REVIEW: Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro & Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft
Jun 22, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #166 of 271
The highs probably has a lot to do with why it has superior sibilance control. At the same time, it doesn't have the sharpness that the UE has. For those who are sensitive to sibilance, this is a very good "feature"... not a detraction.

The highs are also about as clear as the UE, just not as sharp and not as "in your face".

As any experienced Head-Fier know, frequency response charts is not the way to buy headphones. Frequency response chart only tells a part of the story, and really only helps one to verify what a one has already heard from a particular headphone. It makes sense after you've auditioned the headphone to go back and say, "Hey, that makes sense... "...

There's absolutely no one in this world that can tell you what the sound signature of a headphone is like from a frequency response chart.

Furthermore, flat response is a good thing, but flat response alone doesn't tell the quality of the headphone in general either. A radically non-flat response may look bad on charts, but that doesn't say anything about whether or not you'll like the headphone either.

CD3000 doesn't have a flat response by any means, neither does Sennheiser HD580/600/650. I doubt Grado RS-1 has a flat response, although I think HP-1 has a pretty flat response.

Not to even throw in the possibilities of discrepancy on measuring methods...

There was a thread a while back that was titled, "What does frequency response chart mean?" or something like that.. the obvious response from most people were just what I stated above. For some reason that UE wants to make a big deal out of flat response being a holy grail of making good sound. Well, it isn't. It is only one of many approaches to good sound.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #167 of 271
I know some people don't like the frequency charts but it seems to explain a lot. If you use the etys and like the sound, it looks like the sensa are going to have the same problem as the shure e5, the high will fall off way too soon. I think this explains why lidrone might have a preference for the sensa. If you started with the shures, then the sensa, the ue10 looks like it will appear bright while it's actually flat until 16k.

When reading someones review, keep in mind their preferences, equipment, and taste in music. Also some people are more sensitive to highs than others. What some call warm or fun or more musical may sound less detailed and rolled-off to others. This is no insult to lindrone at all, I know I have different tastes than him and just want to make sure others know what they're getting into as well. If you followed his advice in the past and agreed, I'm sure this review will help you greatly. It helped me as well because the things he didn't like about the ue10s, I know I like. So it all works out in the end.

Also, you can't get a more detailed review than lindrone's. Very well done.

Oh, I'm sure I would have chimed in sooner but was on vacation.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #168 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I know some people don't like the frequency charts but it seems to explain a lot. If you use the etys and like the sound, it looks like the sensa are going to have the same problem as the shure e5, the high will fall off way too soon. I think this explains why lidrone might have a preference for the sensa. If you started with the shures, then the sensa, the ue10 looks like it will appear bright while it's actually flat until 16k.

When reading someones review, keep in mind their preferences, equipment, and taste in music. Also some people are more sensitive to highs than others. What some call warm or fun or more musical may sound less detailed and rolled-off to others. This is no insult to lindrone at all, I know I have different tastes than him and just want to make sure others know what they're getting into as well. If you followed his advice in the past and agreed, I'm sure this review will help you greatly. It helped me as well because the things he didn't like about the ue10s, I know I like. So it all works out in the end.

Also, you can't get a more detailed review than lindrone's. Very well done.

Oh, I'm sure I would have chimed in sooner but was on vacation.

Bottom line for me as well. Whatever lindrone does not like, I probably will and viceversa. His preference is clearly the Prophonics 2X. I am planning to get the UE-10 Pro.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #169 of 271
I equalised 10pro response curve to flat. But i have very unpleasant feature
cry.gif
cry.gif
my left ear perceives all sound spectrum less than my right ear.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #170 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Bottom line for me as well. Whatever lindrone does not like, I probably will and viceversa. His preference is clearly the Prophonics 2X. I am planning to get the UE-10 Pro.

You both like the V6, don't you?

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #171 of 271
Well I am very happy you have made a decision, penbat! I am sure you will be delighted.

As for me well today I was doing the cable crossover at the gym and the pully slipped from its place resting on my arm and slapped my left ear. Boy was I glad I was wearing UE's and not Shures as I am certain the stock earpieces would have been jammed clear through to the other side of my head. Since the UE's are flat and fitted, my clock was rung by my eardrumss were left intact.

Oh, by the way, the 'phones were intact as well. But it did reinforce my happiness in having spent $550 and not $900 -- had I crushed one of them I would have been twice as upset with myself.

As for frequency response -- I'm seen arguments eight ways to Sunday on this -- from the same people even. When the UE5c's slight bass boost was mentioned, it was accused of being a non-audiophile phone because a "true audiophile" as opposed to a mere "consumer" will want a flat frequency response. But when the Sensa humps are mentioned, that just adds to its audiophile phone status, apparently. Clearly, one mans hump is another man's . . . well there's just no good way out of this metaphor, is there?
rolleyes.gif
Maybe I'll try another -- every canalphone has its hump? (That's even worse.)

Whatever. Diffrent strokes for different folks. It's all good. I think we all need to get lives! (Or at least, I do!)
icon10.gif

ps: For those to whom frequency charts matter the UE5c is much closer to UE10Pro than it is to Sensa -- with no big dropoff in the highs.
Tyson -- Get the UE5c cuz they are way entertaining. Then you can be the only living soul who can compare them to the Sensas, right?
cool.gif
Aren't you getting your Sensas back soon?

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #172 of 271
Ooo -- this post takes me to a hundred! Is that cool (or pathetic) or what?
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #173 of 271
Yep, the Sensa's are going to be back in my hands tomorrow. I'm "very" finicky about the level of fit and lucky for me Sensaphonics is willing to keep working on the fit till it met my personal satisfaction. Good people to work with.

That said, I'm quite curious about the ue 5c, it looks from the FR plots that EU provides to have a nice flat mid & high range, with a big bass sound that I know I would like. Some people listen to music from the "top down", while I tend to listen from the "bottom up", so strong bass is very important to me, as long as it is very clean and precise sounding as well.

Anyway, as soon as the Sensa's are back in my hands, and I can verify that the fit is absolutely perfect, my Shure's are going up for sale, and the order for the UE's is going to be done. I won't even have to visit an audiologist because I can simply re-use the earmolds I got when buying the Sensa's.

Can anyone tell me if you can get the 5c's in different colors besides white? I'm sure it's been discussed before, but the search feature is gone.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #174 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
You both like the V6, don't you?

I don't like the V6 as well. But I love my hd650s. I'm sure lindrone and would both agree which headphones suck. I just when you get to higher end ones where its more sound signature than anything else. I also saw how our preference for amps varied. He liked the pocket reference and I prefered the xr-7. I also can underetand his reasons for not liking the sound. I listen to more alternative and jazz music, so the hd650 does this nicely. On some of the rock songs, I can see how a different headphone might work better but they work perfectly for 90% of my music. I should be coming into some money very soon which will more than cover my ue10 purchase. I still might have to wait until August to buy them.
frown.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #175 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT

Oh really? You know what, I really really really really love the UE-10.. they're the bestest in the world!!!

yeah they are!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!

Oh yeah, 2X-S is the bestest too, I love them.. yeah yeah yeah!!!

I guess you can get.. er.. Future Sonics.. or Westone.. yeah yeah yeah!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I know some people don't like the frequency charts but it seems to explain a lot. If you use the etys and like the sound, it looks like the sensa are going to have the same problem as the shure e5, the high will fall off way too soon.

That's my point though, the frequency response chart helps explain what people have heard, but it doesn't serve as a reference backwards to what it should sound like. If you know what it sounds like, frequency response chart may help you identify a few things and rationalize it. Otherwise it's meaningless.

Also, in comparison with ER-4 and E5c before (previous 2X-S review), I specially noted that the highs are pretty much just about as strong as the ER-4, of course there's more sibilance control on top of it, so it still sounds "different". At the same time, the highs have a decay that's much superior, chimes of cymbals and such instruments "vibrate"... not just "ding".

UE-10 still has an even sharper and stronger high-end than the 2X-S, at the same time it is more sibilant.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #176 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Can anyone tell me if you can get the 5c's in different colors besides white? I'm sure it's been discussed before, but the search feature is gone.

These are UE's colour choices that I was sent:

Quote:

Ultimate Ears Color Choices

Clear
White
Neon Orange
Black
Neon Purple
Dark Green
Neon Green
Pale Green
Neon Magenta
Royal Blue
Neon Pink
Turquoise
Dark Blue
Azure Blue
Gold Glitter
Purple
Silver Glitter
Lilac
Red Glitter
Strawberry
Rainbow Glitter
Red
Orange
Sunny Yellow (Brighter)
Lemon Yellow
Fleshtones: Light, Medium or Dark

Cords are available in Clear, Beige, Brown or Black

We are very pleased to offer colors at no additional charge.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #177 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Oh really? You know what, I really really really really love the UE-10.. they're the bestest in the world!!!

yeah they are!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!

Crap! I guess no canalphones for me. Just kidding. I think I like your cd3000 when played thru the HR-2. I was actaully surprised that you liked them since they seemed to be on the bright side. Anyway, the point is I can agree with you as well, even if it's for different reasons.

Jun 22, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #178 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Anyway, as soon as the Sensa's are back in my hands, and I can verify that the fit is absolutely perfect, my Shure's are going up for sale, and the order for the UE's is going to be done. I won't even have to visit an audiologist because I can simply re-use the earmolds I got when buying the Sensa's.

That would be great if we had another data point on the UE5c...especially with a Sensa comparison...but I'm glad it's your money
biggrin.gif

The 5's come in hard option only, any color you want.

Jun 22, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #179 of 271
Hi Tyson!

I hope your new Sensas will fit you to perfection!

I liked your description of two types of listeners -- top down and bottom up. That is actually very helpful, I think. I am definitely a bottom up listener. Since I am mostly into high-end speakers, where wonderful bass is a big part of what you are spending your extra money to get, the bass is the thing I miss the most when I go to 'phones. So that is what I look for first and foremost -- if that is there, big and tight and impactful and NOT muddy, I will then move on to evaluate the rest of what I hear. But if the bass is not there, I don't much care what the rest of the spectrum sounds like. Mind you, I think the entire spectrum is important -- it's just that the bassline is my bottomline, if you get my drift.

From the sound of it you will like the UE5c. Oh, and they come in any color you would like-- from solid colors to see-through colors to clear -- and you can even send them a color swatch which they will try to match.

Have fun with your Sensas when you get them back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back