RudiStor NX-03, RPX-33 [NX03, RPX33]: Rudi rules!
Sep 19, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #16 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the family, and enjoy it, just sit now and get sucked into the musical bliss...
icon10.gif

Sovkiller. Thanks for the NX-02 recommendation - I asked you about synergy with the Ed 9's a while back.

Edition 9's: I've read alot about the optimal listening postion with regards
to the head band's position on the head, and the cups' placement with
respect to the ears. What's your take on this?

Your comments appreciated.

Random comment: I am amazed that the Ed 9's use the same driver
as the 750's (my previous cans)....the difference justifies the cost
I believe.

Cheers
Mike

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 187
Third night with the NX-03, three hours straight with the rediscovered DT990-600 on my head:
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

[Beffudled Soundinista at an uncharacteristic loss for words to praise the NX-03, scratches head, thinks to himself: "This is getting embarrassing...If I could only criticize this little monster in some regard...There's gotta be a fault somewhere...How can I say that the soundstage of the DT990-600 nearly doubled in size?...How can I plausibly convey the bewildering notion that the DT990-600 are new headphones altogether?...Get yourself together, man...Enough already!]

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Definately will be interesting to find out how rpx33 ev08 vs nx-03 vs headroom desktop! Can't wait for Soundinista's review!!...

Thanks, Sleepy! Yes, I'll call it like I see it when I get the chance. I'm not here to mince words. Let manufacturers and dealers take their risks. We pay for our toys. Let them worry about the consequences and get their acts together. But I wanna make sure I'll do it responsibly. I'll need the time to listen with the same cables, same recordings, etc. So, it may take a while for me to find the time. But I will, asap. For now, I can say with confidence: the DT990-600 partnered with the NX-03 is a sonic knockout. Maybe not the last word in neutrality. But, oh boy, this is where you can laugh about neutrality!

Mike, there's a place where we redefine the term "sobriety"!
icon10.gif
(Now, let's face it: Notice how stupidly people spend their hard-earned bucks. We're not doing so bad at all.)

BTW, there are many inspired aliases at Head-Fi, but, if they hold a contest, "Thathertz" gets my vote!
dt880smile.png

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 187
Quote:

Note rpx33 ev08 does take 2 weeks or so to run in, and you may need to experiment plugging one way or the other with the 2 pin power cable supplied to get the best sound - i.e. plugging it one way maybe better than the other way. Alternatively you could just use a UK or US plug cable.)

rpx33.

Sorry can you explain what you mean about the power cable?

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #19 of 187
Hi cappellano, in the UK we use 3 pin UK plug (with a fuse on the 'live' wire) but the rudistor came with a power cable that terminate in a 2 pin Euro plug. This mean it is possible to plug the 2 pin plug either way into an UK wall socket. However, from listening, it seems the sound is different depending on which way you plug it in - I think one direction sounds better than the other. I am guessing this is an electric current phase issue. However, if you have an Euro type wall socket I don't think this will be an issue. The easiest way to over come this is either replace the Euro plug with a normal UK plug or just get a power cord that terminate in UK or US plug.

Thank you Soundinista re: report, really looking forward to it!!

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 187
Soundinista, how does the DX1000 fare with the NX-03?

The NX-03 is in my price range and if sounds amazing with the DX1000 that would certainly put ithigh in my list.

Shame about the single RCA input.

EDIT: I suppose the RPX33 EV-08 is not entirely out of the question. I guess that would be a better choice for the DX1000...

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #21 of 187
Quote:

Hi cappellano, in the UK we use 3 pin UK plug (with a fuse on the 'live' wire) but the rudistor came with a power cable that terminate in a 2 pin Euro plug. This mean it is possible to plug the 2 pin plug either way into an UK wall socket. However, from listening, it seems the sound is different depending on which way you plug it in - I think one direction sounds better than the other. I am guessing this is an electric current phase issue. However, if you have an Euro type wall socket I don't think this will be an issue. The easiest way to over come this is either replace the Euro plug with a normal UK plug or just get a power cord that terminate in UK or US plug.

How do you manage to get the round euro prongs into a uk rectangular wall socket, that is a feat I have never managed. As to things sounding different depending what way you plug the euro plug that is a well known fact as one pin is live and the other neutral so reversing the plug reverses the current flow through the appliance. It can also be critical that you get source and amp plugged the same way.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #22 of 187
You can get travel adaptors. My Satellite receiver came with a Euro two prong plug, just stuck it in one and it worked fine.

Trying anything else is liable to get you or your equipment fried, isn't it.
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #23 of 187
nc8000 - well I just force it in.... all you need to do is use a screw driver and press down on the 'earth' hole and push in the Euro plug at the same time. I think it just fit the UK wall socket.

Re: fried equiment, I hope not lol....

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #24 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundinista, how does the DX1000 fare with the NX-03?

The NX-03 is in my price range and if sounds amazing with the DX1000 that would certainly put ithigh in my list.

Shame about the single RCA input.

EDIT: I suppose the RPX33 EV-08 is not entirely out of the question. I guess that would be a better choice for the DX1000...

Gazza, I will report on the DX1000-NX03 coupling asap, hopefully sometime this week. Fact is, the DX1000 has been so consistently wonderful with my other amps (consistently #1) that I didn't make it a priority for these few hours that I've had with the NX-03. So far, the score is: one night with the D5000 and two nights with the DT990-600. I haven't yet touched the mighty one since I received the amp. Saving the best for last!
tongue_smile.gif

Cheers,

PS: Hello, Sovkiller! Man, I can hear your evil laugh!
biggrin.gif
Congrats on the partnership with Dr. Stor!

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 187
what effect does swapping the mains supply polarity have on the smoothed DC power that drives the amplification circuitry?

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #26 of 187
I do not know the technical reason (assuming there is one) but the difference can be clearly audible.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #29 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yesterday, I received the NX-03 amp that I bought from you. The amp arrived safely and was, indeed, very carefully packaged, as you promised it would be. I then started putting it through its paces. I got the burn-in process started with the Sennheiser HD650, a relatively heavy load. Right out of the box, using the DAC in the Grace m902 as source, I noticed how the NX-03 grabbed the HD650 by the throat, so to speak, with an iron fist. There were loads of power on tap, and I breathed a long sigh of relief. The black background you described on your website was there too. At this point, just minutes into one of my favorite jazz organ recordings, I thought to myself: “This amp is promising!”

Then, I left, to teach my evening classes.

When I came back, late in the evening, I turned the amp on again. The HD650 was still the headphone of choice for a few more minutes of burn-in. This time, I thought I’d throw a marvelously dynamic soundtrack at the NX-03 – an episode of the TV series “The Unit” (a real sonic experience, as far as these things go). This was supposed to go on for some 15 minutes, since it was bedtime for me already. I watched the whole episode. I remember thinking: “The HD650 has never sounded better.” Then I couldn’t resist extending the audition just a little. Since it was bedtime and music gets me too excited, I thought I’d just try a little Rolling Stones – relatively light fare, fairly easy to turn off. I started watching disc three of “The Biggest Bang” DVD set. The first two tracks – a great recording of the RS in Japan – came and went. When I noticed it, I was already deeply into the China performances. I thought: “This amp is really very promising.”

If the NX-03 output is similar to that of my NX-33 (which I believe is fair to assume), I only can recommend you to try the HD650 balanced out of the NX-33... I wrote some impressions here, but more will come.

It could be extremely instructive/suprising to compare the single ended output of the RPX-33 against balanced output of NX-33 for HD650.

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #30 of 187
To make the experiment fair I think for the SE headphone wire (for the rpx33 end) should also be from non standard headphone wire. Ideally the same make headphone wire should be used, one with SE and one with balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back