Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #632 of 4,743
  Hey, you may have an idea there.! I will let you know when the SR 009 comes in...then we will see. Actually, on second thoughts the best way to do it so that the family is not disturbed is to rent a conference room and move the equipment there. That way, my wife will not know how much I have and more importantly how much I spent. If 5/6 people come down from Delhi/Mumbai/wherever to hear music, do you know how much suspicion that would generate?
biggrin.gif
. We addicts live a life of secrecy when it comes to equipment (at least I do).T

True Dat. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #634 of 4,743
Addict 101. Lesson 1. Spread the equipment around.
Lesson 2. Take some to the office. I have my own room.

When I was in school, I used to hide Cannibal Corpse, Death, Immolation casettes inside a thick book (made into a box) I think I saw that in a Bond movie :)

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #636 of 4,743
  I wanted to know what you guys think of sennheiser hd650.

I am planning to skip it, but a lot of people think its a must have atleast once. 

Used to be summit-fi some years ago. Lovely musical HP which is on the dark side with hard-hitting bass and very good treble. Piar it with a tube amp and IMO it is worthwhile owning it for some time.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #638 of 4,743

Something I was working on...full range planar ..2 and a half feet long by 1 feet wide ...sadly the magnets needs gluing. The reflection is from the pet film

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #639 of 4,743
Can any of you good folks suggest a good portable over-ear headphone for a friend of mine? He is a high-end speakers person and is just starting to dip his feet into head-fi waters. His preferred budget is under 20,000 INR, but he can stretch it up to 25,000 INR if it's worth it. Also he prefers his sound fairly neutral with no harsh treble. And he said he mainly listens to vocals-oriented music more, and that his main source would be the iPad.

For starters, I suggested the following:
1. V Moda  M100
2. Sony MDR-1R Mk2
3. Senn Momentum
4. Denon D340 (only since I have one, and its sound sig. matches his preference, that's all)
5. AKG K550 ? (I'm depending on you, vaibhav, for your inputs :) )

Please put in your inputs and help yours truly here, so that I can visit him more often after he buys his headphones :wink:

Thanks & cheers!

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #640 of 4,743
  Can any of you good folks suggest a good portable over-ear headphone for a friend of mine? He is a high-end speakers person and is just starting to dip his feet into head-fi waters. His preferred budget is under 20,000 INR, but he can stretch it up to 25,000 INR if it's worth it. Also he prefers his sound fairly neutral with no harsh treble. And he said he mainly listens to vocals-oriented music more, and that his main source would be the iPad.

1. V Moda  M100
2. Sony MDR-1R Mk2
3. Senn Momentum
4. Denon D340 (only since I have one, and its sound sig. matches his preference, that's all)

Please put in your inputs and help yours truly here, so that I can visit him more often after he buys his headphones :wink:

Thanks & cheers!

V-moda XS (this is on-ear not over-ear). In my opinion, pretty neutral but a very good headphone. Very comfortable. Costs $200. Momentums were darker (I owned them).

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #641 of 4,743

1. V Moda  M100
2. Sony MDR-1R Mk2
3. Senn Momentum

Thanks & cheers!

portable over ear driven by ipad?

I for one would'nt spend 20 k for such hp. akg k550 certainly can be driven by ipad but a lot of potential will be wasted. also they do seal well but are rather bulky to be carried around.

if he prefers a warmer or darker signature I recommend UE6000. I bought them for my brother. they can be driven well by phone, look great, are truely portable. and right now are going at a great discount at flipkart.

as for sound, they are dark but still quiet clear and overall enjoyable. I would place it near level of mdr 1r.

I have heard momentum and their signature was very similar to my hd518, but with lesser soundstage. overall I thought they were waste of money (for 25 k) cause only thing they had over hd518 was refinement and smoother sound.

MDR 1r are also good but only if discounted on flipkart. overall has more treble than momentum. little less refined than momentum but more than hd518. instrument separation is good. overall a much more unique sound and one that I will buy over momentum (as I have owned way too many senns)

cant comment on others.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #642 of 4,743
V-moda XS (this is on-ear not over-ear). In my opinion, pretty neutral but a very good headphone. Very comfortable. Costs $200. Momentums were darker (I owned them).

Thank you for your suggestion. I have come across the XS but how much would it cost after shipping and customs? Also I'm not sure my friend likes on ears that much. But will definitely put this as an option.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #643 of 4,743
portable over ear driven by ipad?

I for one would'nt spend 20 k for such hp. akg k550 certainly can be driven by ipad but a lot of potential will be wasted. also they do seal well but are rather bulky to be carried around.

if he prefers a warmer or darker signature I recommend UE6000. I bought them for my brother. they can be driven well by phone, look great, are truely portable. and right now are going at a great discount at flipkart.

as for sound, they are dark but still quiet clear and overall enjoyable. I would place it near level of mdr 1r.

I have heard momentum and their signature was very similar to my hd518, but with lesser soundstage. overall I thought they were waste of money (for 25 k) cause only thing they had over hd518 was refinement and smoother sound.

MDR 1r are also good but only if discounted on flipkart. overall has more treble than momentum. little less refined than momentum but more than hd518. instrument separation is good. overall a much more unique sound and one that I will buy over momentum (as I have owned way too many senns)

cant comment on others.

Thanks for your inputs, yes I had the UE6000 shortlisted too. But read that it was a bit too heavy for a portable. But at the current prices, its a no brainer, for us. Also he doesn't want active NC , although I told him that they sounded better in passive mode, according to most reviews. As for the source, I had suggested he go for a portable DAC amp combo like the E07k but he says he'll get the headphone first and upgrade later. That's why I was considering Momentum mainly, being easy to drive.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #644 of 4,743
Thanks for your inputs, yes I had the UE6000 shortlisted too. But read that it was a bit too heavy for a portable. But at the current prices, its a no brainer, for us. Also he doesn't want active NC , although I told him that they sounded better in passive mode, according to most reviews. As for the source, I had suggested he go for a portable DAC amp combo like the E07k but he says he'll get the headphone first and upgrade later. That's why I was considering Momentum mainly, being easy to drive.

it is somewhat heavy because of 2 AAA batteries. if he won't use active noise cancellation then without batteries it will be slightly heavier than normal hp.

also for source, I would recommend something like fiio x5.

that way he can use it as source for much higher end amps he will probably get afterwards.

he can also consider stopping at fiio x5 if he chooses headphones wisely (easy to drive but high end like akg k812 or shure srh 1840)

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #645 of 4,743
it is somewhat heavy because of 2 AAA batteries. if he won't use active noise cancellation then without batteries it will be slightly heavier than normal hp.

also for source, I would recommend something like fiio x5.

that way he can use it as source for much higher end amps he will probably get afterwards.

he can also consider stopping at fiio x5 if he chooses headphones wisely (easy to drive but high end like akg k812 or shure srh 1840)

Yes I'll put the UE6000 in the shortlist. As for the X5, I'll tell him but his main purpose being music, video and movies I don't think he'll move away from his iPad.
And as for the headphones, I don't think he'll stretch his budget to top end models,and also I wouldn't recommend it as a first purchase. He can upgrade according to his sound preferences later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back