Review: Oritek X-1 cable
Nov 18, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #61 of 68
Just a minor update on the X-1's. I've been listening a bit, and I think there's an EVER-so-slight glare in the lower mids. I hear it as a very slight sheen - not even harsh per se - in some vocals.

I don't think it's the recording or the associated equipment (Eastsound CD-E5 and Belles 250i integrated). I hear it on my speakers, Eminent Tech LFT-16's, and through my Dynahi.

I have sold off my Tritium cables, but my recollection was that they did NOT have this.

This is MAJOR nit-picking, as it's not bothersome (I alleviated it by slightly toe-ing out my speakers a bit), and everythng else about the X-1's is so great. But it does make me itch even more for the X-2's.

Oh, and BTW, the S-1 speaker cables are in. It's more of the same, adding even more "effortlessness" to the delivery of music! But it's literally been only about an hour of listening with them in, so just initial impressions.....

Nov 18, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
the meets is 11/19 two days from now. there will be so much great gear there though cables may get overshadowed but well see.

That could happen but it would be a misfortune as the difference between it and the other cables would be greater than the differences between amps or phones of similar design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
Just a minor update on the X-1's. I've been listening a bit, and I think there's an EVER-so-slight glare in the lower mids. I hear it as a very slight sheen - not even harsh per se - in some vocals.

This is MAJOR nit-picking, as it's not bothersome (I alleviated it by slightly toe-ing out my speakers a bit), and everythng else about the X-1's is so great. But it does make me itch even more for the X-2's.

There is a luminescence to the X-1 that brings so many good things but you know somehow there's a superior version in the X-2. I'm striving for words or understanding as I've not heard it yet.

I was told of an interesting cable listening session recently where the Grover UR3 bettered the Cardas Golden Reference but of course the Oritek X-1 easily thumped the UR3.

Can you imagine the feeling of having laid out the $900 for the Cardas Golden Reference and then hearing the $199 Oritek!
frown.gif

I've got to borrow a Nordost Valhalla to compare with the X-2!

Nov 20, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
There is a luminescence to the X-1 that brings so many good things but you know somehow there's a superior version in the X-2. I'm striving for words or understanding as I've not heard it yet.
<snip>
I've got to borrow a Nordost Valhalla to compare with the X-2!

I've listened to this a bit more, and swapped cables with a few other IC's, including the UR2, Silent Audio apollo-A, and VenHaus Pulsars. In ULTRA-careful listening, the UR2 and VenHaus display this slight glare/sheen I mentioned. The Silent Audio does not seem to.

So I'm really not sure if this is something that is in my system, and is just revealed by the likes of the above cables. The Silent Audio definitely has a slightly warmer or darker character, though it has a ton of details still.

As for the Valhalla, it's a superb cable. I've never heard it in my system, but have been able to hear it in another (Atmasphere electronics, Sound Lab speakers). It is FAST, ultra-detailed, and borderline harsh, but never crossing that ugly line. It's definitely a matter of taste I'd say. I read the review of it in 10Audio, where he rates it a "5 LP" rating versus the X-1's 10. I don't think it's quite justified, but in the wrong system or with someone who values different things, it may merit a lower ranking.

I have heard a little more extensively, and had in my system, other Nordost cables. Quatro Fil was probably the best I've had, and I'm very sure I like what the X-1 does better in my system than I remember the QF. Still not a direct comparison, but the feeling is strong.....

Anyways, saving up for the X-2. I hope it doesn't expose TOO much gunk in my system
biggrin.gif
blink.gif
Ori told me of a gent who "blamed" him for causing him to have to buy better equipment because his cables were TOO good!

Finally: UR5 arrived today. Letting it burn in for ~2 days of FM, which is feeding receiver which also happens to be burning in my AKG 701's....

I need to find mre time to listen, but this is gonna be FUN FUN FUN!

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #64 of 68
As requested by pabbi1

Link

Quote:

I have heard the X-1's (I own them), the UR2's (own them), and the UR5's (Grover sent me, I listened for a little while; but I returned them when he told me there was an even better version out, which is on its way).

While I may not "gush" like Eyeteeth does (sorry if that's offensive), I still concur in general with his findings.

The X-1, in my system, just seems to open things up more top to bottom. The analogy of letting water travel through a larger pipe is a good one. That is literally the sense I got when the X-1's were put in my system.

That said, the X-1's are not for everyone. They seem to be ruthlessly revealing! I consider my system very good (Eastsound CD-E5 feeding Belles 250i integrated, feeding Eminent Technology LFT-16 speakers; or, the E5 feeding a TrevorNetwork-built Max'd Dynahi).

With most other cables, this sounded great. Yet with the X-1's, it opened up even more, seemed that much more transparent. At the same time, the X-1's showed me I had a VERY slight midrange glare or sheen. At first I had thought it was the cables. But in trying about 4 or 5 other cables, I realized it is barely there, and the other cables may just be masking it a bit. I was lucky that toeing the speakers out a bit ameliorated the problem for the most part, without causing other problems. It doesn't bother me at all now.

Because of this revealing quality, other cables may go better in some systems than the X-1. The UR5 I had was VERY smooth, and extended on both sides very well. It was detailed, transparent, and very noticably better than the UR2, the last Grover version I had.

In my system, it was not as open and transparent ultimately as the X-1. Toeing my speakers in again revealed the glare, but it was less apparent. The music was still incredible, though, and I look VERY forward to hearing the U6.

I think the Grover's and the Oritek's are indeed "giant killers." I have heard cables in my system that cost up to almost $1k (Nordost Quatro FIl, Ensemble Dynaflux, Cardas Neutral Ref, PLENTY others). Any cable that competes with these cables, and betters them in many or all ways, is a giant-killer in my book. Is it the end-all? Maybe not. But even giant-killers can be killed themselves
tongue.gif

And yet, as good as the UR5 is, the X-1 takes a step even higher in my system! The transparency and openness, and its ability to seemingly just let the music truly flow, is like I have only heard with some BIG dollar systems. I remember this type of feeling of ease of flow and transparency from a system that was priced around $40-45K (FYI, it used Nordost Valhalla cables).

Bottom line: both of these cables say a LOT about the price/performance ratio, and about the capability of cables REGARDLESS of price.

Quote:

Don't overlook the very lofty Oritek X-1 10 Audio Review.

So far the X-1 is the only cable that lives up to the hype for me, everything else has disappointed. I don't know what it's weakness is; I guess I'll find out when I hear the X-2 as it's when something better arrives that the weaknesses of previous cables become apparent. If I'm the only one who has an experience this elevated, well I'll just have to live with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Link

Quote:

Just to add my note to this. I read the 10Audio review, and saw the compairson to the Nordost Valahalla. I also read the Valhalla review there as a reference, and found my experience didn't exactly mirror 10Audio's. I think the Nordost is more system-dependant, and I have heard it sound fantastic!

That said, I agree with 10Audio's and Eyeteeth's enthusiasm for the X-1. I HAVE had my experience "elevated" as Eyeteeth says. I think reviews get enthusiastic over finding ANY bargain. Sonic Impact T-amp is a prime example. How much performance is packed into a $39 or less amp??!!!

Low priced cables that pack such performance are also raved over. And rightly so! The enthusiasm SHOULD show. What does need to be recognized is that these bargains are not necessarily the greatest, but it just take a LOT more money to beat them. Yet in my system, nothing so far has beat the X-1's outright. Literally, the ONLY thing I can think of that was a definite improvement over the X-1's was the soundstaging of the Zu cables (Varial and Ibis, when I had them in my ststem). But in all other aspects, and just the ability to play music, the X-1's are doing it best right now.

I must say skullguise that it's a relief for me to have another listener hear the same level of performance versus other cables. My senses are intact after all!
cool.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #65 of 68
Maybe I should order some Grovers just to compare. You guys have gotten me curious!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
Maybe I should order some Grovers just to compare. You guys have gotten me curious!
smily_headphones1.gif

Go ahead, dare to compare.
After the Oritek, the Grover will have a similar affect upon music, particularly the soundstage, as having a swim in cold water will have upon your sense of manliness.

[size=xx-small](shrinkage)[/size]
eek.gif
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

Go ahead, dare to compare.
After the Oritek, the Grover will have a similar affect upon music, particularly the soundstage, as having a swim in cold water will have upon your sense of manliness.

[size=xx-small](shrinkage)[/size]
eek.gif
wink.gif

That's ok, I'll just switch from the Grado to something else to make up for it.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back