Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Feb 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #916 of 1,182
We all know "new" or "upgraded" doesn't always mean better.

Also, does that mean most of us own a "D100 Mark I"

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #919 of 1,182
I feel in a similar position. I have the D100 as my main dac and another dac as a backup in case anything was to happen to it. I was tempted to get another dac but it will be costly and likely in the 1k price range and above. If I was to get another dac it would have to be something that would save safe such as like say a V800 where I can just pair it with the V200 amp and call it a day.

However I'm going to keep the D100 as my main dac for a while. I haven't found the need or desire to upgrade in many months which is definitely a good thing here.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #920 of 1,182
I've got a D100 MKII coming in for review soon, to flesh out the differences between it and the original model. I don't expect major changes, and Yulong himself doesn't claim massive differences either. I think the TE7022 is being used for reliability as opposed to a sound quality upgrade, so we'll see. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #921 of 1,182
It's a good thing if yulong improve reliability and i think many headfier here hesitate to buy it because of problems encountered here by users which is quiet sad because i do find the dac section to be amazing for the price (thanks again for the great review 
wink_face.gif
 ).
I'm looking forward to reading your imressions but evaluate the reliability is rather difficult 

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #922 of 1,182

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if this DAC would be a good option to pair with a tube amp, the Little Dot MKIII?

Thanks.

I've been using the D100 with an Icon Audio HP8 (signature ed.)  valve amp, and it was performing quite well. The D100 was feed through coaxial using a M2Tech hiface. 

I am recently using a last batch audio gd DAC19, which keeping high neutrality and detail, its more on the musical than analytical side, and I think it pairs better with the Icon. Anyway, the D100 is a stunning DAC for its price, I bought after reading this review and I enjoyed it a lot.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #924 of 1,182

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, the Yulong joins the Cambridge Audio DacMagi Plus as the only budget, multi-featured digital pre-amplifiers featuring variable XLR output.

Sorry, but the D100 is not variable on the output (except for headphone amp section). The line out for both RCA and XLR is fixed volume. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #925 of 1,182
So, the mailman just delivered my D100 an hour or so ago.

I was actually going to get the TubeDAC-11 suggested to me by Project86, but as I was searching on eBay I noticed a local seller with a used D100 for sale at a relatively cheap price, so I figured I might as well try it out.

I found an old adapter and plugged in my JH16s. It all sounded pretty sweet untill 2 minutes in when it suddenly jumped ALOT in volume and more or less killed my ears, then it started with that scratchy sound that you got on old TV's when nothing was on at night. Then it returned to low volume, and the process started all over.

I've tried both the "Low" and "High" headphone sockets as well as trying with 2 different adapters.

Any clues as to what could be wrong? It's plugged in via USB.

Additional info: Using an onboard soundcard at 2% or so volume and the D100 at 1-2 ticks above zero. (Seems I should be able to control the volume better than this, but it goes loud really fast?)
My motherboard is a Gigabyte 55A-UD3, not sure about the "sound card".

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #928 of 1,182

Quote:
So, the mailman just delivered my D100 an hour or so ago.

I was actually going to get the TubeDAC-11 suggested to me by Project86, but as I was searching on eBay I noticed a local seller with a used D100 for sale at a relatively cheap price, so I figured I might as well try it out.

I found an old adapter and plugged in my JH16s. It all sounded pretty sweet untill 2 minutes in when it suddenly jumped ALOT in volume and more or less killed my ears, then it started with that scratchy sound that you got on old TV's when nothing was on at night. Then it returned to low volume, and the process started all over.

I've tried both the "Low" and "High" headphone sockets as well as trying with 2 different adapters.

Any clues as to what could be wrong? It's plugged in via USB.

Additional info: Using an onboard soundcard at 2% or so volume and the D100 at 1-2 ticks above zero. (Seems I should be able to control the volume better than this, but it goes loud really fast?)
My motherboard is a Gigabyte 55A-UD3, not sure about the "sound card".

Working just fine with my MBP, so it's definitely the other computer that's acting up. Any and all info and suggestions are appreciated.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #929 of 1,182

Quote:
Does the Mk II version have variable level analog line output over XLR?

No, I do not think so - and while less convenient for your use, line level outputs are a better standard. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #930 of 1,182

Quote:

Working just fine with my MBP, so it's definitely the other computer that's acting up. Any and all info and suggestions are appreciated.

Hard to say for sure. It could be a bad USB port, or a bad driver. What system/player/driver are you using? Did you try multiple USB ports? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back