Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
May 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #766 of 2,566
Quote:
Nice impression spkrs01. For me the best synergy for the SE5 is with the Tera Player.

Thank you!

I enjoy it with the Tera Player - beautiful, but....it is small sounding, particularly the narrowness of the soundstage and that is my problem with the combination..........

May 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #767 of 2,566
Exactly how I tell people about SE5 :D. Perfect monitoring iem, super accurate.

I sold my RWAK100 because it sounded lifeless compared to TP. Dynamic was pretty much close to none. But soundstage is great and completely black, no hiss at all.

Maybe what iRiver told us was true? Do you have the RWAK100 to try to compare with the original AK100? I'm curious about it.

A few listening notes after nearly a week....

- Surprisingly, isolation is not much better, perhaps even the same as other CIEMs that I have, and far behind the FitEar MH335DW
- Comfort is the best!!!

- So far, for me, the best synergy for a portable solution is the AK100, the AK100 innately has a very wide soundstage, which in turns opens up the sound space very nicely letting everything within breathe resulting in a very wide and deep soundstage

- Very accurate and precise, true to source. More Studio Monitor than Audiophile in portraying music. But when the recording is excellent, you are left stunned at the capabilities of the SE5. However, even on relatively good recordings the SE5 takes it apart, and flaws are brought to the fore.

Definitely a top-tier product, and with the best recordings when everything clicks into place, the SE5 is excellence personified.

May 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #768 of 2,566
Quote:
Exactly how I tell people about SE5
biggrin.gif
. Perfect monitoring iem, super accurate.

I sold my RWAK100 because it sounded lifeless compared to TP. Dynamic was pretty much close to none. But soundstage is great and completely black, no hiss at all.

Maybe what iRiver told us was true? Do you have the RWAK100 to try to compare with the original AK100? I'm curious about it.

I do actually!!!

Get back here in a few hours..............................

May 3, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #769 of 2,566
Quote:

Okay, here goes..........Listened to a few songs and very briefly:-

Both the AK100/RWA has the same volume output(?).....The AK100 is more refined sounding with a much larger, airier sounding space. Vocals are more delicate and fleshed out with better retrieval of micro details/ nuances. The RWA is more full on, thicker sounding with the soundstage depth compressed forward, making it sounding rather flat. Width on both is literally the same. Neither player is going to give you the crash, bang wallop....but dynamic contrast, again for me, the AK100 takes it comfortably.

It is a matter of synergy and I think the 133 impedance (?) of the SE5 is in play here........... 

The Tera Player is on permanent source duty for the RSA SR-71B
size]

May 3, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #770 of 2,566
Yes, quite sure the SE5 impedance plays a big role. Damn, that is why I hated the RWA sound with my SE5.
In theory the AK100 output impedance smoothen/slowing the rising and falling edge of a waveform by limiting the current needed to drive the load. I'm pretty much sure that the RWA is faster than the original AK and will work better with low impedance IEM.. unfortunately not with SE5.
The SE5 doesn't need a lot of current but do need big voltage swing to drive them properly, that is why tupac get better result with high gain on 901. 
Quote:

Okay, here goes..........Listened to a few songs and very briefly:-

Both the AK100/RWA has the same volume output(?).....The AK100 is more refined sounding with a much larger, airier sounding space. Vocals are more delicate and fleshed out with better retrieval of micro details/ nuances. The RWA is more full on, thicker sounding with the soundstage depth compressed forward, making it sounding rather flat. Width on both is literally the same. Neither player is going to give you the crash, bang wallop....but dynamic contrast, again for me, the AK100 takes it comfortably.

It is a matter of synergy and I think the 133 impedance (?) of the SE5 is in play here........... 

The Tera Player is on permanent source duty for the RSA SR-71B
size]

May 3, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #771 of 2,566
Quote:
A few listening notes after nearly a week....

- Surprisingly, isolation is not much better, perhaps even the same as other CIEMs that I have, and far behind the FitEar MH335DW
- Comfort is the best!!!
- So far, for me, the best synergy for a portable solution is the AK100, the AK100 innately has a very wide soundstage, which in turns opens up the sound space very nicely letting everything within breathe resulting in a very wide and deep soundstage
- Very accurate and precise, true to source. More Studio Monitor than Audiophile in portraying music. But when the recording is excellent, you are left stunned at the capabilities of the SE5. However, even on relatively good recordings the SE5 takes it apart, and flaws are brought to the fore.

Definitely a top-tier product, and with the best recordings when everything clicks into place, the SE5 is excellence personified.

Interesting Gavin.
I am somewhat surprised how AK100 can pair SE5 so well. So what is the very spacious dx100 lacking compared to ak100? Does it take the presentation to a slightly analytical side? 

May 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #773 of 2,566
So thinking I am not realizing the potential of the SE5 for portable usage enough...I bought an ALO RX3 just now as I intend to go balanced at a later stage.

Will see how it goes......

May 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #774 of 2,566
Interesting Gavin.
I am somewhat surprised how AK100 can pair SE5 so well. So what is the very spacious dx100 lacking compared to ak100? Does it take the presentation to a slightly analytical side? 

I will get back to you over the next few days....via PM

May 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #775 of 2,566
Balanced amp is a hit and miss when paired with complex crossover. Let us know how it goes :). My Westone ES5 got a slight improvement going balance but I know some people who don't like going balance with their IEM.

May 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #776 of 2,566
Quote:
Balanced amp is a hit and miss when paired with complex crossover. Let us know how it goes :). My Westone ES5 got a slight improvement going balance but I know some people who don't like going balance with their IEM.

I listened extensively with the RX3 and SE5, single ended and must say with both the Tera and the AK100, the SE5 sounded as if it is scaling up quite nicely!

Can't wait for my black AK100 to come back.....................

This is a little aesthetically .....ugly LOL

May 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #777 of 2,566
Quote:

In my limited experience with balanced a balanced source, I agree.  Here are the SE5 results from my unpublished comparison of the balanced 801 card and GAME card.  Depending on the CIEM I used, the balanced amp ranked anywhere from 1st to 3rd compared with the Anedio D1 and GAME card.  I worked it where I compared the D1 with the GAME card and then with the balanced card since I couldn't A/B the two amp cards.  Not the best, plus I am not sure how great the balanced card of the 801 is compared with other balanced sources, so I never published it.

Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference – D1 vs. Balanced 801 is very close, with the D1 having a bit better clarity.  I didn’t hear much difference between instrument placement or size of the soundstage, and other than a bit thicker presentation of the 801, the D1 had a bit better articulation of background sounds.  Comparing the D1 with the 801 with the GAME card was also close, with the brighter D1 having larger difference to the clarity and note articulation increase.  The D1 was superior in depth of the presentation as well as the overall size.  Bass of the D1 conveyed more power in the lowest registers than either option with the 801.
1st: D1, 2nd: balanced 801, 3rd: 801 with GAME card

May 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #778 of 2,566
Looks good! Have you tried the VorzAmp? It sounds really really good with SE5. And form factor is also better than the RX3 :).
Quote:

I listened extensively with the RX3 and SE5, single ended and must say with both the Tera and the AK100, the SE5 sounded as if it is scaling up quite nicely!

Can't wait for my black AK100 to come back.....................

This is a little aesthetically .....ugly LOL

May 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #779 of 2,566
Quote:
Looks good! Have you tried the VorzAmp? It sounds really really good with SE5. And form factor is also better than the RX3 :).

Yes I have tried...

I mentioned on the Tera Player thread. My friend bought it for his Tera Player!

The synergy is quite nice. The VorzAmp, he bought the pure which is big and bold sounding, so the synergy is actually very nice with the Tera!

May 4, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #780 of 2,566
Hello all, after a few days with my SE5 I want to thank Joe for this review. I had always been attracted to them but might not have made the investment without his comparisons. For a few months I have trusted him without having a clue...of course other trusted headfiers loved the se5. A few people on this thread made claims concerning the se5, intimating they were overhyped. Well let me tell you this: I own or have tried many top iems and the SE5 deserve all the praise and more. With the correct source and fit, the se5 are a top tier performer among the best I have heard easily. They are not dark sounding, they are not small or congested. They are fluid and detailed with amazing bass, and have an unparalled naturalness. So the detractors either have : a bad source, a bad fit, a problem with their ears or an ulterior motive. Thanks Grzegorz and Thanks Joe. As a side note, I have no conflict of interest, I bought se5 and se3 at full price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back