REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #346 of 1,290

Quote:
So for those of you who currently own the merlin, does the sound leak only at excessive volume or will it start leaking even at comfortable listening volume?
And, will a noisy environment alter the sound signature or production of the merlin?

I haven't paid attention to how much sound leaks or if any at all, but regarding the isolation, my Merlin isolates very well. I have noticed that it doesn't isolate as much as my other customs, but a noisy environment will not alter the sound signature of the Merlin. If anything, you will maybe need to turn up the volume one or two bars to block out that extra noise. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #347 of 1,290
I have had a discussion specifically regarding the issue of isolation on Merlin before, and here's what I need to clarify:
The isolation of Merlin is suppose to be the same as the other custom earphones because the vent is not connected with the bores on the ear tips where the sound goes to ears. Thus, the vent is just there for some air to flow through the dynamic driver. 

I hope this helps. 

Quote:

I haven't paid attention to how much sound leaks or if any at all, but regarding the isolation, my Merlin isolates very well. I have noticed that it doesn't isolate as much as my other customs, but a noisy environment will not alter the sound signature of the Merlin. If anything, you will maybe need to turn up the volume one or two bars to block out that extra noise. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #349 of 1,290

Quote:
Quick bass question: does the general bass volume of the Merlin exceed that of the TripleFi10 (for those with both)?

Cheers!

From hearing the demo version of the Merlin and owning a tf10, it definitely does. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #351 of 1,290

Quote:
I have had a discussion specifically regarding the issue of isolation on Merlin before, and here's what I need to clarify:
The isolation of Merlin is suppose to be the same as the other custom earphones because the vent is not connected with the bores on the ear tips where the sound goes to ears. Thus, the vent is just there for some air to flow through the dynamic driver. 

I hope this helps. 

From trying the Miracle and the Merlin demos in a 100 db noisy environment, I can confirm, that the Merlins do a very good job of isolating - they're not as good as the Miracle's, but they aren't far from it. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #352 of 1,290
I currently own the W4, and am looking for an upgrade from these, in IEM form. I was looking at the AKG K3003, when these were mentioned.

I was really opposed to the concept of getting customs for a number of reasons: the potential for refits, hassle in day to day use (lubricants/taking them in and out at work), and inability to share the glorious sound with friends.

However, seeing as the K3003 are around $1000+, the UM Merlin has come up as a serious consideration. I have some questions, however:

1) What material is the casing made out of? Do you need to use lubricant? I have never owned customs, but remember reading that they need lubrication to get them in...this seems like a huge hassle, especially for something meant to be portable. I have gotten used to whipping my W4 in and out during my daily commute/at uni/at home.

2) My ear canals are also slightly sensitive - they can sometimes get irritated with long listening sessions using the triple flanges on my W4. How do the Merlins feel for long listening periods? Do they cause irritation?

3) Has anyone tried these with Black Metal/Grindcore/Brutal death metal, particularly the poorly recorded types? The W4 are forgiving in this regard, and that's why I prefer them over other universals I have tried.

4) How is the bass speed? In particular, Raster-Noton type artists like Ryoji Ikeda, Alva Noto and Pixel, as these artists seem to be 'gold-standards' in terms of bass reproduction.

5) This is quite an ask, but if anyone has the W4 and Amarra - how do the Merlins compare un-EQed with W4 and Amarra EQ at these settings:

Would greatly appreciate any and all responses!

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #353 of 1,290
If anyone is interested, I've posted my review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596839/review-unique-melody-merlin-future-additions-future-sonics-mg6pro#post_8160469

I've also ordered a Future Sonics MG6Pro and will be adding a review of it to that thread, as well as comparisons in due time.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #354 of 1,290

Quote:
1) What material is the casing made out of? Do you need to use lubricant? I have never owned customs, but remember reading that they need lubrication to get them in...this seems like a huge hassle, especially for something meant to be portable. I have gotten used to whipping my W4 in and out during my daily commute/at uni/at home.

2) My ear canals are also slightly sensitive - they can sometimes get irritated with long listening sessions using the triple flanges on my W4. How do the Merlins feel for long listening periods? Do they cause irritation?

1) Acryllic - haven't heard of anyone needing lube, it should not be nescesarry.

2) I can't stand more than half an hour with triple or bi-flanges on my W3, but using Shure Olives, 6-8 hours is not a problem.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #355 of 1,290

Quote:
Quote:

1) Acryllic - haven't heard of anyone needing lube, it should not be nescesarry.

2) I can't stand more than half an hour with triple or bi-flanges on my W3, but using Shure Olives, 6-8 hours is not a problem.

Thanks. I can go for around 4-5 hours with the triple flanges on my W4. Bear in mind these are the smaller Earsonics triple flanges, not the bundled W4 triple flanges that I find to be a bit too big and unnatural in sound signature.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #357 of 1,290

Quote:
I was reading up K3003 reviews online. 

But just looking at the price along, I feel Merlin would be much more competitive. 

I think it is wrong for a member of the trade to speak about other products the way you have in your post -- there is an obvious conflict of interest.

People can make up your their minds about whether they should get the Merlin or the K3003. There are several reasons why some of us have decided to get the K3003 and not the Merlin.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #358 of 1,290

Quote:
Sadly this is probably my biggest complaint about UM. I'm a part of the Japan Promo back in early Nov and I'm still waiting for my Merlins. UM's great in offering a variety of options in customisation, and when you do get your IEM, if they're not faulty in anyway ('cos I sent my SE530x8 back 3 times now), they do sound great.

But wait times for making the IEMs or for waiting for repairs is unbearably slow.

So finally I got my Merlins and my repaired SE530x8 back today. So far, preliminarily the Merlins are great! This is what I thought my SE530x8 should have been but I guess you live and learn.

Scoobydoo's are Merlin's, Snoopy's are SE530x8. Prefer the Snoopy artwork but prefer the Scoobydoo SQ.

P.S. apologies about my fingerprint on Scooby.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #359 of 1,290

Quote:
So finally I got my Merlins and my repaired SE530x8 back today. So far, preliminarily the Merlins are great! This is what I thought my SE530x8 should have been but I guess you live and learn.

Scoobydoo's are Merlin's, Snoopy's are SE530x8. Prefer the Snoopy artwork but prefer the Scoobydoo SQ.

P.S. apologies about my fingerprint on Scooby.

Glad they actually made yours right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back