Rugby World Cup 2007
Sep 15, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #46 of 129
Can't wait for tomorrow, I think Canada has a pretty decent chance against Fiji. Just have to keep the tackles hard and the ball moving.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #47 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good points, tuatara. Even today, Wales suffered a bit from poor support from the pack when they got the ball out fast.

Did you see the quick service today from loose play by the Aussies against Wales? The continuity was so different from yesterday's less-than-stellar match between England and SA. As a result, today's Australia/Wales game was one of the best so far, especially the second half when the two sides played pretty much evenly. Good ball-handling, passing and running the ball. Just plain good rugby! I'm glad I watched it.

The game between the ABs and Portugal was a tad one-sided!

The ABs wont be happy with parts of their performance. At times they seemed to switch of although to be fair it must be difficult to keep concentration in such a one sided match. Interesting to see an All Black pack with a prop and loose forward playing at locks and a hooker on the side on the scrum.

I've been pretty impressed with the games I've seen so far even if some of the rugby has been less than stellar . The enthusiastic crowds have been great and the pitches look immaculate. I hope we can match these at the next world cup.

England looked very poor against SA, which I suppose is just a continuation of their performances stince winning the last cup.

I'm looking forward to Irelands pool games against Argentina and France which will have some real bite in them with so much at stake.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #49 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait for tomorrow, I think Canada has a pretty decent chance against Fiji. Just have to keep the tackles hard and the ball moving.

Sounds like you guys put up a hell of a fight, only losing it all in the waning minutes..Unlucky...

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #50 of 129
Not sure what happened to Ireland yesterday. I didn't watch the match. Any insights?

tuatara, I read an interview wih the AB coach who said the AB pack would'nt be ready for three weeks! Maybe that's why he is having some interesting combinations in the pack. He can afford to experiment! But if he's right and everyone stays healthy and out of card trouble, the ABs could be real trouble.

Yes, Portugal had a good 22 minutes, but then five tries in 12 minutes pretty much did Portugal in. As much as I think it's true that one sometimes does play "down to the competition", the score pretty much tells the story of how dominant are the ABs. At least Portugal got to score the first drop goal of the tournament!

England has lost Jamie Noon at centre for the rest of the tournament. England certainly does not need that! and who knows how long Larkham will be out for the Wallabies. They will need him for the big matches coming up.

Next good match, Irealnd/France on Friday? Any predictions?

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #51 of 129
Wanted to share a comment from an article I read regarding the RWC, specifically about England, which made me chuckle. It was by a well known rugby journo, and went something like:

Quote:

England is now reminiscing about the days when their next match was against Western Samoa. Now they have to face the whole darned island.

In essence, it raised the question about who exactly the underdog is in the upcoming fixture
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #52 of 129
This needs a bump!

I think Scotland could have done better against Romania. Quick start, then things strated to slow down. Maybe it was the level of competition!

I still think they will give the ABs a run for their money on home pitch.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #53 of 129
Quote:

This needs a bump!

I think Scotland could have done better against Romania. Quick start, then things strated to slow down. Maybe it was the level of competition!

I still think they will give the ABs a run for their money on home pitch.

I'll be happy if we hold you to under 40 points...
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #54 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you guys put up a hell of a fight, only losing it all in the waning minutes..Unlucky...

It was quite literally like a foot. We were a foot away from winning, it was friggin ridiculous. Ah well, I wasn't expecting us to win, but we've been giving a hell of a fight!

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #56 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be happy if we hold you to under 40 points...
tongue.gif

Mac, I think you're being too gracious.....generous!! I bet you have a good chance of so doing. Home pitch counts for a lot!

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #57 of 129
Quote:

Mac, I think you're being too gracious.....generous!! I bet you have a good chance of so doing. Home pitch counts for a lot!

There's a fair weight of history that says not. Scotland have never beaten the ABs and I cant see it happening now.
None of the 6 Nations sides have looked like champions at this stage although France could have a sniff depending which frame of mind they bring to the quarters to get past the All Blacks, which looks like the route they'll have to take.

I've been quite impressed with some of the so called minnows, while they may lack finess there's never any doubt on their commitment.

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #58 of 129
Whoa!!! Had to go 6 pages back to find this thread...so a worthy bump!
tongue.gif

Scotland did not disappoint going down 0-40 to your All Blacks, but we shall see if the plan of using mainly second stringers worked when we play Italy...fingers crossed.
Last night looked like real fun for the 'minnows' of the tourney: Canada vs Japan and Romania vs Portugal. From what I've read it sounds like the skills were limited but the heart was all there and more. Wish I could watch these games...They even advertised the Scotland/ AB match, but showed boxing instead
mad.gif
The last match I got to watch was on Sunday and it was France/Ireland...The rest of you guys are sooo lucky!!!
I am enjoying the mob over at the BBCs' blogs. A little different take on things. I totally agree with some of their points and poo poo others. I really think there should be a two-tier 6 nations with promotion and relegation. It would give the likes of Portugal, Georgia et al a chance to play up every year instead of once every 4! And there has to be a way to fit the Argentina/Tonga/Fiji/Samoa group into the Tri-Nation don't you think?
Oh well...just rambling a bit...bring on the Azzuri...

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #59 of 129
Yeah I agree that Argentina/Tonga/Fiji/Samoa group should play into the Tri-Nation or six nations. They are getting closer to the Northern Hemisphere level each WC, if only Tonga/Fiji/Samoa get their throw-ins and line-outs right...
Well I can't wait to see the England game, GO TONGA!!!! They really deserve to go in the quarterfinals, look how tight the game against South Africa was and unlike Scotland they went all out for every match. They could have rested their players and concentrate on the England match but no, that's the spirit. Maybe not very tactical but certainly entertaining.

What happened to the jerseys for the AB-Scotland match, that was really annoying. Didn't the ref check it out before?

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #60 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happened to the jerseys for the AB-Scotland match, that was really annoying. Didn't the ref check it out before?

Yeah..no kidding...they looked messed up.
And oh yeah...Go Tonga too!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back