REVIEW: Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro & Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft
Jun 22, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #136 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Hi Penbat,

Getting my impressions Wednesday. I know exactly what you are going through, I'm hesitant spend so much on something that I may not like, and which I can't re-sell. In view of the fact that no-one has any negative comments about the UE-10's, I'm going to get these rather than the UE5's.

My second consideration is that I'm going to upgrade my sources over the next year or two, and I do not want to have to replace the canalphones, because system improvements show up defficiencies.

I guess one way of justifying the increase is to look at the cost over say 5 years. Hell, I spend more than that on satelite TV. When you look at the cost of decent speakers, amps etc. the price of the ears is a relative bargain.

Cheers
John

Given up on Sensaphonics already eh ! LOL It isn't the cost which is my primary concern. Just that UE-10 Pros are primarily designed for musicians in recording studios. The UE-5C is specifically for the personal hi-fi market. The UE-10 has slighly prominent vocals, apparently useful in recording studios, and the UE-10 may be a little deficient in bass in general while the UE-5C has a little more bass. So just possibly the UE-5C are better suited. Also it as said that the Sensa's are based on the UE-5Pros !

One thing that pains me is that i very nearly bought UE-5Cs 9 months ago when they first came out but because of an unfortunate chain of events, such as computer breaking down etc, I ended up paying £500 for E5s instead in the UK which is about the same cost as UE-10s ! So if i get UE-5Cs I would have picked up where i should have been 9 months ago !

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #137 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by penbat
Given up on Sensaphonics already eh ! LOL It isn't the cost which is my primary concern. Just that UE-10 Pros are primarily designed for musicians in recording studios. The UE-5C is specifically for the personal hi-fi market. The UE-10 has slighly prominent vocals, apparently useful in recording studios, and the UE-10 may be a little deficient in bass in general while the UE-5C has a little more bass. So just possibly the UE-5C are better suited. Also it as said that the Sensa's are based on the UE-5Pros !

One thing that pains me is that i very nearly bought UE-5Cs 9 months ago when they first came out but because of an unfortunate chain of events, such as computer breaking down etc, I ended up paying £500 for E5s instead in the UK which is about the same cost as UE-10s ! So if i get UE-5Cs I would have picked up where i should have been 9 months ago !

You can clearly see that the UE-10 has less bass by comparing the frequency charts:

http://www.ultimateears.com/UE-5c.htm
http://www.ultimateears.com/UE-10_PRO.htm

I am wondering if it is the "2K to 4K" hump that is responsible for making vocals more forward. Apart from the "2K to 4K hump" and less bass on the UE-10 there seems to be little difference between the two models.

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:15 AM Post #138 of 271
Quote:

and the UE-10 may be a little deficient in bass in general while the UE-5C has a little more bass

penbat, ue10pro has very powerful bass, from my experience i can say it is enough of bass.

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #140 of 271
Quote:

You can clearly see that the UE-10 has less bass by comparing the frequency charts

Less bass, but by no means lesser bass. UE-10 have more headroom for bass, thanks to the dual bass driver design. Check #4 in this post.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:06 AM Post #141 of 271
Quote:

I am wondering if it is the "2K to 4K" hump that is responsible for making vocals more forward. Apart from the "2K to 4K hump" and less bass on the UE-10 there seems to be little difference between the two models.

Yes the mild hump is responsible for the forward mids in the 10 Pro. The stock 5C does not have a hump. However, the UE-5C can be configured to sound like the UE-5 Pro. The UE-5 Pro has a very pronounced mid hump.

Some people like the hump, some others do not.

The UE-5C supposedly has stronger bass than the UE-10 Pro. However, the 10 Pro provides more headroom to low frequencies (bass).

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #142 of 271
I am just thinking that unless we have UE-5C v UE-10 head-to-head reviews then it is difficult for anyone to be sure which to get. Randon Person likes the UE-5C. Wolfen has ordered UE-5Cs, but neither have 1st hand experience of UE-10s to compare them with and who knows maybe they may like the UE-10s as much.

Gorman, Lindrone & Welly Wu may be very knowledgable about UE-10 but they don't have 1st hand experience of UE-5C. Wolfen's forthcoming review of UE-5Cs although useful will probably not be conclusive as it is not a head-to-head review.

I am seriously tempted to go for the UE-10s to avoid any further delay and i can't see that a proper "UE-5C v UE-10 head-to-head" review will happen any time soon.

It is a pity that Dennis Lloyd on IpodLounge didn't do a head-to-head as he apparently has both and prefers the UE-10.

Mindy told me that both would be fine with the Ipod and it is down to personal preference.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #143 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotslashconfig
Can you provide a link to those comments, please? That sounds very out of character for Lindrone.

Lindrone *never* directly labeled the 2X-S as "superior" to the UE-10. He characterized the two products as being *different*. While Lindrone preferred the 2X-S (the 2X-S fit/feel was better for him personally), he was in no way saying that the UE product was "inferior", as you claim. Also, the UE-10 Pro has a perfectly flat frequency response? From what I gather, both IEMs have an impact on the sound - it's just a matter of preference as to which coloration you prefer.

HRA -
Did you even read the review?

EDIT: HRA - I just heard about one of your other usernames. It disgusts me that you'd have the audacity to critique anyone, considering the overwhelming moral gray areas you've found yourself a party to... Credibility? You're one to talk.

I'm not sure you're worth a pence of my time but what I am referring to was not in this review. As far as the "other" name you refer to that was already asked and answered.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #144 of 271
So does anyone want this frequency response chart done yesterday comparing the 2X to the UE10. If so, send me a PM and I'll have it emailed to someone who can post it on this thread as I don't have the intelliegence to figure out how to do it
280smile.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:54 AM Post #145 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
I'll do my own EQ thank you very much....Cheers.

That's the point.
To me "High-end" translates to "as accurate as possible".
If I want coloration I can always add a tube amp or use an equalizer.
Manufacturers shouldn't decide which coloration is the best for me.
It's a mess attempting counterequalization if decent audio gear is preequalized,
think.......Bose.

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #146 of 271
I have just emailed Mindy to confirm that i am having the UE-10. It is very stressful having my brain continually twisted in different directions and now that they have my impressions, any more time i spend deliberating will cause delay.

I think it is a balanced judgement, considering that not all the information i could have done with is likely to be available for some time. I suspect my Superdual amp would give the UE-10 more kick and it also has a bass-boost switch. I suspect that the UE-5C is an attempt to work well with unamplified Ipods but not necessarily amplified Ipods.

Jun 22, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #147 of 271
Quote:

I have just emailed Mindy to confirm that i am having the UE-10. It is very stressful having my brain continually twisted in different directions and now that they have my impressions, any more time i spend deliberating will cause delay.

I think it is a balanced judgement, considering that not all the information i could have done with is likely to be available for some time. I suspect my Superdual amp would give the UE-10 more kick and it also has a bass-boost switch. I suspect that the UE-5C is an attempt to work well with unamplified Ipods but not necessarily amplified Ipods.

By application, all IEMs, specially the ones that UE makes are intended to work well without headphone amps. The 10 Pro does not need an amp.

If you want strong bass with some mid hump (like the Shure E5), why not go with the UE-5 Pro?

Nevertheless, good choice for the 10 Pro.

Jun 22, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #148 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
By application, all IEMs, specially the ones that UE makes are intended to work well without headphone amps. The 10 Pro does not need an amp.

If you want strong bass with some mid hump (like the Shure E5), why not go with the UE-5 Pro?

Nevertheless, good choice for the 10 Pro.

I don't have to use the Superdual but it is there if it proves useful. Also the bass boost on the SD is optional so i could use the Superdual without the bass boost.

Jun 22, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #150 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
Penbat,

OK I'm gonna follow your lead. Now I'm completely convinced, since you have been converted.

Cheers
John

I am not 100% convinced or converted. But as UE now have my impressions and from now onwards any deliberating will delay the order and as i have been wracking my brains over this already for the last week or two and conclusive information to help me decide is unlikely to be available soon, i have decided not to dither any longer.

You have until UE actually receive your impressions for you to change your mind without causing delay so you may as well get your impressions sent and make a provisional order for whatever you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back