Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Dec 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,636 of 2,566
I ordered the SE 5-way last month. Grzegorz told me that they will ship at the beginning of the next year. I cant wait to listen to them. My first silicone ciem coming from the JH16pro FP.
Did anyone of you guys had fit issues with the SE 5-way ? Maybe something like pain in your ears ? I don't have any pain when using my JH16. Hopefully it will be the same or even better with the SE 5-way..
Well most people like the comfort, except for Lee and his mutant ears :wink:

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,637 of 2,566
Well most people like the comfort, except for Lee and his mutant ears
wink.gif

caused by universals IEM tips 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,638 of 2,566
@flace congrats to your decision, you won't regret the purchase, trust me. I only had a little pain on the outside of one of my ear once, that's all. The only thing may annoy some people is that they need to be cleaned quite often. I especially like how it can really belt out the bass without covering the other instruments/frequencies on one recording, and sound treble-forward on others without being harsh at all(and I'm sensitive to harsh treble).

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,642 of 2,566
Do you mean you were 'beating out a rhythm' to the music..?   :ph34r:  

Oh, there was no beating from my end. Not sure about team Hawaii though. Lee also collects Hawaiian hippy music. Ask him for free sample sometime.

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,644 of 2,566
  I ordered the SE 5-way last month. Grzegorz told me that they will ship at the beginning of the next year. I cant wait to listen to them. My first silicone ciem coming from the JH16pro FP.
Did anyone of you guys had fit issues with the SE 5-way ? Maybe something like pain in your ears ? I don't have any pain when using my JH16. Hopefully it will be the same or even better with the SE 5-way..

Once you got how to insert them properly, no pain or comfort issue at all, just pure pleasure.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,645 of 2,566
Thank you guys for your replies. I hope they will fit and wont cause any pain. Im pretty sure that they will be awesome !!
I'll keep you guys up to date, once they are delivered.The worst time is the waiting time but I have my JH16FP :), so it won't be boring. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,646 of 2,566
Guys, what standalone DACs, portable or desktop, bring out all the SE5 is capable of?

Anedio D1 or D2?
DACport LX?
ODAC (DAC only, skip the amp)

What else goes on our short list? I was going to take it and feed it into my Tralucent T1 amp, then into my SE5's.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #1,647 of 2,566

Lee this is helpful but it presents a new problem. CEntrance doesn't seem to care about supporting USB OTG, despite my bringing the issue to their attention nearly a year ago. I do have a Note 2. I guess I can just use UARP or the upcoming UAPP software and it over-rides the DACport ignorance. Or I can look into rooting and using a kernel mod on my Note 2.

The good news is I now realize I don't need a DAC/amp that both talks USB OTG and drives the SE5 load. I can decouple them and feel fine about driving my SE5 with the Tralucent T1. Thus I just need a good DAC (or possibly DAC with line out that bypasses its amp), be it portable or desktop. Unfortunately (maybe fortunate for my budget) the Anedio appear to not handle USB OTG either. I have been active here http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison/ where they plan to evaluate mid-level DACs.

So my questions are now:

- When you were unhappy with your ODAC, isn't it possible that the O2 amp was to blame, not the ODAC DAC half. As average_joe states "Performance of the ODAC is exceptional for the price, besting the built-in DACs in the portable DAC/amps I have and performing closer than anticipated to the Anedio D1 DAC.   The integrated ODAC + O2 combo I simulated is an excellent sounding and performing desktop only solution that can drive just about anything you throw at it.  Even though the amp section hold the DAC back a bit, it is still a great value."
- What other DACs (or possibly DAC with line out that bypasses its amp) can do the SE5 justice (I'll then couple the line-out into the Tralucent T1 as the amp)
- Would you say the DAC or the amp is the more critical part of getting the all out of the SE5
- Isn't it fair to say that the challenge is simply that the SE5 is very accurate, so the DAC had better be accurate, or the SE5 will reveal any of its colorations

The SE5 is very much colored itself. It does have a sound signature that does lean towards the neutral side in many respects. But its overall sound is still very much colored. It's sound staging though is quite accurate in that it presents a truly out of head sound staging with pinpoint accuracy.

Regarding the O2 and ODAC, sorry I think they are very overhyped. Yes they are a good value for the money but there is a lot better to be had IMO. There's much more to it than just a beautified line :wink:.

Tupac had mentioned the Anedio D2 being a very good DAC. Of course it is pricey and you'd expect it to perform at a very high level for its asking price (not that pricing will always be an indication in this case). I don't think it is portable though. Then again I don't consider the DACport LX portable but transportable. I'm not exactly sure what to tell you. The LX works great for me and I'll wait on my S-mod to come in to see how they both compare. But to put some perspective on the matter. The AK120 stock costs around $1,300. The DACport LX when first released was around $300.00 I think? Now can be had for around $250.00 or $200? Paired with the Firestone PSU and Triad L3 and there is no comparison at all. Completely different levels of audio quality yet for around the same cost if not just slightly under $1,300.00. Now that my AK120 was modded into the S mod it may very well be superior to LX. I'm pretty sure it will be to be quite frank. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,648 of 2,566
Lee, what is the amp on your chain in between your DACport LX and your SE5. And what would happen if you replaced the DACport LX with a ODAC (no O2, just ODAC). Can you or anyone report on how this sounds on the SE5.

I know things get overhyped, but quoting average_joe, (he took the O2 out) “I decided to see if this DAC [ODAC] was a true giant killer by comparing it with the Anedio D1 DAC and found the difference much smaller than the price would indicate, although the D1 is more resolving, spacious, clear, and concise. “ http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-16-amps-reviewed-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-added (he goes on to agree with you that when you have the O2 amp in the stack, the sound deteriorates markedly.)

My goal here is not directly about portable. Its simply about USB OTG support. Say, for my semi-portable tablet, not for my portable phone. And thus I don't need to go in an AK120, DX100, or that new Sony NWZ-ZX1. What is the "s-mod"?

I’m ready to love the DACport DX just as hard as everyone in this thread. I’m ready to love the Anedio. But their manufacturers are hostile to USB OTG. So I am just looking to broaden a list of DACs, that can do the SE5 justice, in the hope that one of them intentionally or accidentally supports USB OTG. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #1,649 of 2,566
  Guys, what standalone DACs, portable or desktop, bring out all the SE5 is capable of?

Anedio D1 or D2?
DACport LX?
ODAC (DAC only, skip the amp)

What else goes on our short list? I was going to take it and feed it into my Tralucent T1 amp, then into my SE5's.

High Gain. The best pairing I have ever heard for SE5. trumps all my DAPs (well it suppose to)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back