[REVIEW] Westone ES5 - Smooth meets clarity...
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #16 of 65

Quote:
I think you may have convinced me to get my first customs. They sound perfect for my tastes!

They won't disappoint.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 65
So the review was done unamped?

ES5 is very tempting to me but I did not care at all for W4 which I have heard some describe as a poor man's ES5.  Any truth to that?  I found W4 too thin sounding.

Any direct comparison to JH13?

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 65

Quote:

ES5 is very tempting to me but I did not care at all for W4 which I have heard some describe as a poor man's ES5.  Any truth to that?  I found W4 too thin sounding.

W4 is not a poor mans ES5 and the ES5 is not thin.  If you have heard the UERM, that is not thin or bass light and the ES5 is fuller and hits harder.

Then again some might hear small or no differences for various reasons.  I do hear differences and they aren't even close to the same league IMO.  ES5 is not a W4 w/ a custom shell.  

HPA has a JH13 also that he runs balanced. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 65

Quote:
How could you deal with such madness?
eek.gif

I accidentally grabbed my ES3X for the trip, so I used those (or my W4 when I wanted less isolation).

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 65

Quote:
So the review was done unamped?

Any direct comparison to JH13?

There were no external amplifiers involved.

I've also heard people say that the W4 is essentially a universal ES5. As you can see from my review, I don't find the ES5 thin at all.

As far as I remember, the JH13 Pro demo doesn't really lack in detail in comparison to the ES5. From what I remember the JH13 Pro sounding like was a very exciting yet accurate monitor. The bass was very powerful and tight especially in the sub-bass. The midrange was smooth but not as natural sounding and coherent as the ES5's midrange. The JH13 Pro's treble was also very pure and extended very far. I would be fine with either treble from the JH13 Pro or ES5. Overall, I'd still choose my ES5's because of the midrange presentation sounding more convincing. Maybe the JH13 Pro custom shell version would change the midrange sound.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 65
Excellent review Tronz. I enjoyed reading your impressions and liked the concise review!

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #28 of 65

Quote:
Tronz, so ES5 bass is about same or slightly LESS than JH13?

The JH13 Pro has more sub-bass emphasis than the ES5 while the ES5 has more mid-bass emphasis. When I listened to the JH13 Pro demo at the time, I didn't desire anymore mid-bass. I thought everything sounded spectacular and would still be fine with the JH13 Pro's sound as I remember. Listening to the ES5's now, I don't desire anymore sub-bass. In my opinion, all top tier custom IEM's will sound spectacular. You really won't notice any flaws or differences in a top tier custom IEM until you've brought another one onto the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back