Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 29, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #4,711 of 4,969
I never turn my BF 2/64 off.
Same. I took delivery of mine this past August 7, I turned it on and it has not been switched off since. I'll be remodeling my home office next summer, so it'll be switched off while it is moved then, but unless there is a power outage, it'll stay on.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #4,712 of 4,969
New (used) Bifrost 2/64 owner here. As soon as I got it, I connected it to my PC using USB connection and had it connected to my tube amp via RCA. The tube amp has Topping D10 in input 1 and the Bifrost 2/64 in input 2. After having things on for about 30 mins, I started listening A/B-ing the two inputs.

My initial impression is that I can't tell the difference between the two listening on HD800S. I was literally switching back and forth between the inputs using a switch and there's shockingly little to no difference. Perhaps the Bifrost is a bit smoother, like taking the edge off, than the D10, but the bass hits harder on the D10. Soundstage and the instrument separation is about the same. Maybe a tad bit wider on the Bifrost but that could be my brain making things up as I couldn't really quantify the difference.

Can anyone tell me what could be going on here? I just ordered an XLR switch so I can compare the XLR outputs between the Bifrost and my 15-years old PS Audio Digital Link III DAC.
As it uses a resistor ladder in the chips, it will be susceptible to heat, and need to warm up at least. It may even need a few days before the electronics stabilise. After that, try listening to a whole track with each DAC, preferably a good acoustic recording.
The 2/64 has lost the "warm" tuning of the old 2, so I've found it doesn't sound radically different to, say, the Topping D70 Pro Octo I have here, until you pay attention to how instruments are presented, or the soundstage appears. Granted, I have more expensive amplifiers and headphones to test this with.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #4,713 of 4,969
The only difference I could say for sure was that the sound on the Bifrost was definitely smoother so I can see myself getting less fatigued on long listening sessions.

What's interesting for me, though, is that we're talking about > $100 DAC vs. an $800 DAC. So, I was expecting more holographical imaging and wider soundstage as Bifrost is known for when compared against delta sigma DACs.

I'm going to be spending more time listening to the Bifrost only, and we'll see if my impression changes.
Are you listening to Bifrost 2/64 in NOS mode?

When I switch the Bifrost 2/64 to NOS mode, I hear the stage become wider and hear the clear placement of musical instruments on the stage, the sound becomes more spacious, as if there is a stage in front of you on which the musicians are playing.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #4,714 of 4,969
Are you listening to Bifrost 2/64 in NOS mode?
No. Though, I did play around with the NOS mode and it seems to make things a bit mellower. For now though, I have it running in the default mode.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #4,715 of 4,969
Looking to buy a black 2/64 if anyone is selling!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #4,716 of 4,969
I own the Geshelli JNOG2 SOCKETED with the AK4499 chip, and 2 Sparkos SS3602 on the XLR.
Has anyone here ever had one and compared it to Bifrost 2/64.
I'm considering buying the Bifrost but wanted to know the differences and see if I sell the JNOG2 and get the Bifrost 2/64

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #4,717 of 4,969
Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #4,719 of 4,969
Has anyone upgraded from the Modius to the Bifrost 2 and found it noticeably better and in any specific ways?
I have the BF2/64, upgraded from the BF2. I bought a Modius E to work in a mobile classroom sound system that had to be lighter and for which I wanted to use cheaper components because I couldn't always control security in other people's classrooms or in hotel conference rooms. So in direct comparisons between the BF2/64 and the Modius E, I'm sorry to say that I was quite disappointed in the Modius E. There was just MUCH more depth and sense of space with the BF2/64 than with the Modius E. This is the main thing. I don't think the Modius E is bad necessarily; it just doesn't match the BF2/64 at all. This was not subtle to my ears. It was really obvious. I considered showing the film "Barbie" (among many others) to some of my students. So I compared the two DACs directly. And in every instance, the BF2/64 always made you feel aware of the kind of space that the actors were talking in, while to me the Modius E sounded flat and one-dimensional. I'm not surprised, in a way, because the Modius E uses a Delta Sigma chip while the BF2/64 uses an entirely different set up with Texas Instrument chips in Schiit's own multibit arrangement. And their multibit DACs are known for that kind of space and depth or layering of the sound. The only other thing I'll say is that the overall tonality of the BF2/64 was simply more pleasant and engaging than the Modius E. It's true that once I get used to using the Modius E in a mobile classroom setup, it's quite OK. It does the job. But if I compare them directly, the BF2/64 is far superior. I'm thinking of switching to a Modi Multibit for my mobile classroom instead of the Modius E for this reason.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #4,720 of 4,969
Well, it depends on how you measure "performance". A DAC that sounded good 10-15 years ago should still sound good. If you go by SINAD at 1khz into a 300ohm load at 0dbfs, then the PS audio may or may not "measure" up.

The BF 2/64 when it gets warmed up should give you the multibit magic. The secret is Mike's megacomboburrito filter. That in itself should outclass the PS audio.

I see that you own a Chord Mojo 2 as well. Have you ever compared the Mojo 2 to the Bifrost 2/64 as a dedicated DAC feeding an external headphone amp? I'm sure the Bifrost 2/64 is a little better but I'm curious how close the Mojo 2 gets? The thing holding me back on the 2/64 are reports that it's noticeably brighter than the Bifrost 2 OG and loses the warmth to get more detail and speed.

Feb 12, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #4,721 of 4,969
I see that you own a Chord Mojo 2 as well. Have you ever compared the Mojo 2 to the Bifrost 2/64 as a dedicated DAC feeding an external headphone amp? I'm sure the Bifrost 2/64 is a little better but I'm curious how close the Mojo 2 gets? The thing holding me back on the 2/64 are reports that it's noticeably brighter than the Bifrost 2 OG and loses the warmth to get more detail and speed.

Yes. I have.

I'm not a fan of the BF2/64 unfortunately. I agree it is too bright for my tastes. I still have it and go back to it every once in a while to see if I like it yet. It does detail very well at the cost of some musicality. I liked the original BF tonality and warmth, but didn't like the lack of detail. The Yggy OG fixed all of this. But this is all system dependent. And, the differences are not huge, more like different flavors.

The Mojo2 is excellent, but different. It's resolution is excellent. It's not bright. Treble presence is strong, but not overwhelming. It's more on the neutral side. It's like turning down the contrast dial on a TV compared to the BF2/64. As a headphone DAC, the Mojo2 has an edge because you don't need an amp for many headphones.

As always YMMV

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #4,722 of 4,969
Anyone have experience with both the Bifrost 2/64 and the Sound Blaster AE-9? If yes, how do the two compare as DACs? I have an AE-9 so just wanted to get an idea of how the two compare sound wise.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #4,723 of 4,969
Got the 2/64 in today and it's incredible. Beautiful set up and it's perfect for me. Holographic, 3D staging that's detailed and incredible with bass. Smooth up top, and just a smidge of warmth which makes everything feel musical. Timbre is incredible as well.

I prefer this version over the original for sure. The thick warmth of the original puts it a bit out of my preference but the 64 is not lean or dry either
1000002818.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #4,724 of 4,969
I read through this thread a couple times and saw talks about burn in which I always thought was interesting. I've seen comments on YouTube mention the same thing. The first song I listened to on the 2/64 was Eugene Ruffolo's Same Kind Words. There is a harp or something in the background and I noticed how it was now clearly behind me in listening. I just revisited that song and I swear the stage has deepened because that harp sounds much farther out.

Though that could just have to do with the fact that I just switched from Deezer to Qobuz. I initially auditioned all the different streaming platforms two years ago when I was getting into the hobby and while Quobuz sounded better it didn't have tons of stuff I liked. This time around my entire Deezer playlist is available aside from one or two rarely listened to albums. The increase in sound quality is noticeable to say the least and Deezer subscription has been promptly cancelled

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #4,725 of 4,969
Got the 2/64 in today and it's incredible. Beautiful set up and it's perfect for me. Holographic, 3D staging that's detailed and incredible with bass. Smooth up top, and just a smidge of warmth which makes everything feel musical. Timbre is incredible as well.

I prefer this version over the original for sure. The thick warmth of the original puts it a bit out of my preference but the 64 is not lean or dry either
1000002818.jpg
...this photo is a good presentation for the set of these two units. like it. I'm a fan of the BF2/64. gave the Lyr+ a close look, ultimate took the MJ3, but Lyr still on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back