Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Mar 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #950 of 1,182

I had the same problem when using a lacie flat usb cable but never had this problem when using my external HDD usb cable so maybe the usb receiver have some problems with some cables ( i never use the stock usb cable because it was defective and it was impossible to plug  it in my laptop )
Maybe you can try an other cable before buying an usb/spdif converter.

I was wondering if the gain in sound quality will be noticeablewhen using this type of interface  because of the good jitter reduction on the D100 compared to many usb dac.
If someone have experienced this, please share you thoughts 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
So, the mailman just delivered my D100 an hour or so ago.

I was actually going to get the TubeDAC-11 suggested to me by Project86, but as I was searching on eBay I noticed a local seller with a used D100 for sale at a relatively cheap price, so I figured I might as well try it out.

I found an old adapter and plugged in my JH16s. It all sounded pretty sweet untill 2 minutes in when it suddenly jumped ALOT in volume and more or less killed my ears, then it started with that scratchy sound that you got on old TV's when nothing was on at night. Then it returned to low volume, and the process started all over.

I've tried both the "Low" and "High" headphone sockets as well as trying with 2 different adapters.

Any clues as to what could be wrong? It's plugged in via USB.

Additional info: Using an onboard soundcard at 2% or so volume and the D100 at 1-2 ticks above zero. (Seems I should be able to control the volume better than this, but it goes loud really fast?)
My motherboard is a Gigabyte 55A-UD3, not sure about the "sound card".

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #951 of 1,182
That might help, but as the same cable works fine with my Macbook Pro, I kinda assumed my desktop computer was the issue. I'll see if I can get another cable anyhow and try with that.

Any recommendations as for the usb/spdif converters?

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #953 of 1,182

Quote:

Any recommendations as for the usb/spdif converters?

There are some options for going all out but they sort of cost the same as your entire DAC. So it depends on what you'd like to spend. Anedio has the new U2, Stello has their U3, Audeophilleo model 2 is cheaper than model 1, and the list goes on. 

Or you could go with something cheaper like the stock M2Tech unit. Though people knock it compared to the modified JKenny versions, the original should still be a pretty good performer for the price. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #955 of 1,182
Does your soundcard have an optical or coax digital output (rather than using the USB)? 

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #957 of 1,182
Search didn't come up with anything helpful on this - does anyone know if the balanced xlr pinout for the D100 is pretty standard ("pin 2 hot", e.g. pin 1 ground, pin 2 signal +, pin 3 signal - ) ?

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #958 of 1,182

Quote:
Search didn't come up with anything helpful on this - does anyone know if the balanced xlr pinout for the D100 is pretty standard ("pin 2 hot", e.g. pin 1 ground, pin 2 signal +, pin 3 signal - ) ?

I believe it is "standard". Myself and user Rawrster both have used the D100 balanced out to the Violectric V200 amp and it works great. I've used the V200 with multiple other balanced sources, and never had a problem, so I'm pretty sure it is "standard". 

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #959 of 1,182
Thanks. I have some assorted pieces of gear that reverse pins 2 and 3, so I like to double check, and the manual, of course, didn't indicate one way or the other. :)

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #960 of 1,182

Quote:
Thanks. I have some assorted pieces of gear that reverse pins 2 and 3, so I like to double check, and the manual, of course, didn't indicate one way or the other. :)

No problem. Come to think of it, I remember some of my older gear having that reversed setup as well. I'm surprised I never blew anything up.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back