Rugby World Cup 2007
Sep 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #61 of 129
Twas a disappointing finish for our side, we were up 12-5 in the third minute of injury time! Nothing seems to be going right this year, except for providing some exciting games.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #62 of 129
To be expected in the end i suppose, England beating Tonga, but they certainly lifted the profile of Island rugby another notch.

Some interesting matchups this weekend,
Ireland/Argentina and Scotland /Italy, could be that the two home unions dont qualify for the next round which would probably be seen as an upset based on rankings at the start of the tournament.
Irelands loss of form has been quite unexpected, dont look anything like the side from a couple of years back.

Have to say I've enjoyed all the games I've seen so far, even those among the so called minnows. The skill level hasn't always been high but there's no doubting the enthusiasm and intensity of the players. The large and noisey crowds have added something extra as well, hope we can match it in 2011.

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #63 of 129
Holy ****!!!, guys for 80 minutes I was Fijian. I haven't seen such an exciting game for some time and I can say without a doubt that so far this has been the best match in this WC. Of course you can't have this kind of match without worthy opponents, much credit for Wales as well. Well deserved win for Fiji, dominating most of the time except during the 10 min yellow card period.

Let's just hope that Nicky Little can play the quarter finals and let us pray that all the upcoming quarters are at least this good.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #65 of 129
Sorry I missed the Wales/Fiji game, way too early in the morning here.
Just finished with the Italy/Scotland game, neither side looked very convincing although conditions weren't the best. Italy have certainly improved over the last few years.

The ABs looked better, more secure in their handling but still too many mistakes. McCaw added some extra zing when he came on.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #66 of 129
Thing is though, I don't think the ABs have played any quality competition. The World Cup really starts now.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #67 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Def /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thing is though, I don't think the ABs have played any quality competition. The World Cup really starts now.

Resurrected/rescued from page 4!!!!

Tone def, I think you're right the ABs have yet to be tested and they have had some serious mis-steps. France is quick on the ball in defence, so the ABs need quicker service from set pieces, rucks and mauls. Once they have the ball and running, if they can tame those errant passes, they will be tough to beat. There were a couple of absolutely stunning tries against Romania that I would defy anyone to stop! But then, I'm biased!

So, Saturday: Australia and England; ABs and France

Sunday: Springboks and Fiji; and Argentina and Scotland.

Predictions anyone?

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #68 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resurrected/rescued from page 4!!!!

Tone def, I think you're right the ABs have yet to be tested and they have had some serious mis-steps. France is quick on the ball in defence, so the ABs need quicker service from set pieces, rucks and mauls. Once they have the ball and running, if they can tame those errant passes, they will be tough to beat. There were a couple of absolutely stunning tries against Romania that I would defy anyone to stop! But then, I'm biased!

So, Saturday: Australia and England; ABs and France

Sunday: Springboks and Fiji; and Argentina and Scotland.

Predictions anyone?

Nice to see you back Mr. Kiwi...and, as usual, your breakdown of the AB's is spot on. The real WC starts now for sure.
As for my predictions...England will find just enough heart to sneak past the Aussies (arrgh! I can't believe I wrote that...no more wee drams for me!) and you'll bury France.
On Sunday the 'Boks will have to much firepower for the Fijians, but I suspect that will be the game of the round, but there is just no way I'm even going to think about our match vs the Argies...I'm a nervous wreck already
wink.gif

Thank goodness the Hockey season starts Friday so I can get back to watching my Sabres tear up the ice....You guys down under should try watching these guys now and again..it's the only sport worth bothering about over here (I'm only saying that as an ex-brit
evil_smiley.gif
) and it sure helps us get through our 5 month long usually very snowy and cold winter!!

Oops...Just noticed you are in SoCal...Did you move or have you been there all along and I've been too blind to notice? Disregard my NHL talk if you have been there all along as you lot have the Cup as you probably well know...

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #70 of 129
You know what the French are saying? Isn't this WC France 2007? Then what the @#! are we playing the most important match in $!#$ Cardiff, Wales.
blink.gif
lol.

France played extremely well after their 1st match defeat so I think we still haven't seen the best of either AB or France. The same goes for England, you have 2 England teams one with Wilkinson and the other one without him. After their 2 games and before the return of Wilkinson I was first to say that they will be crushed, but then it is amazing how one person can bring so much confidence and skill to the whole team. So yeah they have all their chances.

NacMacFeegle you are going to hate me for this, but I think that Scottland with Fiji are the weakest of the bunch. Even weaker than Fiji if they haven't lost their "Wilkinson" Nicky Little in the last minute of the last game against Wales. But hey I am always bad with predictions so I am doing you favour by counting them off.
icon10.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #71 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see you back Mr. Kiwi...and, as usual, your breakdown of the AB's is spot on. The real WC starts now for sure.
As for my predictions...England will find just enough heart to sneak past the Aussies (arrgh! I can't believe I wrote that...no more wee drams for me!) and you'll bury France.
On Sunday the 'Boks will have to much firepower for the Fijians, but I suspect that will be the game of the round, but there is just no way I'm even going to think about our match vs the Argies...I'm a nervous wreck already
wink.gif

Thank goodness the Hockey season starts Friday so I can get back to watching my Sabres tear up the ice....You guys down under should try watching these guys now and again..it's the only sport worth bothering about over here (I'm only saying that as an ex-brit
evil_smiley.gif
) and it sure helps us get through our 5 month long usually very snowy and cold winter!!

Oops...Just noticed you are in SoCal...Did you move or have you been there all along and I've been too blind to notice? Disregard my NHL talk if you have been there all along as you lot have the Cup as you probably well know...

Thanks, guys (maybe ladies?), for weighing in on this and keeping the thread going. Interesting thoughts....

I think bonkon could be right. I am really nervous about the ABs against a quick-to-defend France. The ABs need room to make their moves sometimes. Also England with Wilkinson is a stronger team, but the Wallabies are playing good rugby. Should be a really good match if both teams are playing their best.

I think the Springboks will win against Fiji, but I am just not sure about the Argentinians. Have they had their best games getting to the quarters, or are they just getting better and better? If the latter, Scotland has its hands full.

Yup, Macfeegle, been in southern California for 7 years now. At the risk of showing my age (and incurring the wrath of those who don't care!), I got here via a circuitous route: from Uganda (Dad's a kiwi; Mother English)--> NZ (started my rugby playing there)--> university in England (played on the 1st fifteen) --> Paris (played rugby there too) --> Chicago for graduate school (coached rugby; goodness that place is cold in winter!) --> southern California. I wake up in the morning sometimes and haven't the foggiest idea where I am!!!!

Maybe they could liven up hockey of they wore rugby gear??? I always thought baseball (I call in rounders!) could be improved it you were able to either throw the ball at the runner and if it hits them between bases they're out, or, better yet, tackle them between bases....out again!

What cup? Doth it runneth over with ale?

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #72 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

NacMacFeegle you are going to hate me for this, but I think that Scottland with Fiji are the weakest of the bunch. Even weaker than Fiji if they haven't lost their "Wilkinson" Nicky Little in the last minute of the last game against Wales. But hey I am always bad with predictions so I am doing you favour by counting them off.
icon10.gif

No worries mate...I think you are right
tongue.gif
I only hope Argentina start coughing up penalties and Paterson makes them pay dearly.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #73 of 129
Quote:

Yup, Macfeegle, been in southern California for 7 years now. At the risk of showing my age (and incurring the wrath of those who don't care!), I got here via a circuitous route: from Uganda (Dad's a kiwi; Mother English)--> NZ (started my rugby playing there)--> university in England (played on the 1st fifteen) --> Paris (played rugby there too) --> Chicago for graduate school (coached rugby; goodness that place is cold in winter!) --> southern California. I wake up in the morning sometimes and haven't the foggiest idea where I am!!!!

Maybe they could liven up hockey of they wore rugby gear??? I always thought baseball (I call in rounders!) could be improved it you were able to either throw the ball at the runner and if it hits them between bases they're out, or, better yet, tackle them between bases....out again!

What cup? Doth it runneth over with ale?

That would be Lord Stanleys' cup, won by the Anaheim Ducks...
Boy I thought I had a crazy round the world trip to end up where I am... From Zambia (both parents Scottish) via Wales, Scotland, Germany, Belize, Falkland Islands, back to the UK, and then to here in sunny upstate NY. Of course my family uprooted and moved out to Perth, W.Australia somewhere in between all my moves, so I have pretty much all the world covered when it comes to finding someone to root for
biggrin.gif

I suspect your ideas for the improvement of baseball are a wee bit too radical for most...I think they're not bad, and with a few tweaks could be workable
tongue.gif
Hockey, however, needs no improving on...!

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #74 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be Lord Stanleys' cup, won by the Anaheim Ducks...
Boy I thought I had a crazy round the world trip to end up where I am... From Zambia (both parents Scottish) via Wales, Scotland, Germany, Belize, Falkland Islands, back to the UK, and then to here in sunny upstate NY. Of course my family uprooted and moved out to Perth, W.Australia somewhere in between all my moves, so I have pretty much all the world covered when it comes to finding someone to root for
biggrin.gif

I suspect your ideas for the improvement of baseball are a wee bit too radical for most...I think they're not bad, and with a few tweaks could be workable
tongue.gif
Hockey, however, needs no improving on...!

So Stanley invented hockey...whilst he was in Africa??? Must have been on Kilimanjaro or the Ruwenzori...!!!

Good to meet a fellow world traveller and a multi-expat! Growing up in Africa was a blast! Well, my bride would question the growing up part!

I never had any doubts about or wavering for the ABs. When I was about 4, my father told me I needed a passport to travel and I had to choose what nationality I wanted to be (Ugandan, English, or a Kiwi like him), well guess what a young boy chooses??????? Ever since then a true Kiwi am I, still refusing to become a US citizen! (In case anyone from the INS is monitoring the site for undocumented people/workers, I am married to a US citizen and I hold a green (fading!) card!!)

In the mean time......GO ALL BLACKS!

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #75 of 129
Quote:

I think the Springboks will win against Fiji

Yeah I think so too. The islanders play some pretty physical rugby and don't forget they are the world's top sevens team. Needless to say, much respect here. The only two things worrying me though are ill-discipline and injuries.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back