REVIEW: Red Wine Audio “Audeze Edition” balanced Headphone Amplifier – DAC combo
Nov 9, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #92 of 119

Quote:

Do you believe the DAC in the RWA AE is better than the W4S DAC-2?   

It's impossible to really tell as the RWA AE's DAC can only be used with the amp and no other way to run a DAC into the AE.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #93 of 119

Quote:
It's impossible to really tell as the RWA AE's DAC can only be used with the amp and no other way to run a DAC into the AE.

Not true, you can get the output from the DAC from the fixed RCA outs on the AE.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #94 of 119
You can use the AE as just a DAC. But indeed you cannot run any other source through the AE's amp.

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #97 of 119

Quote:
So you can break out the RWA DAC to run through another pre amp or headphone amp, but you can't run another DAC through the RWA to test the RWA DAC against another DAC? 

You can't use the RWA amp section with any other DAC, but you can isolate the DAC section and use it with other amps. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #98 of 119
Right - there is a fixed-level analog output off of the DAC (if I understand correctly its actually right after the tube stage). But the AE has only digital inputs feeding its DAC.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #99 of 119
Hi Flohmann,

Thanks for your review - much appreciated and I'm glad you are enjoying your Audeze Edition combo!

Quote:
You can't use the RWA amp section with any other DAC, but you can isolate the DAC section and use it with other amps. 

Our new Corvina with the Balanced Output Stage has no DAC, but two analog inputs:

http://redwineaudio.com/components/corvina

I'll have it at the NY Meet this weekend.  Connect another dac (plus the interconnects will be another variable) and compare to the all-in-one Audeze Edition System
(but use the included ALO balanced cable).  
cool.gif

Thanks again for all your posts and interest!

Vinnie

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #100 of 119

Quote:
Hi Flohmann,

Thanks for your review - much appreciated and I'm glad you are enjoying your Audeze Edition combo!

Our new Corvina with the Balanced Output Stage has no DAC, but two analog inputs:

http://redwineaudio.com/components/corvina

I'll have it at the NY Meet this weekend.  Connect another dac (plus the interconnects will be another variable) and compare to the all-in-one Audeze Edition System
(but use the included ALO balanced cable).  
cool.gif

Thanks again for all your posts and interest!

Vinnie

I'm looking forward to reading a review of the Corvina.  Or even reviewing it.   

ZoomButt.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #101 of 119
Good review, Skylab. This system looks very nice.

I'm surprised that of the many portable input options mentioned, the CLAS has not come up. I would assume the coaxial out would be quite suitable...?

Am I right that this system would also be a good match for the LCD-3?

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #102 of 119
Indeed it works cpvery well with the LCD-3, and in fact it is the primary amp I use with the 3.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #103 of 119
Hi Skylab, as always: love to read your comments.
As an slightly academic and realistic person that also is from cold Norway, i have some difficulties to understand that the subjective feel isn`t more up to discussion. I have some sets here, and what i like my friends find to flat, and i can´t understand their Dr. Dre Love.- my ears is connected to my brain, and my sound is different to all others?

BUT, and this is a biggi:) LYR+Lcd-2 is awesome! 

Do anyone, or you an idea about paring with the HE-500?

Redwine audio maybe?

Respect!

Chr.Joergensen
Norway

May 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #105 of 119
Quote:
Does anyone have any experiencee with the AE or Corvina and the HD800?
I have both LCD 2 & Hd800 and am considering the Corvina (which I understand is the same amp as the AE).
Thanks!

I do. I had the balanced HPA option on an Isabellina and used it with my old HD800 for several months - it’s the same HPA as the AE edition. I thought it was an excellent combination. Massive soundstage and it brought out a bit more low frequency heft to the HD800 compared to some other amps (headroom desktop, peachtree music box) I had used. personally, I thought the gain was a bit higher than it needed to be on the balanced output as I never had to go beyond 9 on the dial to sound very loud.

If you get the corvina, you’ll note that the balanced option is an extra 500 dollars. I’m not really sure if it’s necessary to sound great but that is the model that has the same amp as the AE. the base, SE output is the same as the base Isabellina HPA model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back