Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 25, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,681 of 2,020
If the guys at iBasso could make a firmware that sounded like that it would be the best thing but then again with all the extras there are in Rockbox why would you want to. if for some reason I wanted to uninstall Rockbox would I just put the standard firmware on the SD card, boot to recovery then apply then update from the card like I did when installing Rockbox?

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,682 of 2,020
exatly
deleting the .rockbox would make the deinstallation perfect but it is optional. Specially when you come back one time in the future, your settings and themes would still be there if you dont delete it.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,683 of 2,020
There is multi boot anyway so why should I. I just remember the first time I installed it, I couldn't find my music, tried to uninstall, I did eventually but it took ages and I was worried I had ruined my player. There is always rockbatchtool as well but this way seems much simpler. Also is battery life much worse using Rockbox or is it about the same. Am adding some album art for ones that aren't showing then I'm going to have a good listen this afternoon.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #1,684 of 2,020
Have anyone solved the problem with interrupting/crackling sound at the beginning of playback? I read about it several days ago, and I'm still experiencing this problem. It's not a big deal, but listening comfort would be so much better without it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #1,686 of 2,020
It's weird, because I don't have this problem on original FW.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,687 of 2,020
I know. With mango the headphone relay connects quickly after boot, with rockbox when playback is started. I think that they have made a software workaround by adding a negative dc signal to both channels, then connecting the headphones, then making a ramp signal from negative to zero, this would smoothen the pop, what actually is "charging the output coupling capacitors".
But there is a pop with mango, right after boot.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,688 of 2,020
Hi there! Could some one who has Rockbox and the original FW please give some description in the sonic differences?
Currently the latest FW is 1.8.0 on the DX 50.
Would you please describe any improvements in the Rockbox FW over 1.8.0?
My Hold button is broken, will this impede the installing of Rockbox? Thanks!
Best, Shu.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,689 of 2,020
Rockbox is essentially flat - it doesn't add any sonic coloration in it's default setting. It has a powerful EQ section though if you want that sort of thing. The stock iB software adds some slight tweaks to the midrange. Some people like this sort of thing, but most audiophiles prefer rockbox's flatness. 

As far as other improvements, there are tons, it depends on what you need/want. I like having fairly comprehensive file management tools, different themes (and fully customizable ones), the bookmarking facility. When I got started with Rockbox, maybe 10 years or so ago, it was about the only firmware that would play mp3 files gaplessly. Others like the database tools, the various sound tweaks that are available, etc. It's a fairly intricate UI, might take some getting used to - lots of people just give up on it after a few hours, when like anything complicated it takes more than that to learn how to use. If you just want to play your tunes, use the stock firmware. 

Whether or not you can install it without a hold switch - I don't think so, but maybe someone else will have a better idea. I think you at need to use the hold switch at least once to get it into rockbox bootup mode, but I could be wrong, there might be a work around. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #1,690 of 2,020
Oh, you need that hold switch. Otherwise you will be only able to boot what you select when you boot for the first time -> Rockbox forever or Mango forever. I could live with that 
biggrin.gif

I could make a different dualboot app that allows you to get to the dualboot selector by pressing play or so, but it is an annoying work to do if there is not a huge need for it.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,691 of 2,020
Oh, I see! Thank you, sduck for the detailed Rockbox explanation. What is Mango, though? Original FW? And when you say 'Rockbox forever or Mango forever', you don't really mean that I can't return to the iBasso official Firmwares, do you?
Thank you!

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,692 of 2,020
Sorry for the confusion. Of course you can always switch firmwares. It is just with the current installation that you cannot choose a second time what to boot. But wait: a factory reset will let you choose again! But that is not very comfortable neither.
Mango is the name of the official Firmware (Player Application).

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,693 of 2,020
  Oh, I see! Thank you, sduck for the detailed Rockbox explanation. What is Mango, though? Original FW? And when you say 'Rockbox forever or Mango forever', you don't really mean that I can't return to the iBasso official Firmwares, do you?
Thank you!

Without a working hold switch you'll be stuck with whatever firmware you pick the first time you start the device after installing the new dual bootloader. Cholero suggests that indeed you can still switch, by doing a factory reset, but I don't know how convenient that would be for normal use. Maybe it's time to find out about getting that switch fixed? Perhaps ibasso will repair it...

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,694 of 2,020
Only a couple of the themes I have actually show album art. The Cabbie themes all show it but none of the others, what am I doing wrong? I would have thought if they show with that one they would show with all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back