SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
May 9, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #211 of 1,093
Mine has been running for 18h straight (connected to a BlackBerry mini USB charger :wink: after I set the boost_cpu thing. Definitely stable this way, definitely not stable without it (that's R25894)

As for the DFKT theme, that looked screwed up on my Clip+ on some versions but now it seems fixed. How much juice does that signal analyzer soak up, though?

May 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #212 of 1,093
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I may look around and see what the best price for a clip+ is. If it is similar to the fuze in SQ (which some say it sounds identical) then I'll be happy and would be an improvement over my E260 which hisses too much and isn't that great for sound.

May 10, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #213 of 1,093
Sweeeeeet. I just got RockBox working weee!

Basically followed the manual (make sure to use the original firmware that's supported by the loader thing, IIRC 1.02.09, don't use the newest firmware or it won't work), and this page has the daily firmware updates: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=sansaclipplus

Currently running build R25894 with the CPU Boost 1 setting. So far so good :)

Oh yeah, if you're new to this, it's helpful to set it to MSC mode in the options. Then to load music, turn off the Clip+ and hold left while you turn it on to load the regular firmware to put music on. MSC mode again.

Also, I got scared after doing the process because I thought it was bricked. Turns out it just takes a long to boot up or something the first time. I dunno, I just kept hitting power on and finally it worked. Is there some trick to get Rockbox powered on quickly?

May 10, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #215 of 1,093
i just noticed an update today has disabled the adjustable cpu frequency. this means the cpu runs at full speed all the time and it should be a lot more stable plus you don't have to remember to go into the debug menu to set it yourself. this applies to clip v2/fuze v2 users also.

May 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #216 of 1,093

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what kind of battery life do you guys get? I haven't tested it myself yet, but looking at the battery voltage/life test somebody posted on rockbox.org it seems to be about 10 hours. I use Crossfeed and EQ'ing though so mine may be a bit less.

I get about 15 on mine.

May 10, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #217 of 1,093

Quote:
Also, I got scared after doing the process because I thought it was bricked. Turns out it just takes a long to boot up or something the first time. I dunno, I just kept hitting power on and finally it worked. Is there some trick to get Rockbox powered on quickly?

Yours may have been frozen. It happens occasionally where the screen won't display anything. I find I can usually force a hard reset by holding power for about 10 seconds. After that things are okay.

May 10, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #218 of 1,093
I may be able to get a clip+ soon as I might have gotten a good deal on one. My battery life on my fuze sucks so hopefully the clip+ runs better and I'll have to give rockbox a try when I get it of course since all the sansa players I have used have horrible navigation on their UI.

May 10, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #219 of 1,093
^The clip has, in my opinion, a very intuitive UI. Also, the hardware end is better as well, normal clicking is much better than the fuze wheel at any rate. Unfortunately, the clip battery life is worse than that of the fuze.

May 10, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #220 of 1,093
The fuze I have has a pretty crappy battery so really only lasts around 10ish hours. I blame the refurbished but don't really care. There are times when I forget to charge it so the second day of not charging it dies so a backup player that is better than my crappy e260 is a welcomed change. If i get anywhere near 15 hours I'll be pretty happy. I do like the fuze wheel actually and no real complaints about the build of the fuze.

If the clip+ is anything like the clip with UI then it's very confusing to navigate until you get used to it. Either way I'll find out tomorrow.

May 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #221 of 1,093

Quote:
The fuze I have has a pretty crappy battery so really only lasts around 10ish hours. I blame the refurbished but don't really care. There are times when I forget to charge it so the second day of not charging it dies so a backup player that is better than my crappy e260 is a welcomed change. If i get anywhere near 15 hours I'll be pretty happy. I do like the fuze wheel actually and no real complaints about the build of the fuze.

If the clip+ is anything like the clip with UI then it's very confusing to navigate until you get used to it. Either way I'll find out tomorrow.

The rockbox UI is no nonsense at least. A few oddities (always use home or back to come out of a settings screen, unless you're adjusting the EQ, then use the power button?) but no surprises at any rate.

The sansa UI takes some getting used to.

May 11, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #222 of 1,093
Maybe it's being used to sansa for so long, but precisely those inconsistencies make rockbox harder to me?

May 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #223 of 1,093
It took some time to figure out how to rockbox this but I think all works now. I'll probably try it out tomorrow when I go running with this. It's definitely a lot smaller than my fuze and should work better for that purpose.

edit: I remember having this issue a while ago with the font when I used my e260 and downloaded it somewhere but don;t have it anymore. Does anyone know where to find a smaller unifont than the 16 they provide?

edit #2: How accurate is the rockbox battery indicator? It's telling me 18 hours at max battery.

May 11, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #224 of 1,093

Quote:
It took some time to figure out how to rockbox this but I think all works now. I'll probably try it out tomorrow when I go running with this. It's definitely a lot smaller than my fuze and should work better for that purpose.

edit: I remember having this issue a while ago with the font when I used my e260 and downloaded it somewhere but don;t have it anymore. Does anyone know where to find a smaller unifont than the 16 they provide?

edit #2: How accurate is the rockbox battery indicator? It's telling me 18 hours at max battery.

I don't find the battery indicator to be very accurate on my D2, although it did perform better on my Fuze and e250.

May 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #225 of 1,093
Does anybody find that the stereo width parameter has no discernible effect on the clip+? I can't hear any difference through any of my 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back