Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Apr 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #316 of 756
I just got a pair.  They sound good. Smell nice, too.

Here I was thinking I'm the only one that sniffs cans, albeit always taking a cursory glance across the room to check for wolves.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #317 of 756
No idea what the ZX700 hast lost in here. My wife's pair definitely isn't fake because I bought it in the first month it was released directly from Amazon.
I don't see the use of comparing it to the L1 as the Sony is far inferior in every aspect.

I have to admit that I don't like the ZX700 mostly for comfort issues. The inside of the cups has a spiked plastic shield that cuts my left ear - but I bought them for my wife anyway. BTW, she also easily prefers the L1.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #318 of 756
You're talking about stock pads and swbf2cheater using different pads which are VERY differently designed, believe it or not but pads can change the sound signature a lot. I've modified my Q40 stock pads which are VERY shallow pads and just by stuffing extra paddening beneath the pads to make it deeper there's a big increase in soundstage. Furthermore he talked mostly about mids and soundstage only, didn't see him mentioning that ZX700 would beat it in bass response for example. Mids are nice out of box on ZX700 appearently and soundstage was greatly improved by the pads (which I personally won't doubt as those earpads are so much larger and deeper than the stock ones and the drivers are angled on the ZX700 too, I've had great results with angled drivers in the past from soundstage point of view).  

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #319 of 756
The chances your ZX700 were fake are now 100%.  Nothing on the driver face plate or the stock earpads have spikes.  In fact, its smooth, nothing raised, divoted yes, but nothing raised or even remotely close to having the ability to cut you.  The ZX700 has some really nice slam.  Vocals are shockingly forward.  Everything you said points to a counterfeit ZX700.  

Those raised driver plate edges are very rounded, not even slightly capable of cutting or being felt through the earpads.  

Nothing inside or on the Stock earpads at all

This all leads me back to what I was saying before.  The Mids on this set of headphones are moderately forward, but Vocals in particular are incredibly forward and very tall and large sounding.  The set is immensely powerful and due to the large mid hump as I will call it, due to the mids being so large and the bass and highs being far less prominent, proper dampening and larger pads will invoke exceptionally large and airy sound staging.  Those drivers are super angled! and the pads are perfectly flat...HORRENDOUS choice.  With the HE300 pads, the stage is more balanced out, larger and more airy.  Its a budget soundstage can, bass quantity takes a severe hit and there is a ton of leakage.  I can see a Kees mod for this happening, but it wont because nobody really cares much for this set anyway.  Shame really.  I would very much prefer the presentation of the ZX700 with HE300 pads if the clarity were on par with the L1, and it had a black background with no grain like the L1 has.  Switching between the two, I find vocals much nicer ( presentation only, not clarity, please dont twist my words on later pages on this thread lol ) and much more engaging on the Sony.  Soundstaging is better, but the L1 is vastly superior in everything else.  Tough choice for me, the Sony + new pads setup has such an open and airy experience, both headphones do not sound like closed backs at all.   I mentioned this because I wanted this type of pad swap on the L1, it also has angled drivers with flat pads.  Why?  Who knows.  Its like putting highway tires on an off-roader.  Makes no sense what so ever and downgrades the stage and bass.

I need someone to loan me a Z1000 immediately.  I am told clarity is kind of amazing on that set and I am eager to see how it sounds with the HE300 pads. Someone get on Sonys butt or some other reseller to give me a free set for demo purposes. :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #321 of 756
Sorry to get back on topic but...

Quote:

Quote:
Really surprised at the Focal's results in that comparison. They were really quite bad, IMO. The L1s were superior on almost every track I listened to and in ergonomics and build quality.

The Focal must either be really bad or we are not hearing the same things the same way. I got the L1 on Tuesday, ran pink noise through them for a couple of days, and am now listening. I find the L1 dark and muddy in the upper bass and lower midrange (those two areas blur together), and the top end rolled off. Kind of like the way a lot of people hear the B&W P5, only the P5 now sounds more open after listening to the L1. Treble detail on the L1 is really truncated.

Very disappointing thus far but I will soldier on and see if things improve.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #322 of 756
Funny you mention the P5. Recently, I've become more interested in how the P5, Z1000, and L1 compare in terms of natural tonality. Wish I had the doubloons to hear them all at the same time.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #323 of 756
Sorry to get back on topic but...

The Focal must either be really bad or we are not hearing the same things the same way. I got the L1 on Tuesday, ran pink noise through them for a couple of days, and am now listening. I find the L1 dark and muddy in the upper bass and lower midrange (those two areas blur together), and the top end rolled off. Kind of like the way a lot of people hear the B&W P5, only the P5 now sounds more open after listening to the L1. Treble detail on the L1 is really truncated.

I didn't return the L1s for no reason :wink:

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #324 of 756
This mirror my experience with the L1 and that is with over 200 hrs of burn in time.

[quote name="Beagle". I got the L1 on Tuesday, ran pink noise through them for a couple of days, and am now listening. I find the L1 dark and muddy in the upper bass and lower midrange (those two areas blur together), and the top end rolled off. Kind of like the way a lot of people hear the B&W P5, only the P5 now sounds more open after listening to the L1. Treble detail on the L1 is really truncated.

[/quote]

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #325 of 756
I suggest you guys to lift the pads of L1s by putting some vinyl/latex tube underneath them. Generally speaking, pad lift should clean up the "darkness and muddiness" in bass / mid and enhance treble and soundstage. If you have those tubes in hand (or you may find them at local HomeDepot for $5-$15), the mod is a easily reversible and you can remove it or put it on in 2 seconds, without changing or damaging anything.

Please take my suggestion with a grain of salt, as I do not own L1s. However, to my ears, the tube / pad lift mod helps CALs and Koss KSC75s a lot, but your mileage may vary. I did not believe the effects of pad mod, until I tried it. As an example, I hate KSC75s with stock foam pads (bloat and muddy bass, ect), but with some deeper Sennheiser PX200 pads, I like them. Headphones may sound different depending on how drivers are coupled to your ears; in other words, if sealing or depth of pads are changed, sound may change.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #326 of 756
I made a few changes and the L1 has also changed as a result. I switched to the Graham Slee Novo (from the PPA) and replaced the XLO interconnects with Kimber. I also flexed the headband so it would be tighter on my head. I had loosened it initially for more comfort. For some reason, the L1 has more top end and less bass when you push the earpieces against your ears. Usually the opposite happens (with circumaural/sealed headphones).

I guess it's a result of the changes plus elongated listening, but there actually is treble crispness (but not brightness), similar to the HD650 when compared against the HD600. You really have to listen for it. It is not obvious but it is there. Bass is less overbearing but is still a problem in that the whole bass area is blurred, notes are indistinct. You can't "follow the notes" because they are not separated. It's like there's "Daniel Lanois" bass on everything you listen to. Midrange (esp. female vocals) has a bit of a honk initially but that is no longer apparent. L to R imaging is fine but there is little depth perspective. Most recordings sound flat, painted on a wall. Add the colorations together and it makes it difficult to differentiate between recordings.

However, going back to several other sets of headphones, they all seemed to sound a bit harsh, metallic and unrefined after using the L1 for a couple of hours. This is usually good news for the preceding headphone. But 'overly smooth' can make 'natural' sound rough at first contrast.

I get the feeling that Philips will (or should) introduce an open-backed L1 (L2?) which will allow breathing room and that bass muddiness will disappear. It will retail for $399. In the meantime, maybe we can go inside the L1 and do the same thing. I'll have to wait for the 30 day return period to elapse 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #327 of 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

snip

For some reason, the L1 has more top end and less bass when you push the earpieces against your ears. Usually the opposite happens (with circumaural/sealed headphones).

snip

Yes, usually the opposite happens.

Please also bear the following in mind:
1) Tyll's headphone measurements also indicate that treble region could be easily affected by headphone positioning on head, significantly more so than mid or bass regions.
2) Treble notes can not travel as far as bass notes
3) Bass reproduction may require some enclosed air chamber.  For example, with stock foam pads, drivers of Koss ksc75s (semi-closed) are actually closer to ears, but since no enclosed air chamber is present, you may not like the stock bass quality. With Sennheiser PX200 pads, enclosed air chambers help with bass audibly. 

I am just speculating though. I can not offer any conclusion or proven solution.........it is just fun to tinker and mod headphones to one's own preference.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #328 of 756
Apr 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #329 of 756
Agreed with your assessment Beagle. For me though the honk never went away.

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #330 of 756
Quote:
The chances your ZX700 were fake are now 100%.  Nothing on the driver face plate or the stock earpads have spikes.

Actually I mean the rills you can see clearly on the picture. No use replying, really, since the user has left us. But they are still not fake. :p

I added his thread to my initial review, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back