workplace I wondered. Do you celebrate Halloween at the Schiit or Centric offices? Maybe put up some spooky decorations or wear any scary masks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #13,645 of 151,562
Jason,

I have an idea for the HT bypass feature that may or may not work, if you decided to implement such a thing in the future. I'll most likely be buying a Freya anyway, but here is my thoughts.

When the power is off the amp is in bypass. Several other models do this. There is no button or selection. No light saying it is in bypass. When it is powered off the HT Bypass circuit is in place.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #13,646 of 151,562
Jason,

I have an idea for the HT bypass feature that may or may not work, if you decided to implement such a thing in the future. I'll most likely be buying a Freya anyway, but here is my thoughts.

When the power is off the amp is in bypass. Several other models do this. There is no button or selection. No light saying it is in bypass. When it is powered off the HT Bypass circuit is in place.

That's a complete re-engineering of the product, and extremely unsafe. Right now, with no power, the preamps are set to no input, minimum volume, which is by far the safest way to do things. The relays have to be energized in order to allow any output. If turning off the power passed stuff through at full volume, I imagine we'd have a lot of unhappy customers with blown-up speakers on our hands. Sorry.

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #13,647 of 151,562
Forgot to mention that this would require adding an extra input for the only purpose of pass through.   Wasn't thinking all the inputs or a normal input.

Trust me, I am not thinking/insinuating that this is a change to be made before launch of these amazing looking pre-amps.  I was thinking maybe a gen 2 revision sort of thing, if it makes sense you you guys,  You know your business better than I do. 

I think that you have winners with what was shown at RMAF.  You'll sell many at the prices given and the products as is. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #13,649 of 151,562
In other news, we have the aluminum bottom chassis for Vidar*, so thermal testing can commence. I think we'll know what we need to know, thermal-wise, by the weekend. This means that we will be able to start placing production orders sooner than expected.

*This was ultra-fast turnaround of first articles from our metal guys, so I'm very, very happy about this. We're ahead of schedule.**

**Still won't ship in January, sorry.

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #13,650 of 151,562
  In other news, we have the aluminum bottom chassis for Vidar*, so thermal testing can commence. I think we'll know what we need to know, thermal-wise, by the weekend. This means that we will be able to start placing production orders sooner than expected.

*This was ultra-fast turnaround of first articles from our metal guys, so I'm very, very happy about this. We're ahead of schedule.**

**Still won't ship in January, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back