SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Oct 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #481 of 1,093
My brother bought a fake 32gb microSD card from China for like $20 including postage. The strange thing is no matter what we format it with it still shows 32gb (and not 2gb like I expected). 
So it might not be too good to be true
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #483 of 1,093

Quote:
My brother bought a fake 32gb microSD card from China for like $20 including postage. The strange thing is no matter what we format it with it still shows 32gb (and not 2gb like I expected). 
wink.gif

might I ask where you purchased this?

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #484 of 1,093

Quote:
wink.gif

It might show 32gb but you may not be able to fill it up with 32gb of data. You should load up a bunch of songs and try to play the songs from it to see if it is really 32gb.

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #485 of 1,093
Quote:
wink.gif

After you fill up say 512mb, or 1gb (or whatever depending on what the fake actually is), it'll stop working

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #486 of 1,093

Quote:
wink.gif

Oooohh! 

You should try putting 32gb worth of files, just to check its really 32gb. And if it's legit, tell us where you go it so we can buy it too 
devil_face.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #487 of 1,093
having trouble rockboxing my clip +, autodetect wont work , every time i press auto detect for some reason windows wont respond. what a nightmare.could someone PM me on how to install this properly. So far everything i have read is outdated. thanks  oh btw i'm not a computer genius so i do need some help. thanks in advance.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #488 of 1,093

Quote:
having trouble rockboxing my clip +, autodetect wont work , every time i press auto detect for some reason windows wont respond. what a nightmare.could someone PM me on how to install this properly. So far everything i have read is outdated. thanks  oh btw i'm not a computer genius so i do need some help. thanks in advance.

Instead of autodetect, you can manually select it.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #489 of 1,093

Quote:

you probably need to put your clip+ in MSC mode instead of MTP mode. this is so the clip+ shows up as an external drive on the computer and not a media device.

do this by going into Settings --> System Settings --> USB Mode --> and select MSC

Then using the rockbox autoinstaller, select your clip+ as the drive it now shows up as. for example, mine shows up as (M:) but yours is probably different. Check under "My Computer"

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #490 of 1,093
Quote:
After you fill up say 512mb, or 1gb (or whatever depending on what the fake actually is), it'll stop working

I filled it with 8gb of music and it worked. But the seller is no longer listed on eBay and I can't find anything remotely close to the price.
I'd personally never buy a fake card, but I was surprised when my brothers one actually worked. I don't bet on it lasting very long but I was still surprised.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #491 of 1,093

Quote:
I filled it with 8gb of music and it worked. But the seller is no longer listed on eBay and I can't find anything remotely close to the price.
I'd personally never buy a fake card, but I was surprised when my brothers one actually worked. I don't bet on it lasting very long but I was still surprised.

the proof of the pudding is in the reading, not the writing. the problems with fake flash arrive when you try to use the data that is allegedly on it.

it's a 32gb card, no? 

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #492 of 1,093

Well i did what you said, i downloaded the firmware from sansa, i still keep getting an error about firmware version unknown. So i tried all 3, 01.02.09 ...01.02.13.....and 01.02.15  it keeps popping up error. The thing is , i think i need to convert the firmware file from zip to bin but dont know how to do that. i dunno.
Quote:
you probably need to put your clip+ in MSC mode instead of MTP mode. this is so the clip+ shows up as an external drive on the computer and not a media device.

do this by going into Settings --> System Settings --> USB Mode --> and select MSC

Then using the rockbox autoinstaller, select your clip+ as the drive it now shows up as. for example, mine shows up as (M:) but yours is probably different. Check under "My Computer"

Nov 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #493 of 1,093
@Guidostrunk I had the same problem. What you need is to unzip the file.  You can get a free (well, evaluation period) copy of WinZip here. If you're on a Mac, the software is Stuffit. Once you've done that, it goes like a dream.

And now I'm a believer. The sound is amazing.

Nov 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #495 of 1,093
Quote:
the proof of the pudding is in the reading, not the writing. the problems with fake flash arrive when you try to use the data that is allegedly on it.
it's a 32gb card, no? 

When I said it worked I mean it worked in my Clip+... and yes I know why fake cards are as much as they are - hence I wouldn't buy one.
But this one I have sitting here is actually working, who knows for how long though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back