Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Apr 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 3,079
About driving HE-6:

Yes, there are some reports that HE-6 needs lots of power.
As far as I know there are 2 different versions of HE-6 existing, the newer one consuming less power but not as effective as LCD-2.
In german forums, namely the open-end forum, there are some users decribing their experiences with HE-6, V181 and V200.
Most times the result is "perfect match" :wink: Nobody claimed a lacking of power from the amps.
In deed I cannot imagine that a voice coil from a headphone can withstand a rated power of more than 1 W RMS
for a longer period without getting seriously damaged.  

Greetz

Fried

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #18 of 3,079
About driving HE-6:

As far as I know there are 2 different versions of HE-6 existing, the newer one consuming less power but not as effective as LCD-2.
In german forums, namely the open-end forum, there are some users decribing their experiences with HE-6, V181 and V200.
Most times the result is "perfect match" :wink: Nobody claimed a lacking of power from the amps.
In deed I cannot imagine that a voice coil from a headphone can withstand a rated power of more than 1 W RMS

Greetz

Fried

The higher efficiency HE-6 will be released as the HE-6p. They do not sound the same from what I've heard with the HE-6 still being the Hifiman flagship.

3W into 50 ohms by the V200 should be good. I can confirm (and I guess the updated 6moons review) that the Lyr with 4W into 50 ohms is plenty of power.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #19 of 3,079

Quote:
Quote:
About driving HE-6:

Greetz

Fried

The higher efficiency HE-6 will be released as the HE-6p. They do not sound the same from what I've heard with the HE-6 still being the Hifiman flagship.

3W into 50 ohms by the V200 should be good. I can confirm (and I guess the updated 6moons review) that the Lyr with 4W into 50 ohms is plenty of power.

The v200 is very good amp indeed. At that price I cant see anything better. It got sort of warm sound that makes me feel my zd se sounds more like solid state. It drives hd650/hd 800/D7000 at ease; 1/3 of the volume will do.
Only one version for he6-so called golden coil version. He6ps are different story, it is much easier to drive, maybe as easy as lcd2. Head direct renamed he6es as HE500s. According to fang, He6s are still better, on the other hand he500s are much easier to drive.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #20 of 3,079
Sitting here and listen to the HD800 on the V200. The V200 make Leonard Cohen´s voice justice (Ten New Songs album) on the HD800. The V200 isn´t a lot of bling, but the sound / synergy with HD800; it´s just so good it´s a keeper. 

DAC used is Hegel HD10 (XLR to V200).

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 3,079
I think what Fried may have been referring to is the fact that there was an original HE-6 prototype floating about being tried by various reviewers, and it was truly a beast to power. The actual production version HE-6 is difficult but less so. The new HE-500 (formerly HE-6p) is yet another iteration, and supposedly MUCH easier still to drive.

So when you look up HE-6 amping ifo, it is hard to tell which one is being discussed.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #23 of 3,079

Quote:

The v200 is very good amp indeed. At that price I cant see anything better. It got sort of warm sound that makes me feel my zd se sounds more like solid state. It drives hd650/hd 800/D7000 at ease; 1/3 of the volume will do.

So you've got an Eddie Current Zana Deux as well as a Violectric V200? Because that's one interesting thing I've noticed: Many people who own and love the Violectric stuff seem to also have at least one other high end amp already. I think that speaks strongly for Violectric, since it isn't just new people who say something like "I love this amp! Best amp I've ever heard! Prior to this I've only owned a Cmoy though."

Quote:
Sitting here and listen to the HD800 on the V200. The V200 make Leonard Cohen´s voice justice (Ten New Songs album) on the HD800. The V200 isn´t a lot of bling, but the sound / synergy with HD800; it´s just so good it´s a keeper. 

DAC used is Hegel HD10 (XLR to V200).

Beautiful picture, as usual. 

Quote:
Received my V200 this afternoon, coincidentally.

Excellent review!

Nice! How do you like it so far? 

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #24 of 3,079
And is Mr. Duckman happy / satisfied with how the V200 portrays the music? A little bit more context would be highly appreciated. :)

Quote:
Received my V200 this afternoon, coincidentally.

Excellent review!

@ "Beautiful picture, as usual.": Thanks. :)

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 3,079

Quote:
So you've got an Eddie Current Zana Deux as well as a Violectric V200? Because that's one interesting thing I've noticed: Many people who own and love the Violectric stuff seem to also have at least one other high end amp already. I think that speaks strongly for Violectric, since it isn't just new people who say something like "I love this amp! Best amp I've ever heard! Prior to this I've only owned a Cmoy though."

Yes, I have both of them. I listened to zdse most of time before the arrival of v200. Now i am gonna stick with v200 for a while. Again, very nice sounding amp. Regardless what amp people own this one is gonna amaze them.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #26 of 3,079

Quote:

Yes, I have both of them. I listened to zdse most of time before the arrival of v200. Now i am gonna stick with v200 for a while. Again, very nice sounding amp. Regardless what amp people own this one is gonna amaze them.

No lol.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #27 of 3,079
Thanks for this great review! 

I'm currently on the market for a solid state amp that can effectively power both my HD800's and the LCD-2's, with my source being the Stello DA100 (slightly on warmer side of neutral from what I hear). Would you say V200 is likely the best SS amp choice inside my $1500 budget to amp both of those headphones? Any other competitors that I should be looking at (again, SS preferably, as I already have a tube amp).

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #28 of 3,079
Ha!

Have only listened for a few hours, but yes, so far I'm very happy with it. Works excellently with the LCD2.

Difficult to compare to previous amps (B22SE, Leben CS300XS and Lyr), because my audio memory is useless, and I haven't had them side by side. But at this early stage and with my upstream equipment (Metric Halo ULN2), I think the V200 is probably the most suitable LCD2 amp I've had (to my ears, naturally :). There would be tradeoffs of course, some amps being better in certain areas.

I'm getting a new DAC soon (Anedio D1), so hopefully that will take things to the next level.

Quote:
And is Mr. Duckman happy / satisfied with how the V200 portrays the music? A little bit more context would be highly appreciated. :)

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #29 of 3,079

Quote:
No lol.

It is only fair to point out that this poster apparently tried the V200 and was not blown away by it. He prefers his Goldpoint and Trafomatic amps, both of which are also well regarded. We all have different ears and experiences, and of course no single amp works for every person, so I have no problem with his opinion. There are multiple happy Violectric users in this thread so we were bound to have at least one person with a dissenting opinion. 

Quote:
Thanks for this great review! 

I'm currently on the market for a solid state amp that can effectively power both my HD800's and the LCD-2's, with my source being the Stello DA100 (slightly on warmer side of neutral from what I hear). Would you say V200 is likely the best SS amp choice inside my $1500 budget to amp both of those headphones? Any other competitors that I should be looking at (again, SS preferably, as I already have a tube amp).

That's what I would choose. I've owned or extensively auditioned multiple competitors like the Meier Concerto, Burson HA-160, Musical Fidelity M1-HPA, SPL Auditor, HeadAmp GS-1, and more. All had their fine points and I consider all of them to be very good amps in general, but given a choice I'd choose the Violectric V200. Obviously not everyone would make the same choice, see the post above.... I tried my best in the original post to lay out my reasoning.

Quote:
Ha!

Have only listened for a few hours, but yes, so far I'm very happy with it. Works excellently with the LCD2.

Difficult to compare to previous amps (B22SE, Leben CS300XS and Lyr), because my audio memory is useless, and I haven't had them side by side. But at this early stage and with my upstream equipment (Metric Halo ULN2), I think the V200 is probably the most suitable LCD2 amp I've had (to my ears, naturally :). There would be tradeoffs of course, some amps being better in certain areas.

I'm getting a new DAC soon (Anedio D1), so hopefully that will take things to the next level.

I don't have the LCD-2 in the chain, but I can say that the Anedio D1/Violectric V200 combo is superb. That was the combo that made me stop fussing over balanced operation and just enjoy the music. 

May 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #30 of 3,079
Thanks for two great reviews, I read them both back-to-back. I've always been interested in the Violectric amps since they were launched, but initially information about them was scarce. I'm not sure why this was; on paper they look like great performers and as you point out, they have the German pedigree. I see they've been getting a bit more attention recently, but I think your excellent reviews will really help to get the ball rolling.

I remember reading your Matrix M-Stage review too. You have a nice style with a good balance - I like your inclusion of some of the more technical details fundamental to amp performance, but you don't go overboard with it.

I would love to try the V200 some day, I bet it's a premium choice well suited to demanding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back