Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #13,681 of 152,752

In my opinion Modi Multibit and Jotunheim would be a bit overkill. ...

I guess it is a matter of opinion, I use my HD650 for nearly all my headphone listening at home and I don't think Jot + Bimby is overkill for me and those two Schiits together cost around four times what the HD650 cost. I like the HD650 and I like to feed it well.

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #13,682 of 152,752
  ...it would be amazing if there was a balanced multibit DAC with discrete outputs, but using the same chip and comboburrito filter as the Bifrost...

I was wondering what the minimum size of something like that would be, the DAC upgrade circuit boards probably give a good idea:

Bifrost 4490 circuit, single-ended with filter and discrete (standard card ~ 4" x 5")

Bifrost multibit circuit, single-ended with filter but not discrete (full-size card ~ 4" x 6")

Gungnir multibit circuit, balanced with discrete outputs (Big. ~ 7" x 7")

(I estimated the circuit sizes by comparing to the chassis size)

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #13,683 of 152,752
I guess it is a matter of opinion, I use my HD650 for nearly all my headphone listening at home and I don't think Jot + Bimby is overkill for me and those two Schiits together cost around four times what the HD650 cost. I like the HD650 and I like to feed it well.

Right now I'm listening to HD650 + Jot + Yggy. If that's "overkill" then give me more!

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #13,684 of 152,752
hello,

@Jason Stoddard, all i want is a machined groove on the side of the volume knob (if you look at it as a cylinder), matching the position of the machined dimple on the base (front) of the volume knob so it would easier to judge the knob's relative position without having to stare at it, i.e. by touch.

but then i have very old eyes.
triportsad.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #13,685 of 152,752
I certainly did not mean to cause a stir. I don't think that there is any combo that is "right" and what works for you works.

I just wanted to make the point that a Magni/Modi combo is quite good, and will carry even very good headphones quite a long way. However, even with the headphones mentioned I fully understand that a Joty would provide better performance and adding a Bimby better performance still. But each step will always bring diminishing returns. Moreover, it's easy to get a little carried away with deciding what is "best" by reading how awesome the higher end (aka more expensive) gear is on head-fi, but without having an idea of what the difference means in reality.

Lastly, it's simply been my experience that swapping headphones provides a more noticable difference in sound than swapping gear and using the same headphone. But seriously, I don't expect that to be everyone's experience. I'm just providing my two cents.

This is all to say, if I had the cash lying around I'd have a Yggy in every room (and one in my car). Alas, I don't.

Oh and I appreciate the board size analysis. I suppose that kind of kills my idea, since the whole point is to have something balanced to pair with Joty. But if its way bigger and twice the price anyways maybe you ought to just get a Gumby, or live with single ended. I suppose you can't always get what you want.

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #13,686 of 152,752
...I'm getting into testing headphones with my channel and website. I get all kind of headphones so I want a good set that will be good for a long while and to enjoy a natural sound with headphones like HD600, DT880 etc...

I will echo what others have said.  You can't go wrong with any Schiit combination: every piece is strong, musical, and a terrific bargain.  I have HD580s and they're a terrific bargain, but oddly (for this forum) I listen to speakers almost exclusively.  But I have a lot of experience with Schiit.  I did all the upgrades on the Bifrost through the Bimby, which I gave as a present to a musically fanatic relative.  The Bimby is an insanely great DAC!  I would have kept it but have a balanced system, so will try a Gumby or Yggy.  And I just got a Modi MB for a friend.  Having designed and built gear for a long time, and swimming in high-end sound for 30 years, I can say the accomplishments of Mike and Jason in building great, reliable gear with such low prices is without equal.

Given that you want to have an affordable but versatile reference system, you really ought to go with the best you can afford.  The Jotenheim/Mimby combo is $650.  And you'll have all the power you need for any headphone, which isn't quite the case with the Magni.  Well, the Magni 2 Uber is very powerful and will run anything, but the Joty will run any HP to its very limit.  And you'll have a *world-class* balanced preamp too.  But if you do go with the smaller separates, I urge you to get the most versatile of them, the Magni 2 Uber and the Mimby.  If you ever replace them, their versatility makes them *far* more valuable as a backup, second system, or for resale. 

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #13,687 of 152,752
I will echo what others have said.  You can't go wrong with any Schiit combination: every piece is strong, musical, and a terrific bargain.  I have HD580s and they're a terrific bargain, but oddly (for this forum) I listen to speakers almost exclusively.  But I have a lot of experience with Schiit.  I did all the upgrades on the Bifrost through the Bimby, which I gave as a present to a musically fanatic relative.  The Bimby is an insanely great DAC!  I would have kept it but have a balanced system, so will try a Gumby or Yggy.  And I just got a Modi MB for a friend.  Having designed and built gear for a long time, and swimming in high-end sound for 30 years, I can say the accomplishments of Mike and Jason in building great, reliable gear with such low prices is without equal.

Given that you want to have an affordable but versatile reference system, you really ought to go with the best you can afford.  The Jotenheim/Mimby combo is $650.  And you'll have all the power you need for any headphone, which isn't quite the case with the Magni.  Well, the Magni 2 Uber is very powerful and will run anything, but the Joty will run any HP to its very limit.  And you'll have a *world-class* balanced preamp too.  But if you do go with the smaller separates, I urge you to get the most versatile of them, the Magni 2 Uber and the Mimby.  If you ever replace them, their versatility makes them *far* more valuable as a backup, second system, or for resale. 

Thanks for the advice but I didnt see on their website a Bimby or Mimby

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #13,688 of 152,752
Oct 28, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #13,690 of 152,752
Where are you? 

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #13,692 of 152,752
There is a distributor in the UK but it doesn't seem like that would help too much.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #13,693 of 152,752
The UK distributor only delivers to the UK nowadays because there is another business that takes care of the remainder of Europe - their website is schiit-europe.com and I've purchased from them many times over the last year, they are very professional and helpful, orders get dispatched swiftly and shipping is timely.

Last item I bought from them was the Jotunheim and it took a little while to arrive because they were incredible hardpressed for stock but when I bought my Modi MB I did so on a Monday, Tuesday it shipped and I received it on that same Friday - super quick, all in all.

PS: Prices will still be higher than buying directly from Schiit's website in the US for obvious reasons, I paid €320 (~$350) for the Mimby for example but you don't have to worry about anything related to international shipping, taxes, customs fees, long wait times etc so it is definitely worth it. It is also cheaper than buying from the UK distributor even now that the Pound Sterling is so weak compared to the Euro and the US Dollar.

Edit: Oh, just realized @jangofett is in Israel, for some reason I just assumed we were talking about a country within the EU, my bad. Still, may be cheaper to buy from the dealership in the Netherlands instead of the US depending on how Israel handles taxes, I'm unfortunately not very knowledgeable there.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #13,694 of 152,752
Personally I think if you're trying to maximize your sound to budget ratio, the Mimby is a better deal than the Bimby, especially if you're only using headphones. If the DAC is also running to speakers then consider a Bimby, Gumby, or Yggy.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #13,695 of 152,752

IMO, the Magni2 Uber can drive almost any headphone perfectly fine except for a few fringe headphones like an HE-6 which few people own or will ever own. For those few people, they should be smart enough to get the right kit. Actually the non Uber Magni can probably drive most headphones without any issues. I might be inclined to spring for the extra 50 bucks to get the better finish and preamp outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back