SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Jan 23, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #856 of 1,093
I just got my Sansa Clip+ yesterday and used it today!!

I'm a newb to the forums but love my music. As soon as it arrived I put Rockbox on it, easy process. 

I have come from using my iPhone so this is a bit scary for me. 

At first it sounded a bit neutral but I discovered the multitude of sound settings and added a bit more DB :p now im blown away!! 

The thing that I need help in though, coming from an Apple user is adding music to this is either way to simple or frustratingly confusing.

When I plug this into my Macbook and open the folder I see:

##Music#
##port#
Audible
Audiobooks
Music
Playlists
Podcasts
Record
Along with other random files

Do I need all these folders and files what if its empty? as I added my music via drag and drop. I have the music under albums in there own folders. So I copy and paste the folders into ##Music# and the albums are there. 

But it does not organize anything like artists, albums, song. Literally is like a USB stick. 

Is this how it is? or do I manually have to do it. 

You see with the Apple iPhone player it just sorted it all out for me when accessing the player... 

im freaking out here!! :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #857 of 1,093
Edit - just realised under "database" its all organized under Artist, Album, Genre etc!!

yaay. Ok so my music is in ##MUSIC#/Music

Screen_Shot_2014_01_23_at_6_47_00_pm.png

Does that mean I can delete> Audible, Audiobooks, MUSIC, Playlists, Podcasts, Record etc and just have ##MUSIC#

Hope this makes sense

Also

What is the best Music Manager for this Rockbox and Sansa Clip setup???

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #858 of 1,093
I tend to delete the useless folders (really useless be sure they are empty!!) usually record podcast audible and the#folders as on the long run they're of no use for me. and my sansas kept working ok under rockbox.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #859 of 1,093
  I tend to delete the useless folders (really useless be sure they are empty!!) usually record podcast audible and the#folders as on the long run they're of no use for me. and my sansas kept working ok under rockbox.

Yup I deleted everything have just got *folder* Music now :)

I have been playing around with the sound settings. Put the bass up to 9DB and treble to 7DB

But im not happy with the sound, im after more of a balanced sound, clean, crisp with a kick of well rounded bass... sorry im a noob so cant describe it. 

Im using the JVC HA-S400's

When I work out I use Koss Porta Pro's and the settings actually sound great. 

Any guidance on settings for what I want to achieve???

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #860 of 1,093

Yup I deleted everything have just got *folder* Music now :)

I have been playing around with the sound settings. Put the bass up to 9DB and treble to 7DB

But im not happy with the sound, im after more of a balanced sound, clean, crisp with a kick of well rounded bass... sorry im a noob so cant describe it. 

Im using the JVC HA-S400's

When I work out I use Koss Porta Pro's and the settings actually sound great. 

Any guidance on settings for what I want to achieve???

Ignore the bass and treble settings and learn to use the parametric 10 band equalizer. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #863 of 1,093
Yes - themes are what decided what information is available on the now playing screen. I prefer the dfkt_minimum_clip theme: 

I like it because it shows the type of file/vbr/cbr/ kbps. Length of song. How far you are into the song, how much time is remaining, and has a super awesome VU meter which is excellent for tuning your EQ. You can adjust the VU meter scale from linear to log in the Settings Menu under Display. 

If you want this theme or similar themes look in the themes part of the rockbox installer. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #864 of 1,093
I bought one of these in the Thanksgiving sale and haven't had time to use it.

I've tried to rockbox it. How can I tell if I've succeeded? Thanks much for any help.

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #865 of 1,093
  I bought one of these in the Thanksgiving sale and haven't had time to use it.

I've tried to rockbox it. How can I tell if I've succeeded? Thanks much for any help.

Did you succeed to rockbox it or not,that's easy...when you start up the clip+ wacth the welecome screen and you will see "RockBox" if you succeeded and "Sansa" if not. :))

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #866 of 1,093
Did you succeed to rockbox it or not,that's easy...when you start up the clip+ wacth the welecome screen and you will see "RockBox" if you succeeded and "Sansa" if not. :))

Thanks. At least I know I failed. :xf_eek: I'll ask for help on the intro page when I've tried everything I can think of.

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #868 of 1,093
Just a heads up make sure your paths match eg. If the clip is in D:/ make sure the rockbox loader is set for D:/ it was something I overlooked when I did it the first couple of times

Edit: Once I found the .bin file and set it to the same drive, it worked. Thanks! Now, to figure out the rest . . .

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #869 of 1,093
sandman didn't do you a favor, now you will complain about the limited settings (volume and EQ mostly) of every single dap you will try for the rest of your life. ^_^
welcome to the club.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #870 of 1,093
One thing I often notice is I occasionally do liveSound/PA Systems for my school and such and they often contract out other tech people to do video or something. They all always come in with the super fancy DAPs that are marketed towards "live sound" that have all these fancy buttons, big display, AA battery's ect. Then I have to plug them in via XLR and navigate the hellish software to play some track they want... Only then to relaize that these things are hundreds of dollars and have virtually the same output capabilities of the $30 sansa.

I digress - its just fun watching these guys spend 20 minutes figuring out to play a track and plug it in ect... meanwhile I have my tiny little sansa plugged in and ready to go in 10 seconds. Oh and my Sansa has 4x the storage... Gosh. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back