REVIEW: The Sennheiser HD 215 (the HD 205's bigger brother)
Aug 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 195
Perhaps one of the BEST more detailed reviews I've seen for a long time. It's perhaps as good or better than most pro reviews. Thank you for taking the time to write it and share it with us.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #17 of 195
I had originally intended to save my 1000th post for a review of my own, but after reading this, I couldn't help but comment. Very well-written, organized, and detailed review, with a good dose of humor thrown in for good measure. Can't believe this is your first, and I'll keep an eye out for your future reviews.
Cheers! :beerchug:

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 195
Quote:
Just focus on my new reviews, I write it and done....bam...done.

I personally don't have the patience or organization to put a review such as this together.

No, it's more like you have a life, LOL! 
biggrin.gif
  I've heard about having a life, sometimes I think I might even want one of my own, but what if it's overrated?  Maybe I should get one for a while and then review it.

Quote:
Perhaps one of the BEST more detailed reviews I've seen for a long time. It's perhaps as good or better than most pro reviews. Thank you for taking the time to write it and share it with us.

Quote:
I had originally intended to save my 1000th post for a review of my own, but after reading this, I couldn't help but comment. Very well-written, organized, and detailed review, with a good dose of humor thrown in for good measure. Can't believe this is your first, and I'll keep an eye out for your future reviews.
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Wow.

And now, after having written that whole review, I'm now at a loss for words.  All I can say is that I hope I'll only get better over time.  Seriously, thanks for the incredibly kind words HiFiGuy528 and kjk1281 (and thanks for the dedication of that milestone).  BTW, gimme a link to your review when it's up so I can check it out!

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #20 of 195
Quote:

No, it's more like you have a life, LOL! 
biggrin.gif
  I've heard about having a life, sometimes I think I might even want one of my own, but what if it's overrated?  Maybe I should get one for a while and then review it.

Wow.

And now, after having written that whole review, I'm now at a loss for words.  All I can say is that I hope I'll only get better over time.  Seriously, thanks for the incredibly kind words HiFiGuy528 and kjk1281 (and thanks for the dedication of that milestone).  BTW, gimme a link to your review when it's up so I can check it out!

I don't have a life, I just spend my time elsewhere on head fi :/

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #22 of 195
Quote:
I hope Sennheiser will let you keep the review unit as a token of Thank You for writing perhaps the best review on the web on this model.

There's only....2-3 full reviews. Mine, his and probably somebody elses if I remember that are "full reviews". The ones from 2005 are more or less feedback.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #23 of 195
Quote:
I hope Sennheiser will let you keep the review unit as a token of Thank You for writing perhaps the best review on the web on this model.

Haha, no kidding.

Quote:
I personally don't have the patience or organization to put a review such as this together.

Same. Kudos to those that do!

Quote:

Agreed. I thought he was reviewing some new flagship for a second.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #24 of 195
Quote:
I don't have a life, I just spend my time elsewhere on head fi :/

LOL, same difference!

Quote:
Quote:

Haha, no kidding.

Somehow I doubt that will happen though.  The deal that we all got was that we'd borrow them for a few weeks and then return them - whether we reviewed them or not.  And a deal is a deal right?  Plus, if they did let me keep them, it just wouldn't be fair to everyone else that returned them.  That having been said...

I can't possibly imagine what they would do with the returned unit.  It's not exactly in saleable condition.  When I'm given something to review, I will thoroughly evaluate it.  So, I evaluated it every which way from multiple positions, evaluating it all night long, for weeks on end. 
blink.gif
  And while the unit is still functional, it ain't never gonna be the same for the next guy, and it will forevermore dream of the time it spent with me. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 195
Quote:

LOL, same difference!

Somehow I doubt that will happen though.  The deal that we all got was that we'd borrow them for a few weeks and then return them - whether we reviewed them or not.  And a deal is a deal right?  Plus, if they did let me keep them, it just wouldn't be fair to everyone else that returned them.  That having been said...

I can't possibly imagine what they would do with the returned unit.  It's not exactly in saleable condition.  When I'm given something to review, I will thoroughly evaluate it.  So, I evaluated it every which way from multiple positions, evaluating it all night long, for weeks on end. 
blink.gif
  And while the unit is still functional, it ain't never gonna be the same for the next guy, and it will forevermore dream of the time it spent with me. 
biggrin.gif

So how did you go about doing this? I'd love to be able to demo their IE800s and would gladly do a review to do so.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #26 of 195
Aug 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #27 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
So how did you go about doing this? I'd love to be able to demo their IE800s and would gladly do a review to do so.

IT's a lot easier..and a lot more random than you might think.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619042/us-residents-want-to-borrow-some-sennheiser-headphones-for-a-few-weeks

Yup, all it took was a well-timed PM, and then it happened.  Sounds like they're building a list of all the members that PMmed, and trying to give equal coverage to the entire community, so I doubt I'll be chosen the next time around.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 195
Wow, excellent review! You did a fantastic job. I agree with the other posters in that it is as good if not better than most pro reviews. I didn't know you were into DJ cans. I'm reviewing the Ultrasone DJ1 and Superlux HD631 for my next roundup.

Seems like Tanto Tempo would be the last thing you would pick for auditioning DJ headphones but I bet it was revealing. That song in particular is as "audiophile" a recording as I've heard. The engineer did a masterful job.

Keep up the good work, hope to see more like this!

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #29 of 195
Quote:
Seems like Tanto Tempo would be the last thing you would pick for auditioning DJ headphones but I bet it was revealing. That song in particular is as "audiophile" a recording as I've heard. The engineer did a masterful job.

It's now part of my standard evaluation repertoire.  Thanks for the heads up on it!  I honestly could not think a better test for mid-range detailing and resolution than that.  I mean, just off the top of your head, can you? 

Quote:
Wow, excellent review! You did a fantastic job. I agree with the other posters in that it is as good if not better than most pro reviews. I didn't know you were into DJ cans. I'm reviewing the Ultrasone DJ1 and Superlux HD631 for my next roundup.

Keep up the good work, hope to see more like this!

Thank you sir for the kind words. 
smile.gif
  I don't think I could ever do a multi-unit shoot-out though... there'd just be too much to cover, and I'd be all over the place.

I'm actually not that into DJ cans, at least not anymore.  I used to be, once upon a time, a long time ago.  But in recent years they've all become bassy messes of bassy mess.  That's part of the reason why i found the HD 215 to be so refreshing.

Wait, HD631?  I thought it was the HD661?  Not to rush, but I'm actually eagerly awaiting that shoot-out.  I read somewhere (probably here @ Head-Fi), that the HD661 was Superlux's version of Sony's 7506. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #30 of 195
Hi,

Nice review. From looking at the sound you described, these sound a lot like my old HD485's. Those were good headphones and were warm and slightly bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back