RudiStor NX-03, RPX-33 [NX03, RPX33]: Rudi rules!
Sep 24, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #46 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's RPX-100 like ?

When I got my mine I came from an EarMax AE tube amp so the leap was huge, not so much in quality of the amp but in presentation. I made the switch as I was finding that what with tubes in the output stage of my cd player and the tube amp it was simply getting to be too much on the warm and fuzzy side. The RPX-100 is all about control and great dynamics but still retains just a little bit of the warmth from tubes. I love it both with L3000 and GS-1000 but don't have any other higher end amps to compare it with.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #47 of 187
Quote:

So Soundinista, have you ordered your next Rudistor amp ?

I have -- exactly as described in the original post: Ordered the RPX-33 24 hours after I received the NX-03. (It was ordered at the RudiStor website.)

But maybe I should emphasize that the second order (for the RPX-33) was caused solely by how positively impressed I was (still am) with the NX-03. It wasn't any mismatch -- or dissatisfaction of some other kind -- between the NX-03 and my phones. That's what's left me looking like this:
eek.gif
Very rarely, in my life as an audiophile, have I looked like that!!

Cheers,

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #49 of 187
Quote:

You didn't waste any time ! I'm waiting for my cd player to arrive, I have to know how my new setup will sound before I consider another amplifier.

A-O, that's a really kind way of putting it! Appreciated!

You know, sometime ago, I'd have called it utter insanity to buy a piece of equipment when you can't find any flaw in the one you already have. Today, somehow, it does feel like I was just avoiding a waste of time, indeed. Maybe that's how it feels when you finally find something special and you think you can get some more of that good stuff.

beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #50 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there was a decent bump from the NX01 to NX02. May be the same between the NX02 and NX03.

I think this may depend on the headphones used. Word (from Rudistor) is that the NX-03 will work better for a wider variety of headphone impedances, while the NX-02 was tweaked specifically for the 40-ohm Ultrasone Proline 2500/750's.

So, the newer model may work better with 300-ohm Senns, but not necessarily better (nor worse) with low-impedance cans.

I can't really imagine anyone with an NX-02 upgrading to the NX-03. More likely to one of Rudi's fully discrete designs.

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #51 of 187
Soundinista
Look forward to your comment on what you gain by going from NX-03 to RPX-33. I am trying to decide between the NX-03 and PS Audio GCHA, but prepared to sprang more to get the RPX-33.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #52 of 187
I emailed Rudistor to ask of the quality of single ended (unbalanced) output of the NX-03 versus NX33. Here is their reply:

"although not 100% that same the SE output of NX-33 can be considered form sonic point of view and output level the equivalent of NX03."

That actually concerns me a little, as I read in the 6moons review of the NX33 and also from these forums that the single ended output of the NX33 left much to be desired as compared to the balanced.

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #53 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundinista
Look forward to your comment on what you gain by going from NX-03 to RPX-33. I am trying to decide between the NX-03 and PS Audio GCHA, but prepared to sprang more to get the RPX-33.

Hello, Greeni! The RPX-33 should be with me tomorrow. I'll post with my impressions asap within the next few days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni
I emailed Rudistor to ask of the quality of single ended (unbalanced) output of the NX-03 versus NX33. Here is their reply:

"although not 100% that same the SE output of NX-33 can be considered form sonic point of view and output level the equivalent of NX03."

That actually concerns me a little, as I read in the 6moons review of the NX33 and also from these forums that the single ended output of the NX33 left much to be desired as compared to the balanced.

I have no experience of the NX33. But I can vouch for the NX-03. It's a top-notch performer with all of my phones, a really safe buy IMO.

Cheers,

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #54 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The single ended of the NX33 actually uses the same four internal amps of the amp, just that not in oposed phase, so the sound should be, and IMO is, very similar.
What makes the big difference is not the amp, but the heapdhone you use, and what is true is that the HD650/600 (the usual heapdhone that our customers and members here use to pair with it) do have a big difference in performance while it is drived in single ended, or in balanced mode, that is why the performance of the two, paired together is different in the two modes...

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #55 of 187
Extending from the single ended debate between the NX-03 and the NX-33:

Is the single ended output of the RPX-100 the same as the RPX-33 or is it noticeably (and I mean worthy of the price hike) better?

I'm considering the RPX-100 as one of the many options of amps out there but I don't have balanced cans or sources nor would I have any in the near future.

Is it a waste of moneey over the RPX-33?

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #56 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Extending from the single ended debate between the NX-03 and the NX-33:

Is the single ended output of the RPX-100 the same as the RPX-33 or is it noticeably (and I mean worthy of the price hike) better?

I'm considering the RPX-100 as one of the many options of amps out there but I don't have balanced cans or sources nor would I have any in the near future.

Is it a waste of moneey over the RPX-33?

No, they are different, but if you are going to use the RPX100 as single ended only, I suggest you to get the RPX33, as the RPX100 will be a waste, so why spending more?
BTW you do not need the balanced source to get a balanced output in Rudistor amps, they will convert the signal internally from SE to balanced. And what makes the more noticeable difference (if not the whole difference) while driving headphones, is the balanced output, what improves the control over the drivers...

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #58 of 187
Found this post by Markl in his thread on the RudiStor RP010 (link by Audio-Omega on previous page):

Quote:

I know it's unpopular, but screw tubes! Boo-hiss, I hate them. Yes, they can add tone and body and warmth to cheap amps that need it. Sure, it can be an imperfect "solution" to poorly designed solid state amps.

I hate tubes because the best ones you'd actually want are rare and hard to find, and EXPENSIVE. I hate them because they wear out and need to be replaced. I hate them because there are forgeries and dealers you can't trust who will sell you bogus tubes that may have only half their strength left. I hate tubes because it's ancient technology easily bested by properly configured solid state technology that will LAST.

The fact is, with a properly-designed solid-state circuit, you get all the great tome/timbre of tubes without any of the draw-backs. You can also get better precision and bass response.

No, I can't argue that every solid state circuit out-performs every tube circuit. Hardly. I am saying it costs a lot to get proper solid state performance, but once you have it, you have it forever, it won't fade or die on you like a tube.

Amen, brother!

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #60 of 187
Quote:

I was told that RPX-33 is close to RPX-100 in the single ended section.

They are very close indeed, the RPX33 is IMO an slightly warmer...but they are very close soundwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back