Review: PreSonus Central Station (DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp)
Oct 23, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #256 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
I never thought to compare the sound from MF DAC with the real piano before.

I should clarify that I don't actually sit down to listen specifically to the piano. I just notice when it's not right. This is a by product of the fact that I'm always listening to the complex interplay between instruments (particularly in Jazz) and my attention gets drawn naturally to each voice (instrument) as it speaks.

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #257 of 276
i happen to not like any musical fidelity stuff. just thought i'd mention that.
i also hate that monarchy upsampler.
i am probably as picky as freefilter though. most people would not even notice these sonic differences.

the cs may not be the absolute best there is but it is a solid reference quality product. then factor in it's price and many people could just stop right there.

music_man

Oct 24, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #258 of 276
You guys really peaked my interest in CS. I will be getting a refurb shortly:wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
i happen to not like any musical fidelity stuff. just thought i'd mention that.
i also hate that monarchy upsampler.
i am probably as picky as freefilter though. most people would not even notice these sonic differences.

the cs may not be the absolute best there is but it is a solid reference quality product. then factor in it's price and many people could just stop right there.

music_man

Oct 25, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #259 of 276
Sk,
I mentioned this before but I thought you might want to know that I picked up the CS at Great Northern Light and Sound for $406 (shipped). For that price it's hard to go wrong. That's a significant discount from the competition. Guitar Centre's best price a little over $490 with taxes and shipping (the taxes are a little bonus they drop on you just before you sign on the dotted line).

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #260 of 276
Thanks for that tip. I love this forum for making my wallet bleed
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier
Sk,
I mentioned this before but I thought you might want to know that I picked up the CS at Great Northern Light and Sound for $406 (shipped). For that price it's hard to go wrong. That's a significant discount from the competition. Guitar Centre's best price a little over $490 with taxes and shipping (the taxes are a little bonus they drop on you just before you sign on the dotted line).

Oct 25, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #261 of 276
Nov 7, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #262 of 276
Ferbose and Music Man,

Can either of you tell me what kint of output stage the DAC has? Is it opamp or discrete? I am asking in regards to the ability to upgrade. If it is opamps, what kind and do you think modding one with a Zapfilter outpu stage would make any benefits?

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #263 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
Ferbose and Music Man,

Can either of you tell me what kint of output stage the DAC has? Is it opamp or discrete? I am asking in regards to the ability to upgrade. If it is opamps, what kind and do you think modding one with a Zapfilter outpu stage would make any benefits?

Output stage = Motorola MC33079D

Nov 8, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #265 of 276
that might put the cs squarely into the "elite" category. that is, if it works as intended with the cs. i don't know how it would turn out. i have run it through the mf tube buffer. most "audiophiles" would probably prefer that sound. i am trained more to expect what the cs provides in stock form. that it is why it is so dear to me. i did replace some caps and resistors in my own unit with better quality ones of the same spec. that did not change it's basic signature. i didn't want it changed either.

music_man

Nov 8, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #266 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
that might put the cs squarely into the "elite" category. that is, if it works as intended with the cs. i don't know how it would turn out. i have run it through the mf tube buffer. most "audiophiles" would probably prefer that sound. i am trained more to expect what the cs provides in stock form. that it is why it is so dear to me. i did replace some caps and resistors in my own unit with better quality ones of the same spec. that did not change it's basic signature. i didn't want it changed either.

music_man

I will probably be very happy with the DAC output anyway, but I find discrete no opamp designd add another level of transparency and dynamics. I am saving my money for a Modwright Sony 9100ES Platinum at $4000 and IF and that is a big if I get it I will likely only use the CS DAC for a Squeezebox and maybe my Oppo DVD for DVD-audio.

Another question I have... I know the CS auto senses whether or not the signal coming in is balanced or SE, but if it is SE does the CS put out a balanced signal?

Nov 8, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #267 of 276
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
Another question I have... I know the CS auto senses whether or not the signal coming in is balanced or SE, but if it is SE does the CS put out a balanced signal?

I think CS can automatically sense belanced vs SE, but it won't take SE in and output balanced.

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #270 of 276
I am in the early stages of building a vinyl system and was wondering if the RCA inputs on my Presonus CS can be utilized to process the turntable signal to my tube amplifier. Since I intend to use either a mid priced mm or mc cartridge on the turntable, the PreSonus Central station whould work really well and save me purchasing another piece of equipment. Agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back