Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Sep 6, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #1,066 of 1,316
No worries. Factory reset just resets everything regarding mango like its setting and what headwhaker meant, the music library. Mango ha to scan all songs again after a factory reset to build the music library.
Rockbox also has a library, but it is not affected by the factory reset because it is in the internal drive. The factory reset does not touch your files in the internal drive or the sd card. The cache they were talking about is on a different partition.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #1,067 of 1,316
Thanks very much. Just to to clarify then, when you say 
Rockbox also has a library, but it is not affected by the factory reset because it is in the internal drive

what are you referring to by "it"?  Do you mean the Rockbox library is in the .Rockbox folder  or do you mean it is in the internal storage of the i basso itself? At the moment, as a result of me downloading Napka's most recent modified stock firmware and Rockbox dual boot loader, these three folders are on my DX90's internal storage drive :

.album_img

.rockbox

Playlists

So, I think you are saying that the music library (not the FLAC files themselves) within Mango (which Headwhacker mentioned) is on the dx90's internal storage whereas the Rockbox library is within its own .rockbox sub folder that I have referred to above, and which sits on the dx90's internal storage drive?  (In my case, when I connect my dx90 into my laptop, the drive shows as E: and then the three sub folders above are on that drive).  Am I correct?

Many thanks for your help and clarifying that none of my actual FLAC files will be deleted as a result of a factory reset.

On a separate final note, since you gave me some advice on where to download the dual boot version of Rockbox and Mango from Napka's site recently, I did this and have been navigating my way around it.  I will send a separate post on this thread about my initial thoughts and issues.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,068 of 1,316
Here are all partitions:
root@android:/ # df
Filesystem             Size   Used   Free   Blksize
/dev                  199.3M  36.0K  199.3M   4096
/mnt/asec             199.3M  0.0 K  199.3M   4096
/mnt/obb              199.3M  0.0 K  199.3M   4096
/system               511.2M  116.4M  394.8M   1024
/data                 1007.9M  33.3M  974.6M   4096
/cache                124.0M  16.1M  107.9M   4096
/mnt/external_sd      58.5G  50.1G  8.5 G   32768   ->"real" micro SD card
/mnt/sdcard           5.7 G  2.0 G  3.7 G   8192       -> internal DX90 drive

Mango setting and database is on /data while rockbox settings and database is in /mnt/sdcard/.rockbox

Factory reset wipes /cache and /data, i think.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,069 of 1,316
  Here are all partitions:
root@android:/ # df
Filesystem             Size   Used   Free   Blksize
/dev                  199.3M  36.0K  199.3M   4096
/mnt/asec             199.3M  0.0 K  199.3M   4096
/mnt/obb              199.3M  0.0 K  199.3M   4096
/system               511.2M  116.4M  394.8M   1024
/data                 1007.9M  33.3M  974.6M   4096
/cache                124.0M  16.1M  107.9M   4096
/mnt/external_sd      58.5G  50.1G  8.5 G   32768   ->"real" micro SD card
/mnt/sdcard           5.7 G  2.0 G  3.7 G   8192       -> internal DX90 drive

Mango setting and database is on /data while rockbox settings and database is in /mnt/sdcard/.rockbox

Factory reset wipes /cache and /data, i think.

Thanks a lot Cholero.  I thought I had replied but it seems not.  This is really useful.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,070 of 1,316
I just installed Rockbox on my new Ibasso DX90 and I love the sound vs the stock firmware. I like the stock firmware's simplicity but I really love the sound of Rockbox. Is there a way to creat od cfg file that would simplify Rockbox ? Anybody have one lol. A little confused.

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,071 of 1,316
Interesting last post by MilesR especially considering the following post that I was in the middle of drafting.

I recently downloaded the latest Lurker updated Mango firmware with loader and rockbox (dual boot) from Napka’s site here:
http://napych.com/other/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90/official-rockbox-binary-builds/  .   I may be missing something but RB isn't doing it for me at the moment and I prefer the modified Lurker Mango interface under the dual boot loader option, as it is uncluttered, simple and what I was used to with the i basso stock firmware. 

My initial thoughts on RB in particular after trying it for a while are as follows:

So many RB menus!  Not sure I really need them and getting used to navigation has taken a while but I am getting there.  I still need to read the RB manual though and appreciate that it has many impressive override options and could be attractive if certain IEM’s are used etc. where controls such as bass etc. need to be boosted. 

RB has resolved the intermittent gapless problems I was having with the version 2.3 stock firmware.  However, the modified Mango firmware from Napka also seems to have resolved this so I'm really happy.

The RB battery indicator still seems misleading, following earlier posts I have read on this thread.  I can live with this though, although it excited me when RB first  suggested I had over 9 hours!  i basso suggest 8 hours in their manual but I have hardly been getting 6 hours so far with FLAC with the stock battery which is really disappointing.

Biggest struggle was understanding the volume scale in RB.  I really like the simple appearance of the volume dial in Mango and how it increases from zero to 255 (easy).  The RB volume scale seems to work in the opposite direction and between -255 and -100 the scale is measured only with two digit numbers which doesn't seem very user friendly.  The loudest level is 0 and the minimum volume is -255, which took a bit of time to work out.  Also RB seems quite a bit quieter than Mango at the moment (might be a tweak in the settings somewhere that I haven’t found?) because I only get a reasonably good volume at approximately -51, compared to a similar volume at around 182 on Mango.  i.e. seems more headroom in the Mango volume range.  Despite this, even in Mango (stock version and Napka’s modified version 2.30 + L1) most of my FLAC files still need to be played above 180 to get a reasonable volume (unless it is a very good original source recording).  The volume only seems to really kick in above 100-120 and it seems that the first 90 or so steps even on the Mango volume scale are virtually silent on most cd FLAC rips and below this (on average) I can virtually hear nothing.  Do other people find this?  Perhaps this is just a design characteristic but then what are the first 100 or so steps there for if they don't produce a decent listenable volume?  This review seems to back this up:   http://headfonics.com/2014/07/the-dx90-by-ibasso/5/    and indicates that for a range of IEM’s, the volume was at around 195-200, leaving only 55 more step ups available to the maximum of 255 (which I accept should be more than loud enough).  I am currently using Shure SE535 IEM's.

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,073 of 1,316
@ jongroove

What I like about Mango is its easy to navigate. The down side is that It doesn't sound as good as RB.

Yes there are a ton of menus to navigate. I found a theme that spaces everything out a bit more and increases the size of the font. I found the stock menu on RB to be too tiny and found myself clicking on menus unintentionally. I spent more time stumbling around than listening to music.

I find the sound settings to be impressive, although I haven't the slightest idea what most of it means and that's the problem. I wish there was a simpler method of tuning the sound. Someone could easily hold a course on the Sound Settings alone, forget about the Playback Settings and Config file options

Sorry It sounds like I'm complaining. I'm just struggling to understand.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #1,074 of 1,316
MilesR: there is an english manual for the most similar rockbox player, cowon d2: http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-cowond2/rockbox-build.html
And no, there is no possibility to make the menu simpler. I recommend "getting used to it"
musicday
It is categorized "unstable" but only because it cannot be installed easily with the rockbox istaller. It is running stable.
Battery life should be a bit longer according to napka but rockbox does not handle >44kHz or >48kHz music directly, they are resampled and i think this eats up the battery. So with rockbox it is recommended to resample the music on the computer.
About dsd 24bit. As far as I know it is not supported.
jongroove
About the battery life: the accuracy of the remainig battery time could maybe a bit optimized because the consumption was measured for a DX50. If you need an accurate time, you could lower the battery capacity in the settings. And as above, if you want to play music with higher sample rate on rockbox only, I recommend to resample it on the computer to 44/16
About the volume: rockbox developers are technical people, they wanted a mathematically correct volume meter that is showing the attenuation in dB. The good thing about this is that all rockbox players have the same volume steps. On stronger players like ours, it would be great to have half steps like -16.5 dB but that is not easily implementable.

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #1,077 of 1,316
  Also RB seems quite a bit quieter than Mango at the moment (might be a tweak in the settings somewhere that I haven’t found?) because I only get a reasonably good volume at approximately -51, compared to a similar volume at around 182 on Mango.

That's really, really strange. I guess it's caused by settings in rockbox or mango. Volume is controlled by DAC and setting DAC volume is made by RB and Mango by writing number from 0 to 255 to a kernel device file, so volume control methods are 100% equal.

Sep 24, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #1,079 of 1,316
Thanks for all your comments. I am intrigued to explore how the RB sound using my Shure SE 535 IEM's can be better than Mango as I am loving the flat neutral sound on Lurkers modified version of Mango (no EQ or any other settings although I will check what setting I had for replaygain).

I can sympathise with many of @MilesR comments regarding menus etc. I guess the need to alter sound settings depends what headphones one is using.

Finally I know it is not directly RB related but did anyone have any thoughts regarding my point about the lower end of the volume scale generally on the DX90?

Thanks

Hi everyone

Sorry to refer to the above final question again but I would be really interested to know if anyone finds the lower end of the dx90's volume scale usable (i.e. loud enough) either on Mango or RB. Does anyone use the first 150 or so steps of the volume scale at all? Or do most people have to turn up the volume to around 190 plus to get a good volume? I know it depends on the quality/loudness of the original recording and these can vary a lot but the first 120 or so steps seem redundant as the volume is just so low. Just seems a strange design or maybe there are some very sensitive low impedance cans out there. I am using Shure SE535 IEM's which I would have thought were fairly sensitive and low impedance compared to some others. Thanks

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #1,080 of 1,316
Hello,
I bought a DX90 yesterday and the top priority was to get Rockbox onto it (after using it on my iPod 5.5, and my H340 before that, it's a must-have).
However, there are a few things I can't yet get my head around, and after a few unsuccessful search attempts, and trying to go through all 200+ pages of the DX50 + DX90 Rockbox threads, I thought I'd just ask here.

1) sometimes when navigating through the menus using the physical buttons, the ff button jumps upwards, and the rw button jumps down. This only happens maybe 1 in 5 presses? Usually if I stop and wait half a second it responds the correct way, but I was wondering if I'm alone in experiencing this (and if it may therefore be a hardware fault).

2) one handy feature on my iPod (also under Rockbox) was that when I disconnected the headphone jack, it paused the music. Does the DX90 hardware (I'm assuming it's a hardware thing) support this detection, and is it going to feature in Rockbox? I saw a brief mention of "headphones detection" on the DX50 thread on the Rockbox forums (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,48058.msg227283.html#msg227283), and was wondering if this was it.
2a) if it does support it, is it possible to automatically maximise the volume when connecting a cable to LO, but set it low when connecting a cable to the HO (I switch between car and headphone use quite frequently)?

3) I understand that I'm best off transcoding any >44kHz files down to 44kHz. What I was wondering was if I should also be dropping 24 bit files to 16?

4) is there a way to stop the touchscreen from responding to touch when it's turned off?

5) I've set the start folder for the File Browser to be the top level of the (external) SD Card, but backing out of it (to get back to the WPS) takes me through all the directories back to root before getting back to the WPS. Is there a button press or gesture that will always take me back to the WPS (on my iPod, pressing the Play button would always take you back to WPS)? Alternatively, is there a way to prevent having to navigate through all these directories?

Many thanks for your help.

FWIW, I'm using the 2015.07.01 build from Napych (http://napych.com/other/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90/official-rockbox-binary-builds/) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back