REVIEW: Red Wine Audio “Audeze Edition” balanced Headphone Amplifier – DAC combo
Jun 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #108 of 119
Quote:
If you wanted to get 24/192k with the audeze editions DAC with a computer you would need a usb to s/pdif like the Audiophilleo 1 right?

Correct, I have an Isabellina with the pro DAC and am using the new Hiface 2 so I can play hi-res files through the BNC coax input.The lack of hi-res support on USB was one of the major considerations re the Isabellina, however given that most of my library is 16/44 lossless files it really wasn't an issue. It is a sweet DAC/Amp and sounds great with my LCD-2 headphones. I honestly don't notice a huge difference between the Hiface 2/coax and USB inputs on hi-res files, although i need to do more critical listening to compare. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #109 of 119
Gentlemen,

I am also tempted by this AE+LCD combo, but I have few question:

- Isn't the fact that the USB imput can't process 24/192 a real problem for such a high piced gear ?  I intend to use mostly High res files from my Mac or from a music served, and I believe that a USB->S/PDIF is just one too many part in the process.   Damned... WHY NO 24/192 USB support :)  ??

- The combo is marketed with the LCD-2.   Will the LCD-3 will bring a step-up advantage ?

- Does the LCD used in a Balanced configuration really offer a better sound ? Many people recommend the Liquid Fire amp from Cavalli Audio amp  for the LCD-2, but... it is NOT balanced !   So... question:  can a Single-ended "super-duper-Amp" out perform a very good balanced amp for the LCD ?

- I am also surprised that the AE does NOT have ballanced imput !  Why ?? Isn't it a limitation ? 

And finally, what BALANCED amp/DAC can be seen as a very good alternative for the LCD ?  Tube if possible... :)

thanks in advance

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #110 of 119
I have had the Red Wine Audio Isabellina with the balanced headphone amp and pro DAC upgrades(essentially similar to the Audeze edition) for a few months and have enjoyed it very much, I find I just get into the music and don't get overly analytical about what it's doing or not doing. I'm using it with LCD-2 Rev. 2 headphones and Audirvana Beta playing though a MacBook Pro.

I agree about the limitation of the USB input and have been using the Hiface 2 as a USB to SPDIF converter to play hi-res files. I find that this combo works quite well and derives the benefit from the hi-res files, although it would be more convenient to use the USB input for all music. When comparing the Hiface with USB on non hi-res files I find little difference between the two, telling me there's really no degradation using the Hiface. 

The lack of hi-res support becomes an issue for me when playing hi-res music form my iPad through the camera connection kit as the Hiface will not work without an external power supply, hence losing the "portability". I live in Mexico and love taking the unit to the terrace to listen. That to me is one of the major benefits of the Isabellina, the ability to listen to it off the grid, and is one reason I really enjoy the Isabellina.

Good luck with your research.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #111 of 119
thanks Fordski for your imput

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #112 of 119
I agree about the limitation of the USB input and have been using the Hiface 2 as a USB to SPDIF converter to play hi-res files. I find that this combo works quite well and derives the benefit from the hi-res files, although it would be more convenient to use the USB input for all music. When comparing the Hiface with USB on non hi-res files I find little difference between the two, telling me there's really no degradation using The HiFace

Will it be better to use the " optical out " of the MacBook pro to feed directly the DAC instead of à USB-to-SPDIF converter ? With this Will we also havé 24/192 kHz support ?

Is an optical imput as good as à USB imput for à DAC ?

Thanks

Sep 9, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #113 of 119
@Skylab @mwilson

10+ years on, how do reviewers feel the RWA AE holds up today?

I have both the AE and the Isabella with a single ended 1/4" headphone jack. I have been listening to the Isabella because the NOS chip on the AE died this past week and I prefer it to the Wolfson chip. I am curious if I should be considering an upgrade or if these DAC/amp combos are still considered top tier.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #114 of 119
Best thing is to get to a meet or a dealer and try some of the new chips to see what your preferences are.

Sep 9, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #116 of 119
Vinnie has made big strides since then. Plus there are several new amp technologies like the GaN Class D's to try. Use this as an opportunity to see wat is out there.

Sep 9, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #118 of 119
The Studio Six is still top tier, but I am not sure if it is still available. ALO Audio has shifted to primarily in ear monitors with their Campfire Audio line. ifi has some great affordable amps, Headamp is building wonderful SS and tube gear. Some brands like Cary Audio have amps that are great for two channel audio as well as headphones. Schitt Audio has some great new amps that are also affordable. So many fun choices out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back