REVIEW: Red Wine Audio “Audeze Edition” balanced Headphone Amplifier – DAC combo
Oct 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #76 of 119
Rob, will you be listening to and reviewing the Corvina when it starts shipping at the end of the month? That seems, for all intents and purposes, to be an Isabellna HPA sans the digital front end. Ie, just the balanced amp section.

There are more details on their forum pages.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #77 of 119
Quote:
This is perhaps the biggest issue. Fortunately, I have a Weiss Minerva DAC as an alternative, so I may just identify my best source material to run through the RWA Audeze Edition. In particular, I have been experimenting with some of the very high resolution digital offerings now being made available online. As with anything else in the audiophile domain the price increases exponentially with quality, so I am not yet convinced that the extra resolution is worth it.

I'm not sure I follow. You do have the Minerva DAC, but what exactly do you plan to plug it into for amplification? The Minerva doesn't have a headphone out from what I remember.

As far as high-res audio files go, our fellow forum member WarriorAnt would say, it's all in the mastering. High-res alone will not a great recording make. I've listened to redbook material that sounded better than other high resolution files, and naturally vice-versa. Your mileage will vary. But to repeat myself - with good source material, the RWA AE is brilliant.

As mentioned above, I do have a DAC with analog inputs, so I am covered here.

Agan, I'm looking at the Minerva, and it doesn't seem to have any amplification of its own, nor analog inputs.

Perhaps I'm being thick this morning - am I missing something? Should I go for another cuppa joe?

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #78 of 119
The Minerva runs through a Macintosh C2200 Preamplifier and then a First Watt F1 and into my AKG K1000s. 

My error. The Minerva doesn't take analog inputs.  (going for another cuppa joe myself).
blink.gif

Regards,
Tom

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #79 of 119

Quote:
Rob, will you be listening to and reviewing the Corvina when it starts shipping at the end of the month? That seems, for all intents and purposes, to be an Isabellna HPA sans the digital front end. Ie, just the balanced amp section.
There are more details on their forum pages.

Not sure, but I might :)

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #80 of 119
Guys, this is an awesome thread. Already having a portable/mobile setup I'm happy with -- and awaiting the JH3A saga as well -- I'm truly ready to make the leap in the direction of a higher-end desktop system. For months I'm thinking this might be it, and I'm bummed I won't be able to go to CanJam and audition it .... 

Anyway -- a few questions: 

- For Vinnie, Sky or anyone else ... what is the difference between the Isabellina HPA Pro and the AE? (Obviously, apart from the package) Are there technical differences? Better USB implementation? Can't seem to find the price on the Isbellina Pro for comparison ... 

- Some of the benefits mentioned such as "USB input converts directly to I2S" eliminate the need for something like the Diverter HR? I know there are manufacturers who claim no jitter, yet their gear still gets immense benefit from something like the diverter when running USB out of a computer ... just look at Warp's comments on the Zodiac and how much it was improved with the Diverter. 

- Also, which USB have you guys with positive AE experiences been using? Locus design? 

- Has anyone tried DHC cables with the Audez? I LOOOOOVE the OCC copper one I got for my JH16's and am considering this one with the LCD-2's (WARNING - insanely priced): http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=49

Thanks in advance for any help, and for the great review and thread -- can't wait to try this .... :) 

Anthony

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #81 of 119

Quote:

- Has anyone tried DHC cables with the Audez? I LOOOOOVE the OCC copper one I got for my JH16's and am considering this one with the LCD-2's (WARNING - insanely priced): http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=49

"The best headphone cable requires an appropriate bag.  Tick the box below for the Louis Vuitton Bastille messenger bag with Damier Canvas leather print.  We will get your bag direct from Louis Vuitton USA and ship your purchases in your new bag via insured Fedex overnight."

Wait, what? They're joking right? Also, $3000 for the cable...

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #82 of 119
LOL. Not sure, but even for those who do get the 3k cable -- I don't know any audiophiles who would sacrifice another piece of high-end gear in order to get an LV bag .... 

Quote:

"The best headphone cable requires an appropriate bag.  Tick the box below for the Louis Vuitton Bastille messenger bag with Damier Canvas leather print.  We will get your bag direct from Louis Vuitton USA and ship your purchases in your new bag via insured Fedex overnight."

Wait, what? They're joking right? Also, $3000 for the cable...

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #83 of 119
Hi Skylab, it seems that you have listened to the RWA Audeze Edition and Cavalli Liquid Fire on the CanJam yesterday (based on your post on the LCD-3 thread).
If any, did you notice differences between those two amps sonically?

I believe and pretty much sure they are both awesome sounding and among the best in the market nowadays, I'm just wondering which direction they are heading SQ-wise (or whether they have particular house-sound) when both are hybrid driven by the 6922 tube and similarly priced. Thanks.  

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #84 of 119
Based on what I heard on the CanJam floor, the LF and AE both do a great job with the LCD-3.  Impossible to say which sounded better - different sources and far from ideal listening conditions.  But both were GREAT.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #85 of 119
Still so tempted to go be able to have a iPad/Flac --> iPure or Cambridge Dock --> AE --> LCD-3 rig that I can carry around around the house or even other places and play via the internal battery. From all the Canjam impressions, it seems there are slightly better sounding amps or DAC's with the LCD's -- but they are often way more expensive (like the Apex) ... and none are semi-portable like the AE is.

A big part of music is being able to share it with others and let them hear the amazing sound that you're hearing -- and the transportability of AE system would allow that much more than other systems. 

Sky - if you get a pair of LCD-3's for review, I'm sure many would love to hear your detailed impressions, especially in conjunction with the AE DAC/amp. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #86 of 119

Quote:

Sky - if you get a pair of LCD-3's for review, I'm sure many would love to hear your detailed impressions, especially in conjunction with the AE DAC/amp. Thanks!

The RWA AE and the Leben CS-300 will be the main amps I use in the review.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #88 of 119
Another Review: Red Wine Audeze Edition v. Headroom/Wyred4Sound

There are lots of rational reasons I should not prefer the Audeze Edition over my existing reference DAC/amp combo (Headroom Blockhead (2005 modules, stepped attenuators) and Wyred4Sound DAC2). And yet I do. Why? Because against all odds, the AE delivers both more resolution and more vibrant presence over the LCD-2 headphones. It's a testament to system matching. Amazingly enough, I'm left with the conclusion that I'll be keeping the AE, but also that it's actually a good value for the money. 

The System: My music lives on an iMac, all ripped to Apple Lossless. I rely on an Apple Airport Express to deliver the bits to the room where my headphone rig resides. The Airport Express' optical digital output is fed into a Genesis Digital Lens (if you don't believe jitter makes a difference, the transformation of the Airport Express will convince you). Digital lens connected via coaxial RCA to AE, and by AES/EBU to my Wyred4Sound. Other unequal variable was the ALO cable -- because the balance connector on the AE is different than on the Blockhead, I had to use the Audeze stock balanced cable on the Blockhead, rather than the AE's fancier ALO cable. Oh, and based on Skylab's review, I swapped out the AE's stock JJ tube for an early 70s NOS Mullard. 

Impressions: First, the reasons I shouldn't like the AE. Number one: motorized potentiometer for volume control. Really? Why not a stepped attenuator? Do we really need remote control on a headphone amp that we're tethered do by a relatively short ALO cable? Number two: fixed line outputs. In my set up, variable line out would be much more convenient, letting me hook directly to an amp for a casual bedroom non-headphone solution (my Bel Canto DAC3.5vb will continue to do DAC/pre duties in my main system). 

It took me about 3 hours of listening to sort out the ways the AE's sound beat out the Blockhead/W4S combo. Two tracks illustrated the difference. First, on the question of resolution, it was Tori Amos' voice-and-piano rendition of Leonard Cohen's classic, "Famous Blue Raincoat". About 3 and a half minutes into the song, Tori hums quietly over some pretty loud piano work. I've heard this track thousands of times, but it wasn't until the AE that I really appreciated how separately mic'd the voice and piano are. Over the Blockhead/W4S, I could obviously tell this wasn't a purist recording, but the AE really brought the differences in the mic work into stark relief.

On the issue of bloom and vibrance, it was the opening track of the new Feist album, Metals, entitled "The Bad in Each Other." It opens with a repeating drum thwack. Both set-ups delivered the initial impact well, but the trailing reverb was quite different, with the AE lending a bit more bloom and color to it. More of a sense of air and space around the drum. I'm not entirely sure that some of this may not be editorializing, but it made for reliably more engaging listening across a variety of music.

I'd say the Blockhead/W4S combo had the edge in the bass register, with more effortlessness and weight. But perhaps the best thing about the AE was the way it added some light to the dark sound of the LCD-2. Over the Blockhead, the LCD-2s sounded a bit closed in, by comparison to the AE. That's the benefit of system matching -- when designing the Blockhead, Tyll didn't have the LCD-2 in hand. But Vinnie did, and he did a marvelous job. 

After I came to these conclusions, I decided to see whether giving the Blockhead/W4S combo some clean power makes a difference, so I hooked the entire system up to a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Turns out, AC makes a difference, with the Blockhead/W4S now pulling closer to the AE (the same differences were still there, but less distinctly). But this is where I'd say the AE might be a bargain, since the Blockhead, W4S DAC2 and Power Plant together retailed new for much more than the AE. 

But don't get me wrong -- the Blockhead and W4S DAC2 are great with the LCD-2, and cheaper. And it did take me 3 hours to really home in on the differences (unlike, say, the comparison I did a few months ago between Pass and Bel Canto amps in my main system -- there, the victor was obvious in 10 seconds). So these are both great rigs. But, in the end, I'm going to keep the AE.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #89 of 119
Nice post, Flohmann.  Thanks.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #90 of 119
Thank you so much for sharing your impressions!

Quote:
Another Review: Red Wine Audeze Edition v. Headroom/Wyred4Sound

Impressions: First, the reasons I shouldn't like the AE. <..> Number two: fixed line outputs. <..>

Regarding this issue, you should have asked Vinnie of RWA to put/install variable line outputs. As I recall he can do that. 
Enjoy your AE 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back