Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,052 of 1,316
For some reason I have a few albums that play as 1 long track with rockbox but on the stock player are the proper individual tracks. Is this a known problem? I must say I have not updated the software for about a year!

Did you enable CUE support in settings?

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,056 of 1,316
Hi All.

I am brand new to this forum and have only just caught up with this thread (very late!), which I came across as a result of searching for dx90 and Rockbox.  I have recently purchased the i basso DX90 and then started reading about Rockbox and how it improves functionality etc on the dx90.  I have been very pleased with the sound quality using the stock firmware, but there have been intermittent gapless issues (which i basso have told me they will be fixing in the next firmware release) and poor battery life using the battery supplied with the unit, hence I have just bought a backup Samsung S3 battery.  I am really interested in trying out Rockbox, and after quite a few emails with i basso and Advanced mp3 players who I bought the unit from, they have both confirmed that installing Rockbox won't invalidate my warranty.

However, I am not particularly adept when it comes to source code and programming etc. and installing Rockbox on my dx90 sounds like it might not be straightforward.  Hopefully I am wrong.

I have the latest i basso stock firmware version 3.0 installed.

I have just downloaded the firmware loader update.img for version 3.0 here    http://napych.com/other/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90/official-rockbox-binary-builds/

However, I then tried to download the latest Rockbox build zip file from the same page here   http://napych.com/other/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90/official-rockbox-binary-builds/ 

and for some reason it displayed a warning message (I was using Chrome as the browser) suggesting that the download was not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous. 

I have a few questions as follows:

1. Where can I find the recommended latest safe version of Rockbox for the dx90 and is the one that I tried to download from napych.com safe?

2. If I follow the Installation Steps 1 to 8 above in the post started above by Headwhacker, should it work or is there more to it?  When I go onto the Rockbox website here http://www.rockbox.org/ it suggests that the dx90 is currently an "unstable port" and "is incomplete, less usable or has problems that limit it to advanced users".  I am not confident that I am an "advanced user" to be honest.

3. Will Rockbox improve battery life?.  I am currently getting about 6 hours only on a fully charged battery (the one supplied) which is really disappointing.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,057 of 1,316
1. Google's warning is a general warning. If you know the uploader of the file there is no need to not trust him. Napka will never upload something that is intended to harm you, your computer or you DX90. Download it! Alternatively you can take the official dev build form rockbox.org, but the one from napka has some nice optimization, so better ho with his.
2. If you go with napkas firmware, follow napkas installation instruction. The older build from headwhaker are not compatible! It is not difficult! (http://napych.com/other/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90/)
3. I think not (I only have a dx50 where it seems to be the same, ~10hrs)

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,060 of 1,316
1. Google's warning is a general warning. If you know the uploader of the file there is no need to not trust him. Napka will never upload something that is intended to harm you, your computer or you DX90. Download it! Alternatively you can take the official dev build form rockbox.org, but the one from napka has some nice optimization, so better ho with his.
2. If you go with napkas firmware, follow napkas installation instruction. The older build from headwhaker are not compatible! It is not difficult! (http://napych.com/other/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90/)
3. I think not (I only have a dx50 where it seems to be the same, ~10hrs)

Thanks a lot Cholero. Just what I hoped someone would say. I'll follow those links and download it.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #1,061 of 1,316
Just got a DX90 today, and installed rockbox! Then I proceeded to successfully brick my micro SD card... So now I have to transfer a small selection of music to internal storage :frowning2:

(To be clear, I am in NO WAY implying that the cause of ruining my micro SD card is related to rockbox, AT ALL. It was just me being an idiot, or dumb luck.)

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,065 of 1,316

Does one need to do a factory reset every time (eg. From 0_0_8 to 0_1_0?

Only ask as if I dont have to spend 15 minutes re-adding my library to mango then thats awesome, but if it is required so be it :) 
Worth it regardless :)

Scott

In most cases no. But if you notice anything weird after flashing firmware regardless of the direction (whether it's an upgrade or downgrade) then a factory reset is needed.

In my case, I always do it every time I flash a firmware even if it's the same version. The reason is the /cache and /data partition may contain a file which turns into a bad state during the process.

I don't want to spend time troubleshooting, only to find out it's due to a dirty cache. The chances of this happen is high if you are working on modifying firmwares and frequently flashing firmwares like I do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi.  Very new to this forum, and recently bought a dx90.  I am also new to the concept of firmware changes so sorry if this is silly question.  Having read the question above by Wyd4 and Headwhacker's reply, I want to check that I have understood what Wyd4's concern was in his original question?  Was he concerned that if he left his SD card in the unit and then performed factory reset, this would erase all his music files from the SD card, and so he would then have to re enter them (from a backup)  onto the card again? ("re adding my library to Mango" as he says).  Or to put it another way, when I do a factory reset (as I have recently done when installing Napcha's most recent dual boot Rockbox/Mango loader) am I best advised to leave the SD card in the unit, and so all my FLAC files on it (128gb San Disk Micro SD card) are erased?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back