Review: Oritek X-1 cable
Nov 5, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #46 of 68
Does he offer any kind of 30-day trail/refund? I'm considering the purchase of some balanced cables in the next few weeks, and this might push me over the edge to try his.

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
That post was great... good for a laugh, but much of it very true. You been hanging out with Rick?

No but I think we watched the same TV shows growing up.
blink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Does he offer any kind of 30-day trail/refund? I'm considering the purchase of some balanced cables in the next few weeks, and this might push me over the edge to try his.

Yes he does.
Email and verify.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://members.ispwest.com/orim/audi...o/contact.html

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #49 of 68
Recieved my Oritek today and am listening to it on my minimax phonostage source.

First impression: it sounds wonderful! great balance, great resultion, awesome dynamics, and soundstage is BIG. Will comment more when I really have a chance to appreciate what it has to offer.

Also, Grover has a couple pairs of UR5s on their way to me now--He's extreemly excited about this version and I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #51 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
Also, Grover has a couple pairs of UR5s on their way to me now--He's extreemly excited about this version and I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Probably not as excited as some of us are to hear how the two compare.
biggrin.gif
These newer cables at or under $200 are starting to compete against cables costing many times their asking price. We live in exciting times.

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Probably not as excited as some of us are to hear how the two compare.
biggrin.gif
These newer cables at or under $200 are starting to compete against cables costing many times their asking price. We live in exciting times.

Yes it is amazing what can be had with some careful reading/researching of all the items out there. Not just cables but amps other other gear. A really good system can be put together for a reasonable amount of dough.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Is there any information about the construction of the cable, geometry, dialectric, materials used, etc.? Just curious, would love to check these out as well, impressions so far have all been very positive.

http://members.ispwest.com/orim/audi...o/x1_desc.html

Doesn't say too much:
"The cables address electrical parameters, electromagnetic noise rejection and mechanical stability in one simple and elegant structure.

Thin solid copper with Teflon insulation widely-spaced wires
Symmetrical geometry reduces RFI and EMI
Flexible yet rugged construction dampens acoustic vibrations
Each cable is subjected to an accelerated burn-in process

Specifications:
Capacitance (inc. connectors): RCA < 40 pF/ meter, XLR < 60 pF/ meter
Resistance: < 1 ohm/meter"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
Recieved my Oritek today and am listening to it on my minimax phonostage source.

First impression: it sounds wonderful! great balance, great resultion, awesome dynamics, and soundstage is BIG. Will comment more when I really have a chance to appreciate what it has to offer.

That's cool Gopher! It's good to know someone else is hearing the same thing.

I burned-in the Grover UR5 for a week, to be as fair as possible, but it only took 15 seconds to hear the greater transparency of the X-1 when compared. I compared for 10 minutes and then quit; the differences were very easy to hear and there wasn't any point in prolonging the test. Grover asked of this comparison and I let him know the results.

It's funny that soundstage was never a high priority for me before, but now that value has increased with the X-1. It's with not very good CDs or vinyl that this has happened, the tonality doesn't change, but I've discovered that they benefit very much from having lots of separation and space around the musical elements. Poor CDs are more enjoyable with lots of space.

Nov 15, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #54 of 68
Bumping this back up....I ended up grabbing a pair of X-1's from Ori. After only about 6-7 hours of listening time, I can EASILY say that these surpass all other cables I have, and (based on memory) many more I've had in the past!

I have the Grover UR (ver 2 I believe), VenHaus Pulsar Cryo'd, Straley, Silent Audio Apollo-A, and - up until recently - my reference, the Tritium Ultra High Velocity (UHV) Gold's. And beyond that, I've own Nordost Quatro Fil, Red Dawn, Blue Heaven; Ensemble Dynaflux; Zu Varial (sp?); and several others costing MUCH more than the X-1's $200.

I'll probably post an even more detailed follow-up later, but I have to say that transparency, soundstage, and dyanmics are just amazing with these. I started to pick apart the sound, seeing what they did well, especially compared to my other IC's. But ultimately, it's about letting more of the music through seemingly audibly untouched.

There is a sense of being there, of being live, with these cables. I've listened mostly on my speakers, but have put a little time in on my Dynahi with Sony SA-5K's and Grado SR-325's.

Lastly, I just want to mention that Ori is one of the most amazing gentlemen I have dealt with. Honest, funny, smart, and definitely NOT a snake oil salesman! He is very intent on providing truly great sound at a reasonable price!

My S-1 speaker cables were just ordered
icon10.gif
and I'll be selling some things off, to try the X-2 IC's next!

Nov 16, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #55 of 68
mine are on their way! I have to say the grovers are an amazing cable and it will be an uphill battle for the X-1s but Ori's confidence in them is contageous. I'll get mine tomorrow or thursday so I won't have any time to really listen before the Tampa meet but I plan to use these and the grovers on my dyahi and E5 for comparision. A more deatiled comparision when I get home and recoup.

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #56 of 68
jp11801, same components here, Eastsound CD-5 and Dynahi.

I also have a Belles 250i integrated driving Eminent Technology LFT-16 speakers, LOVELY combo! Most of my lstening has been through that, but I've put a few hours with the X-1's directly to the Dynahi from the CD-5.

I should also have a pair of UR5's coming soon courtesy of Grover, I plan to do some comparing in my system as well.

It definitely seems that the Grover's & Oritek's are "setting the standard" in the $200 and under category. I have had MANY cables in that range and higher, and both of these seem to better others overall.

Based on what I read on the SteveHoffman forum about URx to UR5 improvements, it should be a lot of fun comparing! For me, though, having heard the X-1's now, it's the UR5's that will need to play catch-up. The X-1's clearly beat the UR2's in my system. Definitely keeping an open mind, though; want the best for me, that's the bottom line.

EDIT: Dang it, why do I always call it the CD-5 ???!!! E5, Todd... E5
redface.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #57 of 68
the E5>Dynahi combo is really magic to me. I just received my cables today and first impressions are very very good. They are very live sounding but not bright in any way. I really want to refrain from saying much before I've had the chance to listen more. You really could not go wrong with either the Grover UR5 or the Oritek X-1 they both represent an incredible value for the money surpassing what I have heard from the major players at this price point.
I'll be bringing both to the Tampa Fl meet so hopefully we can get a few more impressions. We are going to have a quiet room so hopefully we can get a few folks to try the two.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #58 of 68
Good to see that more people get their ears up for the X-1. It really is an amazing cable. After having it in my system for 3 weeks or so now, I am very reluctant to even think about trying any other cable. They sound fantastic to my ears.

And Ori is a great fellow, who go to great lengths to ensure that his customers are happy.

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise
I ended up grabbing a pair of X-1's from Ori. After only about 6-7 hours of listening time, I can EASILY say that these surpass all other cables I have, and (based on memory) many more I've had in the past!

My S-1 speaker cables were just ordered
icon10.gif
and I'll be selling some things off, to try the X-2 IC's next!

cool.gif

I'm so curious about the X-2!
When something like the X-1 comes along and eclipses everything else at hand, you have to wonder about the big brother. I was speculating it's the usual 5%-10% better and then I get a PM from some guy without posts who appears to have joined headfi just to PM me and let me know "You would not even believe how great the Oritek X-2 is (I'm the third owner in existence). It really isn't comparible to the X-1".
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Well I'll have to hear for myself of course.
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
I'll be bringing both to the Tampa Fl meet so hopefully we can get a few more impressions. We are going to have a quiet room so hopefully we can get a few folks to try the two.

That's cool. When's the meet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
Good to see that more people get their ears up for the X-1. It really is an amazing cable. After having it in my system for 3 weeks or so now, I am very reluctant to even think about trying any other cable. They sound fantastic to my ears.

And Ori is a great fellow, who go to great lengths to ensure that his customers are happy.

Yes on both counts.
I still make comparisons, and always will if convenient, but unlike in the past the comparisons are pretty short. Why torture myself!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back