SAmsung galaxy note 2
Jan 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #227 of 471
Redpill makes my Samsung a bit slower. Less responsive, not fluently reacting anymore. It's still ok for my demands.
The Sound got kinda smoother and more revealing(detail level raises). There is an option to turn down the amplification level which will reduce the hiss with sensitive IEM's(shame I already sold my CK100Pro).
Of course u will need to turn it up again using your fullsize can. Overall I am quite happy with the audio improvements at cost of less fluent UI.

I installed the ACID Engine as well. Didn't see any improvements, maybe a bit more bass detail but that just might be placebo.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #229 of 471
I tried flashing Redpill onto my Note 2 by Sprint and it froze the phone upon bootup.  I had to reflash from a previous backup to unbrick the phone.  It seems that this is a Sprint-related issue.

Has anyone successfully flashed Redpill onto their Note 2 by SPRINT phone?

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #230 of 471
Don’t know if anyone cares but I added and unofficial voodoo sound driver for to all the Note 2 variants.. Well for AOSP such as CM.. For the record this is not the official release but it works well from what I have tested so far.. oh and it works with the official voodoo sound app on the market. Here is the commit for anyone interested. https://github.com/kejar31/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412/commit/c8a0b1b541b2ed5d19c4a7ee867f74a3e77208d8

here is a screenshot from a tweet I posted :) http://twitter.com/kejar31/status/296326196248055808/photo/1

Dont think CM will pick it up but I will def be able to add it to Liquid and I can talk to my friends at AOKP who would also prob merge it as well

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #231 of 471
Quote:
Don’t know if anyone cares but I added proper voodoo sound support to all the Note 2 variants.. Well for AOSP such as CM.. Here is the commit for anyone interested. https://github.com/kejar31/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412/commit/c8a0b1b541b2ed5d19c4a7ee867f74a3e77208d8

here is a screenshot from a tweet I posted :) http://twitter.com/kejar31/status/296326196248055808/photo/1

Dont think CM will pick it up but I will def be able to add it to Liquid and I can talk to my friends at AOKP who would also prob merge it as well

I wasn't aware that Supercurio had released Voodoo Sound for the Note 2?

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #232 of 471
He doesn’t really need to release it himself most of the work done to get other devices with the Wolfson DAC were done by other devs that wanted it implemented into their own kernels. So they ported his work, which since its kernel work, is all open source under the GPL. The voodoo software its self is not really part of the kernel nor does it require any certification or anything, it simply checks to see if the voodoo driver is loaded and if it is it will work.

This port was originally one by gokhanmoral for the i9300 (international SGS3) siyahkernel kernel.. He ended up taking a slightly different rout though and implemented it with his stweaks application. Regardless the Glitch Team picked up where he left off and made it into a fully working i9300 port.. With the i9300 and Note 2 (all variants) sharing the same SOC (4412) and really even the same AOSP kernel source. I simply picked up the work done by the Glitch team and implemented that into the CM kernel for the 4412 SOC.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #233 of 471
Quote:
He doesn’t really need to release it himself most of the work done to get other devices with the Wolfson DAC were done by other devs that wanted it implemented into their own kernels. So they ported his work, which since its kernel work, is all open source under the GPL. The voodoo software its self is not really part of the kernel nor does it require any certification or anything, it simply checks to see if the voodoo driver is loaded and if it is it will work.

This port was originally one by gokhanmoral for the i9300 (international SGS3) siyahkernel kernel.. He ended up taking a slightly different rout though and implemented it with his stweaks application. Regardless the Glitch Team picked up where he left off and made it into a fully working i9300 port.. With the i9300 and Note 2 (all variants) sharing the same SOC (4412) and really even the same AOSP kernel source. I simply picked up the work done by the Glitch team and implemented that into the CM kernel for the 4412 SOC.

I'm aware of all of that. Are you aware that Supercurio went after Gokhanmoral for calling his kanged adaptation Voodoo Sound? In the end Gokhan retracted the use of the Voodoo Sound title.

I have no problem with people doing the adaptations, heck, I even liked what Gokhan did and used it myself. That said, the creator of Voodoo Sound doesn't want that title used for kanged adaptations, which is entirely fair enough in my eyes too.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #234 of 471
I don't care about drama in the Android community anymore, dealt with it long enough and it is one of the reasons I no longer personally release ROM's (I was the primary developer for  the Gummy series as well as Liberty for example).. This belief that something you release under an open source license can and will only be used by you is pretty naive of people and when they get upset over it, it borders on insanity. Now I understand he wants to create a pay-for app and make some money off the popularity of his open source driver plus closed source application, which is cool and all but really that’s not what this is about. I did not release an application and use his Voodoo name.. I did not release a kernel and not supply the SC nor give credit.

Everything I have done was done by the letter of the GPL and if the original creator has a problem with me using anything he releases under that license well to @#@$ bad. I am not looking to make a name for myself as a kernel dev nor will I ever be. I simply implemented a driver that works with his application based off the work he released under the GPL, primarily for personal use. If there was drama about this recently I wasn't aware and frankly, I could really could care less. There may or may not be issues with the implementation, although I have used it all day without a single one. If he chooses to block his app on the play store that’s fine. But the more devices he blocks and the more time he takes to put out a release... the less and less poplular his little creation will be.

Another issue I have with is with a word you used.. Kang!! The way you used it in a negative connotation.. "Kanging:" in other words, using other peoples work, so you don’t have to recreate the wheel is the foundation of the GPL and the Open Source movement. To use terms such as this to ridicule something someone has released or done is total BS.

Sorry about my negative tone.. but the way you seemed to try and set then release the trap of your question/accusations kinda came off as negative as well.  

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #235 of 471
Quote:
I don't care about drama in the Android community anymore, dealt with it long enough and it is one of the reasons I no longer release ROM's (I did the Gummy series and Liberty for example).. This belief that something you release under an open source license can and will only be used by you is pretty naive of people and when they get upset over it, it borders on insanity. Now I understand he wants to create a pay-for app and make some money off the popularity of his open source driver plus closed source application, which is cool and all but really that’s not what this is about. I did not release an application and use his Voodoo name.. I did not release a kernel and not supply the SC nor give credit.

He never said he had a problem with people releasing works based off it, only when they used the Voodoo Sound name for their own work. I just think it is more correct to title your work something else, and credit the open source it came from. I think this is more transparent and prevents disappointment from people who go "oh, Voodoo is finally out!" and rush to see what it is all about and discover it's not exactly what they were looking for.

Another issue I have with is with a word you used.. Kang!! The way you used it in a negative connotation.. "Kanging:" in other words, using other peoples work, so you don’t have to recreate the wheel is the foundation of the GPL and the Open Source movement. To use terms such as this to ridicule something someone has released or done is total BS.

People's understanding of the word kanged varies, I intended no ridicule.

Sorry about my negative tone.. but the way you seemed to try and set then relase the trap of your question accusations kinda came off as negative as well.  

Sorry if it seemed that way, I was merely seeking clarification since I thought I may have perhaps missed a development there from SC (since I've long since given up on Voodoo Sound and following news of it's lack of development, using USB audio here and happy that I will never again have to wait on any dev to improve my devices sound quality for me!). My need for clarification there seems understandable to me, since you did after all call it Voodoo Sound. You'll note people have already posted to other threads here about Voodoo Sound being available, and the result seems to be confusion and uncertainty. Not good for you, them, or SC. I can just see lots of spam queries for you from users wondering if SC's Voodoo Sound is available. I think it's great that you've enabled those audio tweaks for users of CM and AOSP ROMs.

While I'm talking about a lack of clarity; FWIW I can totally see how you read my comments that way even though not intended. Apologies.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #236 of 471
[size=9pt]its all good man.. Actually this and gokhanmoral's original implementation are a voodoo_sound driver. And yes I feel that its okay to use that name as it is literally used in the code as the name. To not use it would be like someone creating a Linux kernel and not calling it Linux.. Well gokhanmoral's used to be a voodoo_sound driver until he did complete fork it and call it scoobydoo_sound. [/size]

https://github.com/gokhanmoral/siyahkernel-sgs3/commit/9ebc041445053bd688fdccd7074fdf035b600966
[size=9pt]lol[/size]

[size=9pt]Since your post though I did a little research into this drama and have to say I stand strong in gokhanmoral's defense and think supercurio was completely out of line.[/size]

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #237 of 471
Quote:
[size=9pt]its all good man.. Actually this and gokhanmoral's original implementation are a voodoo_sound driver. And yes I feel that its okay to use that name as it is literally used in the code as the name. To not use it would be like someone creating a Linux kernel and not calling it Linux.. Well gokhanmoral's used to be a voodoo_sound driver until he did complete fork it and call it scoobydoo_sound. [/size]

https://github.com/gokhanmoral/siyahkernel-sgs3/commit/9ebc041445053bd688fdccd7074fdf035b600966
[size=9pt]lol[/size]

[size=9pt]Since your post though I did a little research into this drama and have to say I stand strong in gokhanmoral's defense and thing supercurio was completely out of line.[/size]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing up for SC here at all, I just think that after all that, for the sake of clarity, a different naming would be better. Like *insert whatever name here*- powered by Voodoo Sound drivers. Or whatever. Prevents you getting dozens of queries about 'ZOMG! Is this SC Voodoo Sound finally?!?!", and prevents dozens of users from having expectations raised and not necessarily met.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #238 of 471
[size=9pt]I agree with what you are saying about avoiding drama and avoiding confusion.. but my morals about OS say the opposite.  Also not sure what else people are looking for?? do you have a Note 2? if so what version? Are you running CM or AOSP? If so why don't I compile a new CM build for you and have you try it out. Then tell me whats different from any other officially supported release with voodoo. I have had three phones that supported voodoo and in fact have one here right now.. I can tell you that I can not tell the difference between either.. Regardless I will change the wording of my original post and say unofficial voodoo driver. That should suffice, right?[/size]

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #239 of 471
Quote:
[size=9pt]I agree with what you are saying about avoiding drama and avoiding confusion.. but my morals about OS say the opposite.  Also not sure what else people are looking for?? do you have a Note 2? if so what version? Are you running CM or AOSP? If so why don't I compile a new CM build for you and have you try it out. Then tell me whats different from any other officially supported release with voodoo. I have had three phones that supported voodoo and in fact have one here right now.. I can tell you that I can not tell the difference between either.. Regardless I will change the wording of my original post and say unofficial voodoo driver. That should suffice, right?[/size]

I think that should suffice, just a little bit of clarity and likely to make your life easier!

I have a Note 2, just running Rooted stock right now to be honest.

I doubt there is really much difference to tell between them as you say. I think by far the most significant aspect of Voodoo has always been the increased volume output, since Samsung is rather shy with their maximum volumes (I've always understood that is to toe the line with EU volume restrictions for hearing protection).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back