SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Mar 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 1,093
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that the Clip+ has been Rockboxed it would be great to hear your opinion on this great little DAP.

I would also be interested on hearing opinions about having the Clip+ rockboxed. I waiting for my Clip+ as it's in the mail.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 1,093
My main question is - why use Rockbox for a player that already plays FLAC and outputs high quality sound?

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 1,093
Well the only reasons I can think of are the crappy sansa UI, EQ settings and gapless playback.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 1,093
I need some help. I followed the installation instructions on Rockbox's website, but I keep getting a "loading firmware" "file not found" error. Any ideas on how to fix this? It seems to work fine with the OF still.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 1,093
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some help. I followed the installation instructions on Rockbox's website, but I keep getting a "loading firmware" "file not found" error. Any ideas on how to fix this? It seems to work fine with the OF still.

if it (the install) was anything like my fuze get the firmware from sansa for the clip+, rockbox uses it, just point the installer to where you've downloaded the firmware or unpacked it....just make sure you've got the right version/model etc.

oooops ignore the above.... i guess as of this date you have to compile it, might be better to wait for the installer. then it's real simple.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 1,093
I downloaded the clppa.bin file that's the Clip+ firmware 1.02.09, downloaded the bootloader from Rockbox's site (bootloader-clipplus.sansa), patched it with mkamsboot, named that file patched.bin, copied it to the Clip+'s root folder for internal memory, renamed it clppa.bin, and copied the .rockbox folder to the root. It looks like it may be added to rbutil in the next release, whenever that'll be.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 1,093
Hmm, can anyone confirm how stable rockbox is on the clip V2? Seems there's been progress from the last time I checked.

Now that 32GB microSD cards are out, it might be time to pick up a clip+ for an awesome, lightweight OTG player. I still love my Clip V2, but 8GB just isn't enough.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 1,093
So far functionality is good. The button navigation can be a bit odd, some buttons have functions swapped depending on the menu you're in, but for general file browsing the keys work as expected. Rockbox however is unable to save settings to NAND or SD card for the Clips and Fuze, but they're working on that. To load files, you need to boot into the original firmware and then plug in the USB cable. I'll update this post when I find more stuff.

- Rockbox's generic default theme (ie no theme) (not the one that a fresh Rockbox install usually starts with) looks the best to me. If you want to use the default generic theme by default (since you can't save settings) then remove the files in the WPS folder (and maybe the theme folder too)
- When selecting files you get a playlist error (-12776), I don't know what this is, but the file plays fine
- Encountered a glitch where a file won't play (hiss and then you get kicked to the main menu), selecting the file again works
- Some songs are off pitched, but that supposedly is a design problem with the Sansas
- Unifont (the font for displaying unicode text like Japanese) is HUMONGOUS!
- Periodic buzzing/interference can be heard from somewhere when listening to quiet songs (using generic Sansa earphones); not isolated to blue ring/LCD being on
- If the disk is being read, the menu can react quite randomly (skipping to previous menus)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back