Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #616 of 4,743
I reached out to Wachara last night. He does not have like an instruction list or anything but advised me to read this:

http://headwize.com/?page_id=729

If you have anything simpler, would appreciate you sharing with us.

Thanks

Hi that article is really really good and almost a standard if there is one. I believe Wachara's builds are closer to perfection though.
You can read up any article on ESLs to understand the principle. I am away from home but will toss up links later.
In the meanwhile check Jazzman's DIY ESL. That is a whole new game altogether.
The only difference between ESLs and Estat headphones are bias voltage, size of diaphragm,spacer distance and headbands
All the very best

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #617 of 4,743
I didn't understand the head and tail of what you just wrote..
Wachara doesn't measure his builds from what I know. innerfidelity measured his headphones for the first time and praised them comparing them to the sr009. he uses his ear to get where he is and the going is pretty darn good!!

in easy words:

there are 2 ways of making a good headphone :

1, you know what you are doing.

2. throwing different components at it to see if it improves sound

first one is engineer's approach. second one is modder's.

I dunno how hard concepts of headphone design are to grasp.

But being electrical engineer i can say fundamentals of building amp can be understood with enough study though no doubt its hard work. you should have a clear cut understanding if you want to act like engineer or modder to get fast results.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #618 of 4,743
OK ..thanks I just found the first one jumbled!

Wachara uses a trial and error method but he has superceded many engineers at least that's what I would say from my.auditioning of his cans!! he has been active for a long time and had his share of hardships. But he is a great individual .
To me the toughest thing in my small scale build was finding substitute for products recommended in the article s I read online.
I know people who have not passed high school who know what they are doing and have so much knowledge , it makes me wonder why I went to college! :wink:

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #619 of 4,743
OK ..thanks I just found the first one jumbled!

Wachara uses a trial and error method but he has superceded many engineers at least that's what I would say from my.auditioning of his cans!! he has been active for a long time and had his share of hardships. But he is a great individual .
To me the toughest thing in my small scale build was finding substitute for products recommended in the article s I read online.
I know people who have not passed high school who know what they are doing and have so much knowledge , it makes me wonder why I went to college!
wink.gif

its ok to use whichever approach works.

if I were to make headphone maybe I will take modders approach.

though for amp building I am confident engineers approach is the only way.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #620 of 4,743
I don't really agree there is some kind of clear cut distinction between engineers approach and modders approach. Modders at some point have to give in to engineering things or designs. You have to know the in and out of everything that you are doing... There is no skipping especially when poor isolation can cost your life.
the only thing i wish I did learn was carpentry..... The possibilities with wood is just amazing.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #621 of 4,743
I don't really agree there is some kind of clear cut distinction between engineers approach and modders approach. Modders at some point have to give in to engineering things or designs. You have to know the in and out of everything that you are doing... There is no skipping especially when poor isolation can cost your life.
the only thing i wish I did learn was carpentry..... The possibilities with wood is just amazing.

anyone can take engineers approach as long as you know what you are doing.

the moment a modder starts understanding things, it becomes engineers approach

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #622 of 4,743
vaibhavp said:

anyone can take engineers approach as long as you know what you are doing.

the moment a modder starts understanding things, it becomes engineers approach

I m sorry but from where are you getting all this ?? Do you mean to say a modder doesn't understand what he is doing ? Just confused with all that you are posting

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #623 of 4,743
I m sorry but from where are you getting all this ?? Do you mean to say a modder doesn't understand what he is doing ? Just confused with all that you are posting

you open up a headphone, spot a foam piece, cut it down to see what happens. thats modders approach.

if you know why that foam piece is there, and what will happen when you remove it, then its engineers approach.

simple.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #624 of 4,743
How does this apply to a person interested in building stuff up from scratch like ganesh? There is no headphone here that he is opening up or no foam that he is removing... He is planning on building one from scratch

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #625 of 4,743
Ahem, sorry to interrupt you guys. :wink:

But I was just thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad idea for all of us to just head out to Mr Ganesh's place (considering that his house is a mini head-fi meet in itself) and just have a listen to all the good stuff he has at his abode (with said Mr Ganesh willing, of course), all the while sipping good cups of Filter Coffee and whatever accompaniments are provided! Not least the music collection :)

Don't worry Mr Ganesh, yours truly isn't serious of course...at least for now :wink:

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #626 of 4,743
How does this apply to a person interested in building stuff up from scratch like ganesh? There is no headphone here that he is opening up or no foam that he is removing... He is planning on building one from scratch

it was a simple example.

if I make a headphone and it has bloated bass or aggressive treble, how will I correct it?

these questions and their answers you should have in mind before you approach building it. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #627 of 4,743
  Ahem, sorry to interrupt you guys. :wink:

But I was just thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad idea for all of us to just head out to Mr Ganesh's place (considering that his house is a mini head-fi meet in itself) and just have a listen to all the good stuff he has at his abode (with said Mr Ganesh willing, of course), all the while sipping good cups of Filter Coffee and whatever accompaniments are provided! Not least the music collection :)

Don't worry Mr Ganesh, yours truly isn't serious of course...at least for now :wink:

Hey, you may have an idea there.! I will let you know when the SR 009 comes in...then we will see. Actually, on second thoughts the best way to do it so that the family is not disturbed is to rent a conference room and move the equipment there. That way, my wife will not know how much I have and more importantly how much I spent. If 5/6 people come down from Delhi/Mumbai/wherever to hear music, do you know how much suspicion that would generate?
biggrin.gif
. We addicts live a life of secrecy when it comes to equipment (at least I do).

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #628 of 4,743
  Hey, you may have an idea there.! I will let you know when the SR 009 comes in...then we will see. Actually, on second thoughts the best way to do it so that the family is not disturbed is to rent a conference room and move the equipment there. That way, my wife will not know how much I have and more importantly how much I spent. If 5/6 people come down from Delhi/Mumbai/wherever to hear music, do you know how much suspicion that would generate?
biggrin.gif
. We addicts live a life of secrecy when it comes to equipment (at least I do).

lol.

you can't be serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back