[Review] Sennheiser IE800: Impressions, Frustration and a bunch of What-Ifs
Jan 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #331 of 509
I found the Sony's painful to listen to, and fit was tricky (they sounded bad to me even with proper fit).  They made an immediate U-turn and I owned them less than 5 days....

I am trying to decide between the 846 and the ie800s even though i am liking my Cardas 5813s very much.  Looking for that LCD-2 coherent sound with great bottom and good resolution...  Maybe it's time to get customs - not sure what that search will be like..

Fzman,
How would you compare the IE800 to the Cardas EM5813? I have and really like the Cardas, but the IE800 piques my interest.
Thanks!

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #332 of 509
The two has very different sound signature, should not OR cannot be compared to each other! One obvious point is that Cardas is very dark and veilled when compared A/B to IE800.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #333 of 509
Fzman,
How would you compare the IE800 to the Cardas EM5813? I have and really like the Cardas, but the IE800 piques my interest.
Thanks!

I know you didn't ask me, but I have both, I recently got the IE800s and have had the Cardas for a few months now.
Having read some of the complaints about the IE800's ergonomics, I can only say the Cardas' massive microphonics and heavy cable make the IE800s seem like a dream.

As far as sound goes, they're quite different.  The Cardas seem to me like they share some traits with the LCD-2s (as much as an in-ear can) or perhaps the HD650s.  I find them dark, to my ears a little more presence and physicality in the mids.  They feel a little more intimate with a smaller but pleasant sense of space.  The IE800s strike me as more fluid, transparent, punchy in the bass, sparkly but still smooth in the treble, and with effortless mids.  They also strike me as faster and with an airier sense of space.  The IE800s, if they had a full-size counterpart, to my ears they have a signature that's similar to the Fostex TH900s/600s.  Quite different, and while I'm happy I have both I'd choose the IE800s in a heartbeat.

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #334 of 509

I know you didn't ask me, but I have both, I recently got the IE800s and have had the Cardas for a few months now.
Having read some of the complaints about the IE800's ergonomics, I can only say the Cardas' massive microphonics and heavy cable make the IE800s seem like a dream.

As far as sound goes, they're quite different.  The Cardas seem to me like they share some traits with the LCD-2s (as much as an in-ear can) or perhaps the HD650s.  I find them dark, to my ears a little more presence and physicality in the mids.  They feel a little more intimate with a smaller but pleasant sense of space.  The IE800s strike me as more fluid, transparent, punchy in the bass, sparkly but still smooth in the treble, and with effortless mids.  They also strike me as faster and with an airier sense of space.  The IE800s, if they had a full-size counterpart, to my ears they have a signature that's similar to the Fostex TH900s/600s.  Quite different, and while I'm happy I have both I'd choose the IE800s in a heartbeat.

thank you so much for your comparisons!  that's very helpful.  I don't have the HD650 but, from the descriptions, I was wondering if they sounded a like in some ways.  I have the LCD-3 but not the LCD-2 and I don't have the TH900/600, but I still find your comparisons very thoughtful and helpful!
btw, are you using Cardas' stock tips?  if so, white or blue?
Thanks!

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #335 of 509
You're welcome, no problem.  I know it's a little funny to compare IEMs to full-sizers, but it sounds like you got the idea!
I use the white tips, I never connected with the blue ones.  As for the IE800s, lest I be off topic for too long, I've found the included tips to fit well, they are quite shallow so wouldn't work out in them, but I wouldn't do that in expensive phones like that anyway...
For anyone who cares, I ran the IE800s through the ALO RX3-b+ and found they sounded even better.  I'd yet to find an IEM that really benefited all that much from amping.  The RX is also kind of too much power for IEMs, but oddly it works out really well with the ie800s.  Going to try with the ALO Pan Am tonight.  I'm curious if anyone else has any amp pairings they've found synergies with on these.
Otherwise I'm finding they sound great with the AK100, which is my on the go source.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #336 of 509
  You're welcome, no problem.  I know it's a little funny to compare IEMs to full-sizers, but it sounds like you got the idea!
I use the white tips, I never connected with the blue ones.  As for the IE800s, lest I be off topic for too long, I've found the included tips to fit well, they are quite shallow so wouldn't work out in them, but I wouldn't do that in expensive phones like that anyway...
For anyone who cares, I ran the IE800s through the ALO RX3-b+ and found they sounded even better.  I'd yet to find an IEM that really benefited all that much from amping.  The RX is also kind of too much power for IEMs, but oddly it works out really well with the ie800s.  Going to try with the ALO Pan Am tonight.  I'm curious if anyone else has any amp pairings they've found synergies with on these.
Otherwise I'm finding they sound great with the AK100, which is my on the go source.

Thanks again for your input!
I have a National and find that it hisses with the Cardas, but it's good to know that the IE800 thrive on power.   Do you happen to also have the Shure SE846 or have heard it?  If so, would you be able to share your experience with it?  Thanks!

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #337 of 509
  Thanks again for your input!
I have a National and find that it hisses with the Cardas, but it's good to know that the IE800 thrive on power.   Do you happen to also have the Shure SE846 or have heard it?  If so, would you be able to share your experience with it?  Thanks!

There is a little bit of hiss with the RX3 and Pan Am, but I find it tolerable.
As for the SE846s, I did a lot of research on them, but never heard them.  
I had the SE535s and didn't like them at all, unlike most, so I simply passed over the 846s.  

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #338 of 509
Fzman,
Thanks!

I think the 800s have more sparkle up top, and are much smaller, and easier to fit/wear.  There is something magical about the Cardas, that evades analysis.  The 800s are 'thicker', the Cardas are 'darker'.  Hope that helps at least a bit, and sorry it took so long to respond, but others have answered well, in my stead....

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #339 of 509
I think the 800s have more sparkle up top, and are much smaller, and easier to fit/wear.  There is something magical about the Cardas, that evades analysis.  The 800s are 'thicker', the Cardas are 'darker'.  Hope that helps at least a bit, and sorry it took so long to respond, but others have answered well, in my stead....

Thanks so much for the input!
Btw, I used the portaphile 627 amp to drive the Cardas last night, and it sounds great. More articulate bass and better detail (compared to the Alo Audio National and RSA SR-71b)

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #340 of 509
Happy to report all my issues were fixed, I had fit issue! Finally tried to use a pair of comply foam i had (despite not want to do so as I was told it might alter the sound), put them on and wow the bass is tight and treble does not sound a lot more smoother.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #341 of 509

The RCS cable is scheduled for release imminently but no word on the RCA800.

It's been several months since this was mentioned but has anyone heard about the RCA 800?  I e-mailed Sennheiser US but they said they've never heard of such a cable!!!  This was their response...

"At the moment the IE800 earbuds for for high end music listening only so there is no built in mic or controls. At some point I hope to see such a cable get released but there is no info. available about that now unfortunately."

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #342 of 509
Hi all,

I was wondering if any IE 800 owners wouldn't mind taking a look at another thread I opened today? I'm having a problem with the IE 800s and I could use some help with checking for distortion if anyone's willing?

The thread is:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/705118/ie-800-distortion-issue

Many thanks,

Danno.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #343 of 509
I waited so long for the RCA800 that I ended up selling the IE800.  I have the Kuro and the Shure 846 now.  Out of all the IEMs I used, the IE800 was my favorite by far.  It has a really detailed sound with remarkable bass.  However, as the review in the op mentions, the comfort is poor.  No matter what tip I used, the IE800 would eventually get displaced.  It might be the lightest IEM of the bunch, but it feels like it was designed to be worn by a mutant.

There is just no way to get any other tips for it and there's no way to wear it comfortably over the ear!  There is a reason why this IEM sells for so little on the resale market and it has nothing to do with the sound.

@Danno81

I listen to a lot of Offspring and I've never heard any distortion with the IE800.  However, they do tend to have some abrasive sounds in their music.  I found the IE800 to be one of the most coherent, distortion free IEMs on the market.  Out of all the headphones you have (including the HD800), it might be the only headphone "impolite" enough to show it to you.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #344 of 509
@utdeep

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to test that specific track again across a few of my devices and headsets to make sure it's definitely really only the IE 800s. I think the only way to get to the bottom of it is to find a second pair of IE800s somewhere that allows me to try it and try them side by side. That way I can rule out other external factors and finally rest on a problem with my specific set. Otherwise when they work they're great, when I hear the white noise it's still the same loveliness at many of the frequencies, just with a big helping of frustration mixed in.

Convincing Sennheiser there actually is an issue if it turns out to be may be harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back