Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Feb 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #901 of 1,182

Quote:
I'm close to springing for it, but I still wanna know how it handles the Denons. Considering it has almost 1watt for 30ohm, I assume it will have even more power for the 25ohm Denons. Worried about how much play on the volume knob I will have, as the D7000 is almost IEM sensitive and don't want a low channel imbalance.

My 32 ohm Senns do not reveal any channel imbalances.  That being said, they aren't exactly revealing (far from, ha!) but I thought commenting on this was better than nothing.  I'll give them a shot on the "high" (primary) HPO and see how much play I have on the volume knob.

I may be in possession of the Sony MDR-Z1000 soon which have a 24 ohm impedance (I believe) and should be much more revealing.  If I get them soon I'll be sure to test this out for you

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #902 of 1,182
Quote:
Thanks for the great review project 86 !!

Was looking for a dac/amp combo and was about to chosse an audio gd combo when I saw this thread and ordered a yulong D100 !
I think I will not uppragde my rig for a while, so i hesitate between a dt 880 600 ohm and the 250 Ohms one.Is the amp section strong enough to make the 600Ohm shine ? or should i go with the 250 Ohm ?

Does anyone tried the Ficher audio FA-011 on this combo

I used the FA-011 with this for a while. Sounds good except the sound was way too harsh in the treble for me. The amp is more than powerful enough to power 600 ohm headphones. I think rawrster posted comments somewhere here about the DT880/D100 combination.

Quote:
I'm close to springing for it, but I still wanna know how it handles the Denons. Considering it has almost 1watt for 30ohm, I assume it will have even more power for the 25ohm Denons. Worried about how much play on the volume knob I will have, as the D7000 is almost IEM sensitive and don't want a low channel imbalance.

I exclusively use low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs with my D100 on the 'high' jack and haven't ever heard any channel imbalance.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #905 of 1,182

Quote:

I hear inbalance on both jacks with my Fischer Audio fa-003.

Do you hear imbalance at normal listening levels? Or just down at low volumes?

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #906 of 1,182

Quote:
I purchased a Yulong D100 of a german ebay seller yesterday which includes 2 years of warranty :). So I just joined the club :D.

Welcome to the club(though I'm not a member yet
tongue_smile.gif
)!  Let us know how you like it.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #908 of 1,182
I went back and listened to a center balance test track. So there is channel imbalance in both jacks... however, I had to turn the volume knob down a lot to hear it. My hearing is bad. I think people with better ears would be able to discern imbalance at normal levels.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #909 of 1,182
I don't know, rymd. I do not detect any at normal levels - and I was led to believe that imbalance happens as a result of variation in the carbon deposits in the attenuator, not the circuit - so it is not linear, and actually does minimize as volume levels increase. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #910 of 1,182
I notice channel imbalance with my JH5 as that is my most sensitive phone. It goes away at the 3rd click when moving the volume up. This is with the lower gain and did not try the higher. I can still move it up once or twice before it gets too loud.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #912 of 1,182

Quote:
Any thoughts on using this solely with custom IEMs such as JH16?

My JH16s sound just fine in the high impedance jack on the D100. Nothing extraordinary, though quite on par with my tube amp (WA6), only complaint I have is that the D100's amp, and probably the DAC itself can get a little too bright. So I end up listening to the JH16s on the WA6, for the tube sound and the tamed highs. Anything in particular interests you?

I can't say the same for other headphones though, for example D100's amp just does not cut it for something like LCD2s.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #913 of 1,182
Feb 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #914 of 1,182

Quote:
Yulong has released a newer version of the D100 called the D100 Mark II.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YULONG-D100-ASRC-DAC-DIGITAL-ANALOG-CONVERTER-/220848377341

Changes include a Tenor TE7022L in place of the TI TAS1020B at the USB stage, and a retuned sound signature for a more refined low end.

Of course this all happens after ordering the older model which I haven't received yet.

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by "more refined" objectively.

Interesting decision to swap the USB stage... I am personally pretty happy with the current USB input and have wondered if it is better than the optical.  I'm pretty convinced I have heard subtle differences between the two, but I have not yet done any sort of blind test to confirm this.

As far as whether I prefer optical or USB with the D100 has changed a couple times... but the differences are very subtle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back