Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #5,671 of 151,838
Why not talk about USB 3.1 and type C connectors, USB 3.0 is so 2008.  Don't see what this has to do with Schiit tho.

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #5,673 of 151,838
I expect some confusion over the naming of Gen 3 USB Schiit USB input design as opposed to the USB 3.0 standard?  Anyway could be something I am missing from all the way Down Under.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #5,675 of 151,838

Don't stop now -- just 52 more bad puns and you'll hit 5,000!  :) 

No Schiit 
tongue.gif
 Make that 51.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #5,677 of 151,838
It'll let you plug in the connector backwards in order to reverse the phase...
ph34r.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #5,680 of 151,838
  So guys, what will USB 3 or 3.1 do for audio that USB 2 doesn't already do?

It will satisfy that deep seeded desire for the lastest greatest thing, 3.1 > 3.0 > 2 so it must be better and buzz-word compliant! Short of that? Gives people something to complain about: Schitt not only puts their switches on the back, they *gasp* only use USB 2. (queue ominous music)(played through awesome sounding Schitt).

USB 3 is just faster. USB 3.1 has more features, can carry MUCH more power (as in you can charge a laptop via USB 3.1 TypeC connector). The cable has the same connector on both ends, the connector is also reversible (like the Lightning connector). And, much higher bandwidth, natch.

On advantage I see with the power capability. Jason could, in theory, power a Wyrd, Modi 2 Uber, Magni 2 Uber stack without a wall wart, with a single cable from a PC/Mac assuming the port supplied enough power. The power would probably be crap from a computer however, you could never trust that it would provide a clean enough and stable enough power source. But still, in theory it would be capable of this.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #5,681 of 151,838
On advantage I see with the power capability. Jason could, in theory, power a Wyrd, Modi 2 Uber, Magni 2 Uber stack without a wall wart, with a single cable from a PC/Mac assuming the port supplied enough power. The power would probably be crap from a computer however, you could never trust that it would provide a clean enough and stable enough power source. But still, in theory it would be capable of this.

That would defeat the purpose of the Wyrd LOL

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5,682 of 151,838

It will satisfy that deep seeded desire for the lastest greatest thing, 3.1 > 3.0 > 2 so it must be better and buzz-word compliant! Short of that? Gives people something to complain about: Schitt not only puts their switches on the back, they *gasp* only use USB 2. (queue ominous music)(played through awesome sounding Schitt).

USB 3 is just faster. USB 3.1 has more features, can carry MUCH more power (as in you can charge a laptop via USB 3.1 TypeC connector). The cable has the same connector on both ends, the connector is also reversible (like the Lightning connector). And, much higher bandwidth, natch.

I'd rather have a wallwart that outputs AC to an internal linear regulator than get power from a noisy USB port that most likely got its juice from a switching supply and then have to upvert it or whatever is needed. Also, nobody is going to charge their laptop from a Schiit DAC, nothing gained there. Maybe we should wait for USB 3.2, that will be as you said, the latest and greatest thing. At least my Bifrost will be upgradeable.
OK, so who's going to be the first to ask for USB ports next to the power switch on the front panel?

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #5,683 of 151,838
  I'd rather have a wallwart that outputs AC to an internal linear regulator than get power from a noisy USB port that most likely got its juice from a switching supply and then have to upvert it or whatever is needed. Also, nobody is going to charge their laptop from a Schiit DAC, nothing gained there. Maybe we should wait for USB 3.2, that will be as you said, the latest and greatest thing. At least my Bifrost will be upgradeable.
OK, so who's going to be the first to ask for USB ports next to the power switch on the front panel?

I've always considered my self an a** man, so everything on the rear is just fine with me.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back