Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Nov 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,606 of 2,566
  Rocoo will have hiss on most of the CIEMs, with SE5, it should be ok, but still there will be a small amount of hiss. Rocoo BA is designed for BA CIEMs, so there should be no hiss. With SE5, there is no hiss, with 1+2 or JH13 I can still hear very little hiss, which is fine to ignore.
Pairs really good:wink: The treble is a little bit on the brighter side. But I think I got used to it:wink: 

I have to agree Rocoo BA is black pretty much on the SE5 and Flat 4 Sui. On the 1Plus2 there is a very slight hiss but you will not hear this hiss on quiet passages in songs or when music is playing at all so it is a non-issue. It's something you will have to really listen for and making an issue over something that you have to strain to hear is just looking for trouble :wink:. On the 3rd ANV there is some slight hiss on the SE5. Pretty much a non-issue as well as it is relatively low. But the BA is black as tupac said. If I do longer sessions I tend to turn the volume down to around 12 and that gives me comfortable volume listening with all the detail. On songs that are more dynamic I'll turn it up to 14 or a bit higher.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,609 of 2,566
IEM wise, i have been using the Etymotic ER4, & Hifiman Re 400's when going to sleep at night, mainly cos there easy on the ears.
 Giving the Customs a bit of a break for a while.
Really digging the Ety's amped with the Quickstep at the moment.
How are your SE5's going mate, you also have the 1 plus2.....Great quality there ....

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,610 of 2,566
  IEM wise, i have been using the Etymotic ER4, & Hifiman Re 400's when going to sleep at night, mainly cos there easy on the ears.
 Giving the Customs a bit of a break for a while.
Really digging the Ety's amped with the Quickstep at the moment.
How are your SE5's going mate, you also have the 1 plus2.....Great quality there ....

Really enjoying the SE5s sound. Listen to them a lot with the Rocoo BA and 3rd ANV at times. Perfect pairing pretty much. The comfort is also pretty good now that I've gotten use to them. About the same as with the 8A if not just a bit more uncomfortable on the left side. But based on sound much better :). With the SE5, 1Plus2 and Flat 4 Sui I never get bored and honestly don't crave anything else at this point :). Already felt that way with just the 1Plus2 and Flat 4 Sui. But the SE5 added another flavor to the mix which I also very much enjoy :). Did you sell your miracle and merlin? Anything else to replace those two?

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,611 of 2,566
Those DAP's a bit on the hot side of neutral, so the SE5s should be great match indeed.
I decided not to sell my customs at this stage, we are in a bit of a tight fix financially, at the moment.
Have to be Happy with what I have now, which isnt too bad really.
One day I would like to add the SE5s & 1+2, but when that will be who knows?
I also have my 2 channel Hifi speaker system which gets the greater amount of use I must admit.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,612 of 2,566
I can totally relate. That is another reason why I am not purchasing anything else. Although I am honestly quite satisfied with what I have but I couldn't afford to anyways if I wanted to :p. Have to focus on bills for now. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,617 of 2,566
What portable Android DAC/amp would be a good fit with the SE5? The FiiO e18 and most or all of the current (and forthcoming?) Leckerton's do talk USB OTG to many Android phones/tablets. But coming back the other direction, in a perfect world I'd also want it to sound great with the SE5. 

There is a list of phones that offer USB OTG, and DACs that interoperate here http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3510 The final factor is, which of those DAC/amps will do justice to the SE5.

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,618 of 2,566
I'd say look into the UHA6 MKII. Better yet wait for their new flagship and opt for that. You can't go wrong with Leckerton. They make very good amp sections that hit well above their asking price range :).

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,619 of 2,566
Thanks lee730, that is not a bad idea. Average Joe did review the Leckerton UHA6 MKII. It sounded like a competent amp for the money, and it is Android compatible, but his review further down in the following thread, well it didn't sound like it knocked it out of the park or was in the same league as the SE5. http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-16-amps-reviewed-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-added

Yeah the new Leckerton UHA760 Upsampling USB DAC/Amp with Digital Volume Control and Crossfeed at Introductory Price: $379 (Regular $439) and Now available for pre-order. It should surely maintain Android compatibility and should surely sound great. Not sure when it will get released or reviewed.

I have the DACport LX and its supposed to be 'da schiznit, but its not Android compatible and last time I asked they didn't seem to care. Plus the thing gets hotter than a soldering iron. Sounds good though. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #1,620 of 2,566
Um I am pretty sure you can run the DACport LX via android with that one app. I mean talk with turokrocks, he did it and I remember him even posting it on headfi.

http://www.head-fi.org/u/265536/turokrocks

Regarding the UHA6MKII not being up to par for the SE5... Well I'm not totally sure on that. I can agree it can definitely scale quite a bit higher. But these are amps that are getting into the $1000 range here mind you. I'm not sure if you want to spend that kind of money and forgo portability.... If he is making comments in reference to such amps then I can agree with him. Otherwise I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back