REVIEW: Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro & Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft
Jun 22, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #151 of 271
I was riding the fence between the UE5C and UE10's, and I was leaning toward the UE5C, but now I think the 10's are the way to go. You'll be able to increase the bass in the 10's if need be with an equalizer (and they may not need any tweaking here), but you cannot increase the deeper bass extension/increased soundstage provided by the third driver, (which to many translate to "warmth") of the lower frequencies on the UE5C. I'm also an Ety user, and my inclination from what I've read is that I'll probably be happier with the UE10's performance. Decisions, decisions....

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #152 of 271
The increased bass extension on the UE-10 doesn't translate into "soundstage"... well, actually overall UE-10's forward vocals makes all the soundstage seem smaller.

There is most definitely also no "warmth" in that slight bit of additional bass either. Sound signature is't changed by extension, warmth is added by the way the notes are presented, not how deeply a headphone can create a note.

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #153 of 271
Ok, so I've never heard either of these, but I would agree with that definition of warmth.

I think the sensas would be my first choice, given the comfort issues and how sensitive my skin is (even the skin around my ears)...a nice sound would just be a bonus.
wink.gif

But as they don't answer emails, it's not the most internationally friendly company despite their "international network of audiologists". Each company has their good and bad points.

But if I can't get the Sensas it's nice to "fall back" on the UEs.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #155 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I am posting this for HRA because he doesn't have anywhere to host pictures and the website will not upload them. This will be a bone of contention so please post all questions/complaints to him. Thanks.
icon10.gif

x2%20red%20%20vs%20UE10PRO%20orange%202.jpg

Ohh look at the flat response of the UE-10 Pro
etysmile.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #156 of 271
Big D - Thanks for posting HRA's frequency plot. Can you please confirm which frequency response corresponds to which phone? The legend on the bottom states:

RED - Sensaphonic X2
Orange - UE10PRO

It appears to me in my browser that Orange is the top curve and Red is the bottom curve - correct? So Sensaphonics have the pronounced hump around 2KHz?

Thanks to HRA for passing along this info.

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #157 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
Big D - Thanks for posting HRA's frequency plot. Can you please confirm which frequency response corresponds to which phone? The legend on the bottom states:

RED - Sensaphonic X2
Orange - UE10PRO

It appears to me in my browser that Orange is the top curve and Red is the bottom curve - correct? So Sensaphonics have the pronounced hump around 2KHz?

top= UE-10 Pro
bottom= Prophonics 2X

Prophonics: looks like two humps one on 2kHz and the other on 3kHz. That's gotta sound weird.
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #158 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors

RED - Sensaphonic X2
Orange - UE10PRO

Thanks to HRA for passing along this info.

Yeah Orange is top.

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #159 of 271
I have to say that on my 2xS I do not hear that hump "at all". A bump in that range would drive me absolutely insane (I know from previous experience). To me the 2XS that I have is a slightly elevated bass response, and pretty much flat from about 500hz out to around 16 khz.

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #160 of 271
Hi Penbat,

Seems my experiences are the same as yours. Sensaphonics, no response to e-mails. Ultimate Ears, Mindy responded within hours - obviously time zones apply.

Impressions and confirmation order being sent tomorrow for UE-10 pros.

Regards
John

Jun 22, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #161 of 271
On a second note, I think I'm probably going to order the UE-5C, which looks like it would be a "fun" headphone, what with it's seriously elevated bass response. Just gotta get my Shure E5's sold.

Jun 22, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #164 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOT
Looks like sensas have ugly frequency response.

Actually they have a more desirable frequency response in the lower range. It appears like the Sensas are designed to bring forward the 2-6k mids...which I dont mind. Its the recessed highs which I find suspicious. Where was the testing done? Who did the tests?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back