SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
May 13, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #241 of 1,093
i just got my clip+ 2day i put rockbox on it the ammount of options it has is mind boggling
i was wonder what the difference between playback shuffle and the replay shuffle is
and how can i put this player on hold?

and is there any point of using replay gain if i don't use the EQ?

May 13, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #242 of 1,093
I get the noise the first few seconds after changing tracks, I think its due to flash data being cached to RAM (as some icon keeps flashing during that time) but agreed, never noticed that in the OF. Does not really bother me, either.

May 13, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #243 of 1,093
The new Bootloader has fixed the problems I have been getting with my clip+ not switching on at times
smile.gif
 However, I have downloaded the latest Rockbox build and I am getting the low volume problem. I have tried adjusting the volumes setting in the sound settings but the volume seems to be a bit lower than on the Original Sansa firmware
confused.gif
frown.gif
 Also on this recent build, the battery seems to drain alot faster than on the Original Firmware.

Art

May 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #244 of 1,093
Not as loud, lower battery runtimes, noises between the songs? Looks like there's still some homeworks to be done.

May 13, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #245 of 1,093
I don't know the difference between all the versions but I've on r25958 and have had no problems so far with the exception of not knowing how to turn the radio off outside of turning the player off but that's something I haven't figured out in any of my rockboxed players. Battery is longer than expected so that's nice. No idea what the OF would have gotten me in battery life however since I never used it except for like 2 minutes when I bought it from another head-fier to make sure everything works fine.

May 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #246 of 1,093

Quote:
and is there any point of using replay gain if i don't use the EQ?

Yes. EQ and replay gain are two totally different things. Replay gain tries to keep the tracks at the same volume. Hasn't worked quite that well for me so far, but it helps some. It's really convenient when shuffling. Also, you have to use a program (I use Media Monkey) to add replay gain information to the tags of the songs. Without that added information, it won't work.

Quote:
Not as loud, lower battery runtimes, noises between the songs? Looks like there's still some homeworks to be done.

Yeah, but it's come a long way fairly quickly. Did this port even exist three months ago? It's open source, so if you want to help code it, go right ahead...

May 14, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #248 of 1,093

Quote:
Can anyone share their Equalizer settings with me please?

btw i love the rock box :)

Equalizer settings will depend on the headphones used with the clip. As every headphone/earphone is different, each one would benefit from a unique setting. And that is excluding the fact that our ears are different as well, and exert a unique internal equalization, which means that two people using the same earphone may have similar EQ settings, but they would still be different. And THAT is largely ignoring the fact that we all have our own unique personal sound preferences, so two people using the same earphone may very well have vastly different EQ settings.

Sadly, the EQ is something you have to play around with on your own for a bit to get it to work. My only advice is that oftentimes it is better to reduce frequencies rather than boost them. So for example, to increase bass, instead of boosting the low end you will usually get a better result if you lower mids and treble.

Play around, practice, read a couple of online guides, and you'll get the hang of it - slowly.
wink.gif

May 14, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #249 of 1,093
Only if you have enough time and effort to EQ. I don't so don't plan on EQing my clip+ although I've pretty much settled on 2 phones for them with one of them not caring for sound as much. For some strange reason I like my e-Q7 on these than my CK10. Also strangely enough I'm able to charge them on my plug adapter thing where I have a plug into the wall and connect it to a usb cable to the clip+. I haven't been able to charge the fuze or my e260 doing the same thing so kinda nice the clip+ is able to do that since it saves a usb port and my netbook doesn't have many to begin with.

May 14, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #250 of 1,093
Getting the EQ to improve upon some of your phones' deficiencies isn't particularly time consuming - not if you're willing to settle for a modest improvement. Now, doing the best job possible is a labor intensive procedure. But if you're willing to settle for that modest gain, then a minute or two of playing around is usually enough. You can boost the low end for that rumble, attenuate the highs a touch to reduce harshness, bring the mids forward a bit if you like vocals, and so on. There is also a simple EQ if you don't even want to bother with the frequency settings.

May 14, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #251 of 1,093
I do not own a Clip. However I do own it`s "black sheep" sibling, the View. On that and my other DAP:s, I use EQ and it never distorts. After I have ripped a CD with EAC and then converted to mp3 files with CDex, I use the software mp3 gain to analyze the volume (album analysis) and then lowers it (album gain) to around 90-91 db. Never had any clipping after I started doing that. I prefer to create playlists, but if I choose to shuffle it would not be such a big problem volume wise since all the songs are around the same volume. Sure it takes time, but it works and it does not degrade the quality of the mp3 files. (Others might however say that I degrade the quality when I use the custom EQ of my DAP, but to each his own).

May 14, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #252 of 1,093
Quote:
No clue but I think it did get rid of that Pitch Bug that Sansa so far refuses to fix.

I have a Clip v2 with a version (not the latest) of Rockbox on it. When booted in Rockbox, it has the pitch bug, i.e., it plays about a fifth of a semitone flat. But when I boot it with the newest version of the Sansa firmware, 2.01.35, which came out in March, the pitch bug is gone - it plays in tune. So Sansa did finally fix that.

Anyone know if the newest versions of Rockbox still play flat? I'd love to move to Rockbox, but don't like the out-of-tuneness. It makes it to where I can't play along with it on an in-tune guitar.

May 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #255 of 1,093

Quote:
thank you

i will try my best with this

btw, i have a soundmagic pl-50 amped to a fiio5 with a clipv2 rockboxd

Ditch the E5. The rockbox equalizer offers better bass, both in terms of quantity and quality. The pl50 don't really need amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back